First playthrough of Conquest and apparently I got some bizarre rng blessed units

ragnell.

Hello! This is my first time playing Fates and I am doing it blind, playing in Hard, using characters as they come, marrying blind if they reach S support naturally, not doing side maps or DLC. As I don't know what skills gets each class I don't do much class change. Well, it seems my first conquest playthrough is a bit bizarre. By chance I saw in a comment that Odin and Selena are mediocre units and that the royals + silas are the best. Interestingly in my blind experience I assumed that Odin + Selena were top tier. Now in chapter 19 of conquest I got:

Selena lvl 5 Brave Hero: Hp 38, Str 22, Skill 26, Spd 28, Lck 19, Def 24, MgDef 11. Have not given a single stat booster. What surprised me is that selena tends to have bad skill, I thought that she was a classic swordmaster with high skill, speed and with the plus of having good defence. Thought that the only flaky side was her strength which can be solved with forged steel weapons.

Odin lvl 5 Sorcerer: Hp 33, Magic  24, skill 20, Spd 23, luck 20, Def 14, MagDef 18. Pretty decent, better mage than leon

Also got a fantastic Effie (lvl 6 great knight) with 27 defence,  28 strength and 20 speed.

Instead I got a glass Silas (paladin lvl 3) with 17 defense and mediocre 19 speed

A leon (lvl 7 dark knight) that can only chip damage and can't stand too much damage with 23 mag, 16 str, 19 speed, 19 def, 20 MagDef

Xander ate 2 speedwings just to not be doubled. But got great defense.

So I got lucky with mediocre units but not so much with good units like Silas & Kaze.

Take a lot of those tier lists with a grain of salt, in Fates especially your style of play (stance preference, skill vs stat preference, party composition, etc.), and restricts you place on your run will greatly impact what units are "good".

6 hours ago, ragnell. said:

Selena lvl 5 Brave Hero: Hp 38, Str 22, Skill 26, Spd 28, Lck 19, Def 24, MgDef 11.

That is an incredibly blessed Selena, everything is above her average (except Mdef, which is only 1 point lower)

(source: https://zekareisoujin.github.io/FEFatesStatCalc/)

As for Odin, he tends to turn out better if you use a heart seal on him ASAP, but even in Dark Mage/Sorcerer he can find a niche that very few others could fill. It take a bit of investment to make him good, he comes a bit under level with low bases, but high personal growths (that favor the physical side a little) and an excellent class change option. Usually his high defense (yours has apparently traded 6 def for 6 mdef from his averages, and with +3-4 magic to help be a more functional mage) plus his access to Vantage from his personal class change makes him the closest thing to a nostank this game has if you want him to end as a mage, although his personal growths are such that he makes a better Swordmaster. Your Leo would look a lot more comparable if you change him to Sorcerer, in Dark Knight he suffers from having mixed attacking stats that leave both mediocre (his personal skill adds+3 damage dealt and -1 damage taken from injured foes, which synergies well with the Maligknight's savage blow skill, so if he is near one it makes him look a lot better). Although neither hold a candle to Odin's daughter as a mage, if she has a magic mother (Ok Ophelia will never nostank like her father can, but otherwise...).

If you are worried about your Silas's physical tanking abilities you could switch him to Great Knight for 3 extra defense (although it would tank his mdef and give him a hammer weakness). The stats shown are +2 speed and -2 defense from average so he isn't that far off, although he is a bit lower level than the rest of your crew. Plus if you are keeping your Corrin above/at half health his amazing +3 damage dealt and -3 damage taken personal skill won't trigger (and that effective +3 def/mdef helps him tank a lot).

As for Xander that sounds about right for him, speed is his Achilles heel.

Edited by Eltosian Kadath

On 26/4/2019 at 1:32 PM, ragnell. said:

Selena lvl 5 Brave Hero: Hp 38, Str 22, Skill 26, Spd 28, Lck 19, Def 24, MgDef 11.

Odin lvl 5 Sorcerer: Hp 33, Magic  24, skill 20, Spd 23, luck 20, Def 14, MagDef 18. Pretty decent, better mage than leon

Instead I got a glass Silas (paladin lvl 3) with 17 defense and mediocre 19 speed

While I do not use her regularly, I am also surprised about Selena's Skill, mate. It surely helps that Hero's Skill growth and bonuses are the greatest in the game.
On a different campaign, try Selena as as Wyvern Lord. I do not value movement per se, but I do think that its growths and skills suit her better. And it is easy to get it from Beruka or Camilla, even if you do not plan to use those two.

Odin is a better mage than Leo, he is simply more difficult to use. And I am glad that you were lucky with his Speed (his shakiest growth), so that you may want to give him more chances on further campaigns. (And his daughter, Ophelia, is the most over-powered unit in the game.)

Silas's Defence is indeed disappointing. He is my default tank unit (I do not use Xander), and while his Speed or his Strength might have been low on some campaigns, I do not remember having issues with his Defence.

Using the royal siblings makes the game easier, but they are certainly not necessary. Ask Eltosian Kadath, he does Lunatic without them and using only ten units. He is nuts like that.

Enjoy Conquest. On Hard, the last third is challenging but always fair, and definitely not as demanding as on Lunatic. Have fun, mate!