Strategy 101

sandmanccl

Lesson #1: You can always protect your weaker support units.

To prove it, we'll take a straight-up open field, like the one in FE10 where you are the Mercs and the Royal Knights are considered "other units" as you go and attack Begnion forces. (I forget the specific map number, but I hope you know which one I'm talking about.

First and foremost, the majority of enemies do not actively pursue your units. They sit on their laurels and wait until you are within their range of movement to attack. With this in mind, let's now go to my open field diagram, represented in ASCII. It's a 38x43 block, just FYI. (Found a random grid pattern on google and just used MS Paint to doctor is up.)

The Purple Square is going to be the enemy, and for the sake of most extreme example, let's make it a paladin or dragonknight or anything with 9 movement. Black = tank unit (anyone that can survive literally every single thing that can possibly attack him/her on the enemy phase), Orange = squishy unit (mages, healers, archers, units you plan to baby, etc.)

Colored squares represent his attack range. (I hope you guys appreciate this because this took me quite awhile to do. I'm not very good with MSpaint. Oh god I miss photoshop :(. )

Picture #1 (link rather than image to save bandwidth)

As you can see, our bad guy has quite a bit of range. 9 movement + 1 more for where he can attack doesn't leave us a whole lot of field to work with. They key here is to eliminate space that the enemy can move to. I know I stuck 4 guys out there, but the point is to make due with as little as possible, so let's just use 2 to the best of our abilities.

Picture #2

Tiering out your guys eliminates a total of 4 spots an enemy could attack. You can safely move your squishier unit up now, even up directly behind one of the tanks (I left an extra spot because the orange next to the red got confusing). A third tank moved up to create a wedge (a spot left and down from the one north-most) will eliminate another 4 spots the enemy can attack.

This is probably the best possible move to make on your turn. (If you're just using 2 tanks and a healer. I'm not sure why I added the other group of 3 but the image is already made and I'm lazy.) Your guys aren't going to be able to attack the guy as he's just too far away, so you move up as far as possible while securing as much safe turf as you can to move other units into. You've now got 4 more spaces to move more of your team up just a little bit further. Moving your tanks anywhere inside his movement range without another person near them will only eliminate a single, solitary attack point and will force more of your team to stay further behind.

After editing this last paragraph like 50 times because it kept coming out confusing (still kind of does), I realize I'm very tired and should go to bed rather than explain strategical procedure.

I realize most of this is complete "duh" to everyone out there, so toss more hypotheticals at me (like what if the enemy moves closer to you and you begin your phase without the ability to securely kill the bogie, or if there's more than just one guy sitting out there and where exactly he's at, etc. etc.) and I'll try to explain as best I can how you keep everyone safe and sound.

At least you're being mature about it.

To stay on-topic:

Lesson #1: You can always protect your weaker support units.

No, not always. Think FE6 Ch7, with quite a few huge range enemies about. Your own "tanks" cannot live through more than 3-4 assaults reliably, and you cannot camp safely without the NPC dudes dying. And even if you can always protect your weaksauces, it hugely reduces their efficiency (since they can only go to safe squares), and the efficiency of your tanks (since they can only be put so that there are enough safe squares to put your weaksauces on). And obviously, there must be some kind of reason you are using weaksauces to begin with, which usually requires them to be somewhere near enemies, making safe spaces hard to create.

I'm sure there are people here that could do with strategy lessons. Whether they actually read this or not is another matter, but whatever.

That said, this situation doesn't make up the majority of the game. If you're going to do this seriously, you'll need other common situations like chokepoints, bosses, and strategies for efficient damage dealing (hard to describe :blink:) and specific terrain. And that's just scratching the surface.

Edited by CO_Fimbulvetr

This actually could be a useful thread. I'm an FE vet now, but I learned strategy the hard, hard way. <_<

Tips for various units might be nice. For example, I've never found knights useful, due to their pitiful move. How should I adjust my style to fit these otherwise awesome d00ds?