My scented candles are not very scenty?

XRay

I bought some scented candles the other day, but today is the first time I actually lit scented candles. I was a bit disappointed that the smell was not as strong as I thought it would be. I could smell the difference when I leave my room and come back in, but once I am in the room, since the scent is pretty mild, my nose quickly adjusts to it and I cannot smell the scent anymore unless I stick my nose close to the candle or re-enter my room.

Are scented candles supposed to be this mild? I got two different candles and I lit both, but I cannot smell either even though my face is like two feet away.

Oh, and one of the wicks broke a little, so it is too short to be lit. I improvised and used toilet paper to create a floating-ish wick.

Edited by XRay

it's kinda hard to say I think, it's normal for noses to get used to a scent after being exposed to it long enough but it does sound like your candle may be on the milder side. Many candles have different strengths so it's certainly possible!

Specta has some candles that, after lit for long enough to fill the room, you can easily smell out from the hallway even though her door is shut. Like those are some heckin strong candles and maybe those are the kind you'd be hoping for. If you wanted I could ask her what brand(s) she gets! (or just ping her in here~)

I think a lot of scented candles are pretty mild because the scents they use can be irritating to people's respiratory systems when they're stronger (especially floral/vanilla scents). So it's probably not just your nose, it's just that the candlemakers are trying not to make you sneeze. (also when you have a short wick it's better to dig into the wax to make it possible to light, rather than improvise; wicks are covered in special chemicals that makes them easier to light than most things)

can confirm my asthma cannot tolerate too much of a candle scent/smoke/both

I have a candle that has three wicks and lighting all three makes my breathing worsen, I can only have two or less of them lit so that I don't get overwhelmed

I see, I guess I can try other scenty stuff after my candles are done. I think I will try incense next.

On 8/18/2019 at 11:46 AM, 0 Def Cleric said:

(also when you have a short wick it's better to dig into the wax to make it possible to light, rather than improvise; wicks are covered in special chemicals that makes them easier to light than most things)

That was the first thing I tried. The wick drowned in the wax that is melting. I tried to pull the wick up, but it is too slippery and it would not budge.