The Most Memorable Dining Experience Or Food You Ate

XRay

What are some of the most memorable meals, experiences, or foods you tried?

Costco Frozen Pizza: Horrible experience. I ate it twice. Sent me to the loo for like over an hour each time. Had severe stomachaches and diarrhea.

Coffee at Church: While most of the time I can drink coffee and feel fine, I generally avoid it because I am not a fan of the taste and there is decent chance that I can get a migraine. I decided to drink a cup of coffee that one time after church since they have lots of sugar and cream for me to mix it in. It tastes pretty good, as I can barely taste the bitterness. I do not remember how much I drank, but I did not think it was that much, but I started feeling like shit after a few minutes so I hailed a taxi home. I had a huge migraine for the rest of the day.

Steakhouse in Manhattan: A friend and her brother were visiting, and she wanted to go to this famous steakhouse (I forgot the name) and try their meats. It was delicious. I like my meats raw, or as raw as possible, and they know how to select and cool rare (as in almost raw) steaks. Their steak is so tender and juicy. You can cook any steak rare, but to get steak to be that tender or juicy, without much cooking, you need the right meat.

Thai Restaurant in Brooklyn: There is this great tasting restaurant down the corner of my street and they have great tasting Thai food for a decent price. They serve really good mock duck, and that is the most frequent protein choice I pick for me curries. They also have fried ice cream.

Mexican Restaurant in Brooklyn: Not particularly amazing, but sometimes I felt nostalgic for Mexican food so I went there to eat. It has that homey feel.

First Time I Cooked Filet Mignon: Boy was I hooked! I never bought any other steak again. The only beef I will buy these days are either ground beef or filet mignon.

Red Velvet Cake Icing: I was amazed by the cream cheese frosting/icing (I am not sure which term to use, are they the same?) and not really the cake as a whole. I interned at that bakery for a few months. The cake was just meh, but the icing was amazing. I am not a huge fan of sweets, so I was surprised about the fact that I really liked the icing. I sometimes bought the pudding (it is basically just the red velvet cake sans most of the cake, so basically 90% icing) when I headed home from work, and slowly indulge it over the next few days.

Thai Street Food: While in Bangkok, there is this amazing food stall on the side of the street. They serve a variety of street foods that you can choose from to put into a bowl, and then they pour a really good soup into the bowl, so kind of like an instant stew. I think I picked several types of meat balls, fish balls, and tofu.

There was a time when I went to iHop with my great grandfather and ordered myself up what was basically a massive overdose of chocolate.  I had:

• Chocolate-chip chocolate pancakes
  • Chocolate syrup
  • Chocolate milk

If I recall, the only edible thing on my plate that wasn't chocolate was the butter.

I was a kid, so I loved it at the time... but 5 hours later, deep regret had set in, in the form of a half-hour trip to the bathroom.

Then, like, 5 years later, it became a funny story I would often recount to friends and family.  I remember it not only because of just how ridiculous it was, but also because it was one of the last memories I had with my great grandfather.  I wasn't the closest to him - not like I am with my parents or grandparents - but it was a nice little memory to have with him before he passed on.  So for that it's a little bittersweet... although mostly sweet, 'cuz all the chocolate.

More recently, I downed an entire glass of champagne at my cousin's wedding because my sister's friend sparked a competitive edge in me while I was struggling just sipping it (I hate the taste of the stuff).  She made a motion like she was about to down her drink, so I went and actually downed mine.  Given I'm pretty much a lightweight, the result was a fuzzy head for probably the next hour or so.  Couldn't drive home in that state.

Idle Wild Park, now more commonly known as Idle Wild & Soak Zone since they changed their logo to include the water park section as part of the name, is an amusement park about an hour from here that I've been going to since I was little, and the hot dogs in the Hootin' Holler area (themed to a western style) are still the best hot dogs I've ever had. I got my dad to try one last time we were there and he agreed that they're really good too. I was a preschooler the first time I had one, and I've never gone to Idle Wild without getting one of those hot dogs since! Even though they're actually only on the kids menu. 😛

Just too bad I didn't get to go this year despite that I wanted to... Seemed like they'd fixed the issues they had a couple years ago (several broken rides, the Whip being taken apart and removed due to flood damage (the park sits low along a creek), the Rollo Coaster being refurbished after there was an accident on it...). They did have THREE power outages this summer, but from what I could tell it was more to do with their power supplier having problems. I do think they need a new ride though, they haven't added one in several years. And they got a lot of empty land around them.

I once got overcooked nasty shrimp at an Olive Garden. Was the first time I met shrimp that I didn't like since I absolutely love shrimp, cold or cooked. Been hesitant to eat at an Olive Garden since, though I decided to try the local one with my dad not long ago and it was actually good. So I'm less hesitant now.

This one doesn't really involve actual food, but one time my parents and brothers and I all went to eat at Denny's. We were still kids then. One of my brothers had brand new shoes. The waitress dropped a tray full of milkshakes and they spilled all over the shoes. Some of it splashed on my shoes too, and we both had to go clean our shoes up. We got free shakes in the end, but those poor new shoes, man.

I remember the first time I tried stuffed crust pizza, it was at a Pizza Hut with my uncle. He said it was great, I wasn't sure. I tried it, and I've always wanted to have some at Pizza Hut since. XD Though now you can find it in other places too, including some frozen pizzas at the grocery store. Pizza Hut will always be the true owner of that one though, they came up with it first! As far as I know anyway...

I accidentally knocked our tray of food on the floor at Disney World's Epcot once. I was with my dad here again. He had a knack for taking me places when I was growing up and still does now when he comes to visit (my mom divorced him when I was four or five and she had me live with her). He basically will go anywhere I want since he's just wanting to spend time with me to make up for not being able to actually help raise me, more or less. But anyway, this was the closest I'd ever seen my dad to actually being angry with me. He was always chill, never yelling or anything. He'd get annoyed, but never truly angry. Luckily for us, the staff were nice enough to give us more food at no extra cost.

One time at a German restaurant, we wound up waiting a full TWO HOURS for our food. Terrible service right there.

Oh, and this last one is probably the worst dining experience my family and I have ever had. We went to this steakhouse in Germany once (does Germany have a lot of crappy restaurants or something?). It was horrible! We all hated our food. The meat wasn't cooked right at all, and when I ordered the bacon dish, I expected a big slab of breakfast bacon. In this place's defense, that was probably a bit too crazy of an expectation, because when is bacon ever a main course? But what I did get was just...nasty. My mom and stepfather hated theirs and we just disliked it so much that we had them take our plates not long after getting them and just left without eating much. Sucked that my parents had to pay for any of that.

There's a restaurant in Minneapolis called Red Wagon Pizza that I unfortunately only went to once before moving, but it's easily the best pizza I ever had. We ordered the Double Pep which has an extra layer of cheese and pepperoni with garlic oil on top made with fresh ingredients and I was left absolutely speechless. I suspect it's going to be a really long time before I find pizza that good again.

I rarely go to the restaurants, but I remember a half cold pancake I ate in the Netherlands about 1.5 years ago. I went to the same restaurant again a few months ago and they did not learn their lesson. The pancake was not really warm. I consider it as a warm dish. 

Oh, last week I waited almost one hour for a pizza. It was as bad as going to a doctor in terms of waiting. 

I belong to these people who either cook or let the lunch deliver home. I absolutely feel uncomfortable eating in the publicity as I dislike talking while the lunch.

On 8/17/2019 at 8:22 PM, Ertrick36 said:

More recently, I downed an entire glass of champagne at my cousin's wedding because my sister's friend sparked a competitive edge in me while I was struggling just sipping it (I hate the taste of the stuff).  She made a motion like she was about to down her drink, so I went and actually downed mine.  Given I'm pretty much a lightweight, the result was a fuzzy head for probably the next hour or so.  Couldn't drive home in that state.

People normally drink chasers just for liquor to dilute the taste, but you can drink chasers for any other alcohol, drinks, and food too. Chasers basically just washout your mouth.

On 8/17/2019 at 10:11 PM, Anacybele said:

I once got overcooked nasty shrimp at an Olive Garden. Was the first time I met shrimp that I didn't like since I absolutely love shrimp, cold or cooked. Been hesitant to eat at an Olive Garden since, though I decided to try the local one with my dad not long ago and it was actually good. So I'm less hesitant now.

I have a friend who likes Olive Garden. I think it is not bad, but everytime I go there, I felt like I rather just make those dishes at home for half the price or less.

On 8/18/2019 at 5:27 AM, TheGoodHoms said:

There's a restaurant in Minneapolis called Red Wagon Pizza that I unfortunately only went to once before moving, but it's easily the best pizza I ever had. We ordered the Double Pep which has an extra layer of cheese and pepperoni with garlic oil on top made with fresh ingredients and I was left absolutely speechless. I suspect it's going to be a really long time before I find pizza that good again.

I really, really, really want to go to a pizza joint that serves vegan pizza near downtown in my city. I tried one of their vegan pizzas and it was amazing. I want to order another one, but I need to lose weight before I join the military so I cannot eat starchy foods nor foods with added sugar. I occasionally have a cheat day where I drink a can of soda, but I have been mostly avoiding carbs for the past 2 months.

On 8/18/2019 at 6:06 AM, Lysithea said:

Oh, last week I waited almost one hour for a pizza. It was as bad as going to a doctor in terms of waiting. 

Pizzas do take a while though. In the United States at least, unless you order a pepperoni pizza or cheese pizza, pizzas take about 20 to 40 minutes to make and the delivery can take about another 10 to 20 minutes. Pepperoni and cheese pizzas can generally be delivered faster since a lot of restaurants always have a few of those ready on hand since they are pretty popular due to their cheap price.

On 8/18/2019 at 4:33 PM, Espurrhoodie said:

It was at my cousin's wedding. I was in line for food. I shook my head a little.

I got my hair in my other cousin's food.

Interesting choice of garnish.

Edited by XRay

Just now, XRay said:

I have a friend who likes Olive Garden. I think it is not bad, but everytime I go there, I felt like I rather just make those dishes at home at half the price or less.

It's not my favorite either, just thought it was good enough. My favorite is Applebee's. XD

5 minutes ago, Anacybele said:

It's not my favorite either, just thought it was good enough. My favorite is Applebee's. XD

Yeah, Applebee's is good, I like their artichoke dip and fiesta chicken.

My favorite is Sizzler's. They have a the unlimited salad bar, which is basically a mini buffet with unlimited soups, pasta, tacos, fries, fried chicken wings, and obviously salad.

Edited by XRay

Just now, XRay said:

Yeah, Applebee's is good, I like their artichoke dip and fiesta chicken.

My favorite is Sizzler's. They have a the unlimited salad bar, which is basically a mini buffet with unlimited soups, pasta, tacos, fries, fried chicken wings, and obviously salad.

I love the all day brunch burger there! I get it almost every time I go. I've tried similar burgers before, that had egg and bacon on it, but this one has still been the best.

I've never heard of Sizzler's. Must not exist here.

3 minutes ago, Anacybele said:

I've never heard of Sizzler's. Must not exist here.

Yeah, it is mostly a West Coast thing and around the Pacific. I am kind of surprised they expanded internationally around the Pacific without expanding domestically towards the East Coast.

10 minutes ago, XRay said:

Yeah, it is mostly a West Coast thing and around the Pacific. I am kind of surprised they expanded internationally around the Pacific without expanding domestically towards the East Coast.

I see. Sounds like how our Eat'n Park works. It only exists here in the northeast. the farthest west you'll find is Ohio and the farthest south you'll find it is West Virginia. And like Sizzler's, it has a mini buffet, though in the morning it has breakfast. Later it just has salad and stuff, I think.

Eat'n Park is probably my favorite after Applebee's, actually. They're so fun and the food is great. If you ever see a big smiley face cookie, it's probably theirs. It's their big signature. They sued somebody over the cookie once lol because the cookie by that other somebody was too similar. I think that's just over the line, but hilarious.

Edited by Anacybele

2 hours ago, XRay said:

Pizzas do take a while though. In the United States at least, unless you order a pepperoni pizza or cheese pizza, pizzas take about 20 to 40 minutes to make and the delivery can take about another 10 to 20 minutes. Pepperoni and cheese pizzas can generally be delivered faster since a lot of restaurants always have a few of those ready on hand since they are pretty popular due to their cheap price.

Then I would never order in a restaurant but preorder via phone. 

But seriously, (italian) pizzas only last ten minutes at max independending on the toppings. 

Noodle dishes take a bit longer but not more than 15 minutes. 

Back when we were dating and both students, my wife tried making me weed brownies for Valentine's Day. 

She had no prior experience, no idea how much to use, and baked an entire $20 nug into one (1) brownie. (if you smoke all day, every day, thats enough weed to keep you high for a week straight. If you just smoking a little before bed that'll last a month)  

So she gives it to me. And in all fairness--she does warn me: "I don't know if I did this right. I might have used too much." 

I ate the whole thing. Then we went out to a Mexican Restaurant. 

...it hit me right after they sat us down + gave us our menus...

And I don't know how I ordered my enchilada.

But it was the greatest enchilada that ever was and ever will be. The greatest conceivable enchilada. No greater enchilada can be conceived. 

Edited by Shoblongoo

I had omelettes while I was in Japan, and omelettes have always been my favorite but the ones there somehow topped everything I already had. THEN, I had omurice, which is a rice dish inside of an omelette. Absolutely heavenly.