Lecturing and Tutoring

Voiced

I always get anxiety when I think about time limits in games. So this leads me to my question about lecturing and tutoring for proficiencies.

If I plan to go into the master classes for all my units, do I have enough time with just lecturing and tutoring if I set their goals accordingly, without any external grinding? Like the flying/riding that needs A rank, is just ridiculous in my mind. I'm just unsure if I will make it in time.

Short answer: yes

long answer: lecturing and tutoring aren’t the only ways to improve rank, though they are the most significant. However, you can also raise skill ranks in combat. Weapons go up regardless of class, as long as you use the weapon you want to raise. Stuff like flying and riding needs you to be in a class that uses the respective mount. Every fight you participate in gives points towards the respective rank, so as long as it isn’t a bane and you actually give them a class to train their ranks, you’ll be able to reach A rank quite easily. Depending on difficulty, you may be able to reach A+, S or even S+.

It’s also worth pointing out that if you can’t make it in time for whatever reason, you can still attempt the exam with a lower chance of passing, even if, say you only got flying up to B rank.

Edited by Anathaco

Upgrading the four saint statues (and sauna if you have DLC) can give bonus when tutoring. There are also two knowledge gems in the game that can help skill and class mastery in battles. 

Like Anathaco mentioned, you can attempt the exam without fulfilling all the requirements. As long as you have more than 30% chance, the game allows you to take the exam. The detail of the calculation can be found here: https://fe3h.com/classes . The TL;DR is that each missing rank (B to B+ count as 1 missing rank) reduces 20% chance of succeeding the master class exam, and a unit's Luck stat helps with passing the exam. Therefore, a unit with 2 or 3 missing ranks can still have a decent chance succeeding. You can plan the progression according to unit's bane and boon, and whether you want their specific combat arts/spells/skills from the according ranks. 

Also, the master seals don't become readily available until Chapter 15, if I remember correctly. Before that, there are only five available in the main shop. So no need to rush for the entire team. If by the end of the game, you really want to rush for a certain unit, reloading a New Chapter save (the save at the end of the previous chapter/month) will reset the rng for exams in the current month.

Edited by DriftingWaterBottle