Pokémon Sword and Shield Spoiler Discussion

Lightchao42

• Replies 426
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I love the idea of mixing parts for the fossil Pokémon, but they sure look odd and not in the good sense. The Water/Ice one looks alright, but why doesn't the yellow top have a matching bottom? (Also, was the booger necessary?)

1 hour ago, Thane said:

I love the idea of mixing parts for the fossil Pokémon, but they sure look odd and not in the good sense. The Water/Ice one looks alright, but why doesn't the yellow top have a matching bottom? (Also, was the booger necessary?)

Supposed to illustrate the poor top half is too cold, I guess?

Looking more at these, the parts aren’t even attached appropriately. A head on a tail? Arctovish, even when appropriate, seems upside-down. This entire fossil’s game is fucked.

2 minutes ago, Dai said:

Supposed to illustrate the poor top half is too cold, I guess?

Yes but that's nasty! 

5 minutes ago, Dai said:

Looking more at these, the parts aren’t even attached appropriately. A head on a tail? Arctovish, even when appropriate, seems upside-down. This entire fossil’s game is fucked.

Yeah I wish there was...I don't know how to phrase it, a better sense of cohesion? I think the whale head looks the best with both bottoms (even if the dragon bottom makes it look odd, it at last looks a bit creepy in a good way), but the yellow head doesn't even have a lower half that matches it. Why not have two sets that fit and two that don't?

10 minutes ago, Thane said:

Yes but that's nasty! 

Yeah I wish there was...I don't know how to phrase it, a better sense of cohesion? I think the whale head looks the best with both bottoms (even if the dragon bottom makes it look odd, it at last looks a bit creepy in a good way), but the yellow head doesn't even have a lower half that matches it. Why not have two sets that fit and two that don't?

I ignore it. It’s been done before with Cubchoo.

As for the second...Sword2Shield2 bait?

33 minutes ago, Dai said:

Arctovish, even when appropriate,

Arcrovish isn't appropriate either. The bottom half is the same bottom that Arcrozolt has. It's just harder to notice it on the leaked picture. Also, it's head is on backwards.

1 hour ago, Thane said:

Also, was the booger necessary?

I think Arctozolt has the booger to demonstrate how it's not used to this foreign cold body it's attached to.

26 minutes ago, Thane said:

Yeah I wish there was...I don't know how to phrase it, a better sense of cohesion?

There isn't supposed to be a sense of cohesion though. There's two dragon heads. Two fish heads. Two giant tails. Two icy bottoms. All four sets belong to a different species of pokemon.

Edited by NegativeExponents-

4 minutes ago, NegativeExponents- said:

I think Arctozolt has the booger to demonstrate how it's not used to this foreign cold body it's attached to.

Yes, that much is obvious at first glance, but I don't think I could've thought of a less appealing design decision (that'd fit in a Pokémon game) even if I tried.

5 minutes ago, NegativeExponents- said:

There isn't supposed to be a sense of cohesion though. There's two dragon heads. Two fish heads. Two giant tails. Two icy bottoms. All four sets belong to a different species of pokemon.

I understand that as well, but I think the yellow dragon looks so bad. I kind of like the big blue boi because of how creepy it looks, but the yellow dragon just looks awkward. I love the idea in general though and hope it returns, but knowing Pokémon, it won't. 

Bah, and here I was looking forward to an Ice/Electric type. I'll have to make do with all the amazing Bug types that have leaked.

10 minutes ago, Thane said:

Yes, that much is obvious at first glance, but I don't think I could've thought of a less appealing design decision (that'd fit in a Pokémon game) even if I tried.

I understand that as well, but I think the yellow dragon looks so bad. I kind of like the big blue boi because of how creepy it looks, but the yellow dragon just looks awkward. I love the idea in general though and hope it returns, but knowing Pokémon, it won't. 

Bah, and here I was looking forward to an Ice/Electric type. I'll have to make do with all the amazing Bug types that have leaked.

Oh ok I see. Yeah I agree, the concept is neat but I can see why someone wouldn't like the design. Personally I'm a fan of all of them except the yellow dragon with the big tail. For some reason that one looks especially awkward and wrong to me. Edit: and I just realized I dislike it because it reminds me of animal heads being displayed on walls as trophies. Those always creep me out.

I honestly kinda agree. I adore the concept but the designs themselves in a vacuum are pretty... okay they're kinda bad, frankly. They're REALLY carried by the gimmick.

They look unnatural which is likely intended and all but it doesn't really make them... good designs.

Still I think we have enough good designs elsewhere that I can let something slide based on its concept alone.

Edited by Emerson

More stuff.

New Mons

Spoiler

EIhHOWyX0AAKcHa?format=jpg&name=small

Punk electric/poison has another form?

EIhIUxMXkAAOfxh?format=jpg&name=small

Final form apple dragon?

EIhOtzOX0AAfqye?format=jpg&name=small

Falinks can separate?

EIhNe8yW4AIHflG?format=jpg&name=360x360

An urchin of some sort.

EIhNerfW4AEYBoj?format=jpg&name=360x360EIhNejHWwAA4wt0?format=jpg&name=small

Ice Cube Penguin

MASSIVE SPOILERS

Spoiler

EIe5RkbU0AAGpX7?format=jpg&name=large

EIhJJhWWsAAEvTQ?format=jpg&name=small

Doggos without gear.

Hey so we have confirmation on dex number.
It is, indeed, 400 flat with no extra.

Anyways i LOVE Appletun (the apple dragon final form)
Like the line before but the final is so cute!!
Team so far is Intelleon/Rolycoly/Appletun.

Also, regarding the first one, apparently the smaller Poison/electric frog evolves into either the first one we saw, a pure electric, or the latter, a pure poison, then... I'm not sure if this is right but I've seen people saying both then evolve into an Electric/Poison final evo. Odd.

Edited by Emerson

5 minutes ago, Emerson said:

I’ve read that there is an expanded postgame Dex that brings it up to over 600, but we’ll see.

Spoiler

Please don't let that be the final evolution of the apple dragon. It looks so silly; the apple dragon's middle evolution looked cool while this is just a big derp! I was planning on using that thing on my team.

It looks like my team will be practically all bugs.

12 minutes ago, Dai said:

I’ve read that there is an expanded postgame Dex that brings it up to over 600, but we’ll see.

That was false, we have an actual statement from the early copy leaker (which all these images are from) that it's only 400. Plus any mythicals we're unaware of.

7 minutes ago, Thane said:
  Hide contents

Please don't let that be the final evolution of the apple dragon. It looks so silly; the apple dragon's middle evolution looked cool while this is just a big derp! I was planning on using that thing on my team.

It looks like my team will be practically all bugs.

Apparently, it’s a Lycanroc situation. Version exclusive evos.

5 minutes ago, Emerson said:

That was false, we have an actual statement from the early copy leaker (which all these images are from) that it's only 400. Plus any mythicals we're unaware of.

Gotcha.

Side view fossils

Spoiler

EIhXd62UcAEDYfa?format=jpg&name=medium

EIhXOh9U4AAczq-?format=jpg&name=medium

Indeedee Expanded

Spoiler

EIhPzbAXUAAG5ba?format=jpg&name=360x360

Female

EIhPzi3XUAEZL8i?format=jpg&name=small

Male

Area Spoiler

Spoiler

EIhbZIBXsAAIHrm?format=jpg&name=large

Gorgeous

Edited by Dai

7 minutes ago, Emerson said:

Anyways i LOVE Appletun (the apple dragon final form)
Like the line before but the final is so cute!!
Team so far is Intelleon/Rolycoly/Appletun.

The dex number has been confirmed for a while but all I've got to say now that someone brought it up here is, wow, 14 more pokemon than a game that came out on GBA in 2002. Thanks GF. Because everyone knows the Switch is on par with GBA and not significantly more powerful than it or any other console pokemon has been in.

10 minutes ago, Dai said:

The "leaker" who posted that is not the same reliable leaker that's been showing us everything else. They also provided no evidence that that was the case so I would take this rumor with the whole salt shaker.

This why I'm just gonna get it used.

Anyway, rant aside, I was hoping that the poison/electric dragon line would end on what we had seen before because so far final evolutions have not being going well with me but I actually still like where this one ended.

Pie dragon is also amazing. I thought it was cool before but this is just adorable.

Penguin I'm conflicted on but I'm happy there's another penguin and I still like it better than the whole piplup line.

Falinks splitting is neat. I like the little spiky helmet dudes

3 minutes ago, NegativeExponents- said:

The dex number has been confirmed for a while but all I've got to say now that someone brought it up here is, wow, 14 more pokemon than a game that came out on GBA in 2002. Thanks GF. Because everyone knows the Switch is on par with GBA and not significantly more powerful than it or any other console pokemon has been in.

uhhh gba also didnt have high quality models and an entire massive overworld to work on. thats a fucking awful comparison

that said i really blame dynamax for the limited space, and GF being bad programmers
I think 400 pokemon dex is fine (especially with a healthy variety of new Pokemon) although I really think they ought to just... bite the bullet and have downloadable stuff next gen

anyways

Spoiler

eLO21iE.jpg

pretty

6 minutes ago, Emerson said:

uhhh gba also didnt have high quality models and an entire massive overworld to work on. thats a fucking awful comparison

that said i really blame dynamax for the limited space, and GF being bad programmers
I think 400 pokemon dex is fine (especially with a healthy variety of new Pokemon) although I really think they ought to just... bite the bullet and have downloadable stuff next gen

Pfft. That ain’t happenin’. Only thing I’ve seen downloadable is an update for something busted.

Just now, Dai said:

Pfft. That ain’t happenin’. Only thing I’ve seen downloadable is an update for something busted.

Like I said, next Generation, ESPECIALLY after all the backlash. But, we'll see.

13 minutes ago, Emerson said:

"High quality" is subjective and definitely not the way I would put it. Also pixel artwork takes significantly more skill and money to do then cheap models. And they're also models that they've been reusing since forever now. Most dynamax are just the same model but bigger. The exception are the gigantamax which are completely new obviously. And I wouldn't say a massive empty overworld with terrible textures, still water that doesn't react to anything, the ever infamous n64 tree, and the berry trees which sticks out like a sore thumb compared to everything else are all that great.

But yeah I at least agree patches would alleviate and help many overlook the problems.

3 minutes ago, NegativeExponents- said:

"High quality" is subjective and definitely not the way I would put it. Also pixel artwork takes significantly more skill and money to do then cheap models. And they're also models that they've been reusing since forever now. Most dynamax are just the same model but bigger. The exception are the gigantamax which are completely new obviously. And I wouldn't say a massive empty overworld with terrible textures, still water that doesn't react to anything, the ever infamous n64 tree, and the berry trees which sticks out like a sore thumb compared to everything else are all that great.

But yeah I at least agree patches would alleviate and help many overlook the problems.

I'm not talking about time, nor skill. I'm talking about space. And in absolutely no way are these models cheap or sloppily made, there's a reason they stopped making 100-150 new Pokemon after Gen 5, they take quite a lot of resources to make, as well as make sure they work in the new/altered engine, and with every new feature that uses them. Sprites may also take plenty of hard work, but by no means are they any easier or harder to do than a 3d model, especially ones of such quality as the Pokemon ones, but they ARE significantly smaller. Ignoring the animations, which yes they are bland (which is a whole other topic), the models aren't just something you throw together in a few minutes.
And a reminder that, allegedly, Sword and Shield had issues with the old models. Meaning apparently they remade them all. Now don't get me wrong, thats a terrible way for them to do things. But they did do that, apparently.
The models were also MADE to be used for a long period of time. There's a reason they lagged the 3ds, beyond some other GF bad programming. They're pretty high poly count for what they needed to be and have a pretty large file size because of it.

also HAH there it is! Dynamax isn't just blowing up the model. You can't. It'd look absolutely awful, even for how high poly count models like these. They had to make new models most likely. Even at up to 12,000+ tris, I can't imagine they'd work blown up. I don't have personal experience with such a thing, but it's not hard to visualize. That said if they did I'd be rather impressed that a model like that could run on a 3ds alongside up to 3 other ones of the same size plus an environment and other models.

Next, the environments really aren't that bad, at all. Firstly, the wild area is a big open area because it's... a big open area. It is the size of like 1-2 regions in BotW, apparently. And that all has to get loaded. We also have seen like... 1 part of it in any proper demo. Which is the starting area.
Secondly... yeah the trees are kinda awful honestly. It's an awful model but it's like, the 1 exception so far. Everything else ranges from acceptable to pretty good. Texture work isn't even *that* bad. It's better than Three House's in any case lmao god some of that game's textures can be awful.
The bad stuff's also in the 1 big wide open area, meanwhile the towns and other locations look great.

But I actually do agree their water needs hella work, especially in that last image we got? Looks pretty great, but the water is really bad right up against the rocks.

Now, what personally surprises me is that Sword and Shield is 10 gigabytes. Only 10? They could've done more, so I'm not sure what made them stop honestly, BotW is 13GB. THAT'S the oddity to me personally. Is... GF really that bad at programming..? Or are the limits of the game made during development, and not what's put on the cartridge..?