Good SRW to Start With?

Having enjoyed when I was younger the two GBA OG SRW games, I wouldn't mind trying one of the old mainline ones now (I lack for a PS4, so no to anything recent). Sure I don't watch anime of any kind, but eh, I can adjust, it'll still be a soap opera in space. It wasn't like anyone in the OG duo was familiar to me either, or uncliched.

So, which of the old SRWs is an enjoyable, fan translated, starting point? Having played the GBA titles, I know the general gameplay formula. I don't need the easiest around. And I am willing to consider something a little antiquated if it is still good.

Being something of Alteisen & Steel Beowulf fan, how is Kyosuke's origin game? I got the impression Axel and Lamia come from a very unfun game concerning ally hit rates.

Of the GBA games, only J is fan-translated. Most of the other fan-translated games are more of the older ones. 2, 3, EX, and Alpha Gaiden are the other games with fan translations. More recent there's also the PSP remake of A.

If you have experience with the OG GBA games, then start with J. Also for the GBA, fan translated, and closest to the OG games. That'd be my recomendation.

Regarding Kyosuke's origin game... well, it depends. There's the original Compact 2 for the Wonderswan, and it's remake Impact, for the PS2. I can't really comment much about them. Other than being the longest SRW ever. Around 100 stages (original is around 95~, remake goes to 99, 101 if you unlock the true ending).

For Axel and Lamia's game, A, I can only speak of the GBA version, as I own it. The Hit rate issue is more a problem of the PSP remake, due to the new formula, form what I heard. A is more troubling as many units tend to either tank as heck or be glass cannons. On the other hand, you can kinda do the same to your units. Then once you beat the game once, you can turn the Getter Robo into quite the beast due to its part slots (like many games, part slots go from one to four; but A has a kind of NG+ that gives four to everyone; the Getter Robo, however, benefits overall from all three form's slots, so it gets twelve in total! It really adds up.). Final stages are certainly a pain. It might also get tedious since you can't skip battle animations. I never minded that, though.

Edited by Acacia Sgt

Aw, I was going to suggest the GBA OGs when I walked into the thread, but you already played them.

Yeah, I'd probably suggest either J (GBA) or A Portable, simply because they're the only two older translated ones I know off the top of my head. Though I haven't played much of either yet (still finishing up OG2).

Spoiler

2vgy49.jpg

JK, guys, I know that translating and patching a game is real hard work and that my useless self doesn't have anything to offer to the cause. I'm still sad though.

J's pretty much the starting point if a translation is a must and you're looking for the traditional crossover style.

After that it all depends on whether or not you're willing to try untranslated games.

If you must stick with translation, there's Alpha Gaiden for the PSX, definitely more difficult than J and OG2 on the GBA.

Otherwise, W, L and Z2 are easy ones to jump into after playing J and you can use this site as a resource for understanding what the skill points are, secrets and upgrade inheritance to make things easier. SRW games earlier than F Final tend to lack the option to turn off animations so they're hella slow to play.

As for Axel and Lamia's game, A, you will probably want to go with the PSP if you're looking for more "modern" aesthetic. The hit rate stuff is definitely true so you'll have to suffer through it in the earlygame.

Edited by Dr. Tarrasque