Difficulty Setting Differences

Does anyone know what exactly changes between the four difficulty settings? I started my first run on Easy and have been steadily upping the difficulty over time, and I'm currently on my first Maddening run. So far, aside from higher enemy levels and better drops, I'm not really noticing much of a difference, is that all there is to it? I don't mind too much, but it's odd if the difficulty settings are basically just for upping the level of enemies. As a result of how I've been gradually increasing the difficulty, Maddening doesn't actually feel much harder, because I didn't swap to it until my characters were strong enough to handle it. The difficulty settings seem more like a clunky version of games where enemies scale to your level rather than a change in overall difficulty.

Edited by ZanaLyrander

1 minute ago, Fabulously Olivier said:

It's basically just levels (+20 for hard, +100 for maddening), but the peon AI does get more aggressive on Hard and Maddening.

Ah, that's a fair point, I did notice that when I swapped to Hard the basic grunts attacked a bit more frequently, though no real noticeable change for Maddening.
It is odd that on Maddening enemies can exceed the level cap. The player characters can't go past level 120, but the enemies frequently exceed that.

1 minute ago, ZanaLyrander said:

Ah, that's a fair point, I did notice that when I swapped to Hard the basic grunts attacked a bit more frequently, though no real noticeable change for Maddening.
It is odd that on Maddening enemies can exceed the level cap. The player characters can't go past level 120, but the enemies frequently exceed that.

It is pretty common for dlc to increase level caps. But even if it doesn't happen, it's not bad game design. 

One of my favorite games of all time, Guild Wars, capped the player at 20, with enemy levels getting as high as the low 30s. It was just meant to be overcome through proper skill selection and teamwork.

Just now, Fabulously Olivier said:

It is pretty common for dlc to increase level caps. But even if it doesn't happen, it's not bad game design. 

One of my favorite games of all time, Guild Wars, capped the player at 20, with enemy levels getting as high as the low 30s. It was just meant to be overcome through proper skill selection and teamwork.

Oh yeah, I don't mind honestly, especially for boss characters. It's just interesting and noteworthy when the NPCs are working from a different set of rules compared to the player.

29 minutes ago, Fabulously Olivier said:

It's basically just levels (+20 for hard, +100 for maddening), but the peon AI does get more aggressive on Hard and Maddening.

+100?! That's crazy. Also, does this only apply to paralogues and chapter fights, or to all content?

1 minute ago, Shadow Mir said:

+100?! That's crazy. Also, does this only apply to paralogues and chapter fights, or to all content?

All content. Maddening is quite a difficulty spike, though I've been having very little difficulty with it with mostly level 70-80 characters.