Need help. Is Shin Megami Tensei V DLC worth it?

Jotari

I've been wanting to pick up Shin Megami Tensei V for quite a while and right now it's on sale on Nintendo's EShop for 33% discount, so now is the time to purchase it, even though I won't get to it for a while. However I need to choose between buying the base game at 33% off or the base game+DLC at 33% of (unlike SMT III, strangely enough, which I've also just bought but was only on sale with the DLC included, giving a weird situation where the DLC+Game bundle was actually cheaper than the game).

Normally I'm pretty hands on with DLC in games, but idk, for an RPG like this I feel like any extra quests they throw at you will just be busy work. Either that or ridiculous instant win items (which to be fair might not be unwarrented in SMT). Of course if there's significant plot stuff in there too then I might want that. Wondering if anyone has experience with the game and can help me decide before the black Friday sale ends.

The DLC's biggest sell imo is the Demi-Fiend quest. The Demi-Fiend is probably the toughest fight in the game, and a lot of fun if you like the challenge. The boss fights leading up to it, if you do them at the right level, also have their fair amount of challenge, but the game doesn't tell you when to do them so you can mess that up.

All the other demons unlockable from the DLC are great and have fun moves, but you're not hugely missing out without them. Their quests are also not particularly tough to clear (although of course, a couple of levels can make the difference between massively rough fight and manageable). So it's basically, do you want a huge boss fight (that you may even have to wait till NG+ to clear). 

I'm normally a sucker for DLC content, and am a big fan of the series so it was a no-brainer for me. But there's nothing plot-relevant in the DLC quests either, their main benefit is giving you demons with great skills/resistances. It's not game-breaking, but it isn't essential playing either.

2 hours ago, Jotari said:

What does this mean?

The Magatama are enemies that give a lot of experience and money when you beat them. The DLC unlocks a setting were you can increase their spawn rate. So you can turn it off if you don't want that.

11 hours ago, Jotari said:

What does this mean?

The Magatama come in 4 versions Blue that drops Glory crystals, Yellow that drop sellable items for easy money, Red which drops Grimoires that are a rare candy for your demons and Grey which drops Gospels which are rare candies for Nahobino. They have extremely tiny spawn rates in game but the dlc cranks that up to a million. you will see more Magatama then normal enemies.

3 hours ago, ciphertul said:

The Magatama come in 4 versions Blue that drops Glory crystals, Yellow that drop sellable items for easy money, Red which drops Grimoires that are a rare candy for your demons and Grey which drops Gospels which are rare candies for Nahobino. They have extremely tiny spawn rates in game but the dlc cranks that up to a million. you will see more Magatama then normal enemies.

I think I'd like a bit more of a balance between "So rare you'll barely ever see it" and "More common than regular enemies" 😕

4 hours ago, Jotari said:

I think I'd like a bit more of a balance between "So rare you'll barely ever see it" and "More common than regular enemies" 😕

Yea, there is no real balance there. I ran thru the whole first area and found 1 blue magatama the whole time. So all I could say is have it off then only turn it on if you need any of what is give then shut it back off.

I think I've settled on not getting the packaged DLC. The only thing from it that really interests me is the super boss, and if I find myself being really into the game and wanting to fight it, well then it's not that big a loss to buy the DLC at full price.