About Edelgard's chapter 11

timon

I'm talking about the imperial succession ceremony, I haven't found anyone talking/asking about it, but what the hell is the meaning of this?

"in those dark times, your eyes and your fists were my salvation. Within your eyes I saw true care. And upon your fists clenched with indignity, I saw the blood that dripped and fell. Even as I bled, I felt that you, too, must also be bleeding"

Now note that english is not my first language, hence I could be missing something, but what are they talking about? Because to me it really sounds like Ionus beat Edelgard in the past and she's greateful for it? I mean "upon your fists I saw the blood" and then "as I bled"...

I read about pretty much I could find on her backstory, across what it's told in the 4 routes, and yet I can't find the reason he'd have her blood on his fists, or why she'd thank him for it (perhaps she felt like she deserved it, after the experimentations?).

She's saying that even as he stood stoically by as she suffered his fingers dug into his hands causing them to bleed and his eyes showed his real concern. Essentially she understood he hated all that happened to her even if he was powerless to stop it. 

I think, it's been a while since I went through it. Just a really flowery way of saying it, maybe due to translation.

Edited by CyberNinja
Added thoughts

He was powerless to help Edelgard against her abusers and got blood on him somehow by trying to protect her after/while she was being tortured.

His fists were clinched out of anger towards the people experimenting on her and his inability to stop them, I'd assume. 

Edelgard was abused and experimented on by those who slither in dark and lost her other 9 siblings in the process. the insurrection of seven was led by the same people who experimented on edlegards family. The emperor had lost much power do the insurrection so when his family was forced to be experimented on he could not do anything to stop it and he regrets it. This is basically the entire reason why the war was started.