Some Misconceptions about Brawl...

Knife

1) Brawl is supposed to be a party game. Why don't all you competitive people chill out?

Brawl is only a game. This applies to everyone, casual or not. Brawl is meant to be played however the hell you want. If you want to play on Flat Zone 2 with all items on high, that's okay. If you want to play only on Final Destination with no items on, that's okay to. But people shouldn't force their playstyles on each other. What one person calls boring may be fun for another.

2) Why do people think that having items on reduces the amount of skill needed in this game? Having items on actually increases the amount of skill needed. If not, why can't we use Smash Balls only?

Lol, no. The problem is that items spawn in random places, faster characters can get to them quicker, and some release random results (like a Pokeball releasing Latios & Latias). Final Smashes detract from skill for most of the same reasons. Certain characters can break the ball quicker and easier, some Final Smashes are crap compared to the others, and it also somewhat depends on where it spawns.

3) How are the characters in Brawl unbalanced? Each character has some strengths and some weakness, but they all balance out in the end.

This was the hardest thing for me to accept. While skill is the main factor, once you reach a certain amount of skill, you can't go higher. That's why people use higher tier characters to win. Luck will always be a factor in matches, even on Final Destination with no items, so there are never any guarantees that a Bowser will lose to Metaknight. Some characters dominate others (in Brawl's case, Metaknight), while some have a low chance of winning (like Ganondorf). The only possible way Brawl, or any competitive game, could completely balanced was if all the characters were exact clones.

Here's the thing about items. Before I played, I was all like ITEMS ARE GREAT! THEY'RE NOT JUST LUCK BASED, THEY MAKE THE GAME REQUIRE MORE SKILL!

However, as I became more skilled, I gradually realized that items are worthless and only get in the way. It's hard to understand. The only way to understand this is by getting to be skilled. Then you'll realize that items maul the need for real skill, and put a huge emphasis on luck.

Now, I absolutely never use items (except for BrawlBall or Allah), and I only go on fair stages like Animal Crossing and Final D.

2) Why do people think that having items on reduces the amount of skill needed in this game? Having items on actually increases the amount of skill needed. If not, why can't we use Smash Balls only?

Lol, no. The problem is that items spawn in random places, faster characters can get to them quicker, and some release random results (like a Pokeball releasing Latios & Latias). Final Smashes detract from skill for most of the same reasons. Certain characters can break the ball quicker and easier, some Final Smashes are crap compared to the others, and it also somewhat depends on where it spawns.

Even though I am a "competitive" player, I disagree here. While some items are undeniably broken becuase there is no or little risk and strategy that comes with them like Pokeballs, other items have a risky and require some intelligence to use, such as bumpers and hammers. It does not matter about the random spawning for those kind of items. And I do not understand the argument that some final smashes are stronger than others. Some characters have stronger projectiles than others for example and are projectiles banned? Final Smashes themselves and the ability to obtain one are just factors in the overall strength of a character.

Bumpers have high knockback(I don't know if they kill with good directional input though) and spawn as randomly as any other item.

People can't control when FS's spawn or where. An advantage is already given to the guy closer to wherever it is, and they can probably wait for you to take one hit then steal it. That's dumb.

Even though I am a "competitive" player, I disagree here. While some items are undeniably broken becuase there is no or little risk and strategy that comes with them like Pokeballs, other items have a risky and require some intelligence to use, such as bumpers and hammers. It does not matter about the random spawning for those kind of items. And I do not understand the argument that some final smashes are stronger than others. Some characters have stronger projectiles than others for example and are projectiles banned? Final Smashes themselves and the ability to obtain one are just factors in the overall strength of a character.

Actually, Hammers can be countered by certain characters with projectiles and counter abilities, making characters without those ability to become more helpless. And yes, it does matter where they spawn because you're still going to benefit from that random spawn.

Final Smashes are the character's best move (for most characters anyway). There's a reason why there is limited access to them. However, some characters' best moves are much better than the others.