Political Correctness

Ragnell

Examples of political correctness include: using the word "African Americans" instead of "blacks" (or any racial slurs), using the term "homosexual" instead of "gay" or "lesbian" (or any racial slurs), not being George Carlin, etc.

I think it's a bunch of bull, to an extent. Words have the power that you give them. If you give them power to control you, then that's not my problem.

I was speaking more of what specifically the topic creator had in mind, being as getting it mixed up is a common thing. Though I am against it, I think everyone should say what is on their mind, the human race should not be babied along to the grave.

I can understand why people would want to avoid offending others. But political correctness is running amok all over our beautiful languages. Like Death said, people should say what's on their mind, not sugarcoat everything because they are scared of offending people.

Edited by Shuuda

Examples of political correctness include: using the word "African Americans" instead of "blacks" (or any racial slurs), using the term "homosexual" instead of "gay" or "lesbian" (or any racial slurs), not being George Carlin, etc.

Win.

I remember doing a topic like this a while back ago. I;m just going to copypasta what I said there:

Me, I am not really p.c. In fact, I joke about just about anything and everything under the sun. I don't care if I hurt anyone feelings because I'm just joking and my jokes and stories shouldn't be taken seriously. I be honest with you, sometimes, I like to talk and discussion about taboo subjects and joke around with it because that is how I learn from them and learn from the failures of it, and not try to overlook the taboo's flaws.

People just need that jokes are jokes and that the world isn't full of happiness, peace, and love.

I think it's a bunch of bull, to an extent. Words have the power that you give them. If you give them power to control you, then that's not my problem.

Some blacks are offended by African American since they're not from Africa and their family has been living in America for several generations. I t hink black is less offensive in general.

Edited by Rei

It needs to be there to some extinct, but nowadays it is just sad how much there is.

I am white, I am not an European American.

Also being politically correct can be wrong. My neighbor is white, his parents are white, his parents are also from south Africa, they did not move there, their family's had been there for generations before they moved to America, but according to political correctness he is not African. I also have a friend that is Jamaican, now is Jamaica part of Africa? No, it is not. But, political correctness still says he is African American.

Some blacks are offended by African American since they're not from Africa and their family has been living in America for several generations. I t hink black is less offensive in general.

Yeah, it's moving away from that in the general populace, but in general news reports and politicians (hence the term "political" correctness) still stick with African American, despite, as Bed Time Bear pointed out, gross inaccuracies with using the term. And Death, it has nothing to do with the government. People just like being able to bunch other people into groups, but don't want to offend them in the process because that usually causes problems.

Edited by Crystal Shards

And Death, it has nothing to do with the government. People just like being able to bunch other people into groups, but don't want to offend them in the process because that usually causes problems.

You are speaking of general person to person conversation, and I am speaking in a broad way about the general terms used to classify people by race that are put onto everyone. Just two sides of the same coin as far as I am concerned. And here's a great big smile. :D

To be honest, political correctness equates to politeness. One would normally not call an old women an old hag for example so therefore you would not call an African American with any racial slur out of respect.

The only problem with this though is that people nowadays are too sensitive when it comes to political incorrectness. People need to understand the difference between jokes and respect... :/

To be honest, political correctness equates to politeness. One would normally not call an old women an old hag for example so therefore you would not call an African American with any racial slur out of respect.

The only problem with this though is that people nowadays are too sensitive when it comes to political incorrectness. People need to understand the difference between jokes and respect... :/

I disagree. Political correctness != politeness.

Saying a black man is black isn't impolite, but it isn't polically incorrect either. Calling him an "african american" is politically correct, but may be even interpreted as an insult by the listener (and therefore impolite).

I think political correctness is a bunch of crap. Yes, you should try not to hurt people's feelings, but what is happening now is WAY overboard. Now I know words like "retard" are overused as an insult now, but that is actually a condition. And telling me they're "special" doesn't tell me anything. It's taking away freedom of speech.

And the word black isn't even used offensively, so I don't know why that is no longer politically correct. I still use it most of the time 'cause it's less to write. :D

Saying a black man is black isn't impolite, but it isn't polically incorrect either. Calling him an "african american" is politically correct, but may be even interpreted as an insult by the listener (and therefore impolite).

Interpretation is in the ear of the beholder. Maybe it is just me but "African American" has more formality than "black."

Interpretation is in the ear of the beholder. Maybe it is just me but "African American" has more formality than "black."

I'm not trying to slam you, but I don't hear Caucasian (or however you spell it) as much as African American. If black isn't the right word, neither should white be the right term for "Caucasians". Personally, white and black are so much quicker and easier to say/write than Caucasian and African American then again everthing formal is harder than informal.

Edited by Ragnell