What we know of Engage's mechanics so far.

DefyingFates

Speaking of weapon rank, I really hope S rank weapons are not trash this time, seeing that weapon rank is the only thing infantry units have over mounted ones (seems like mounted classes have better bases for some reason, and Chain Attack while looks cool is kinda minor). In most games, they come to late for players to have fun with them (not really a problem though, since not many units would reach S rank, and they are really useful for the time they are in), while in Fates, they are just straight up trash.

• Replies 337
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yeah, I'm hoping with fixed ranks and unbreakable weapons, we can actually get use out of S ranks rather than what normally happens where they are only used in the last chapter or like you mentioned in Fates, have such bad cons that outweigh to pros, using forged iron weapons is better

40 minutes ago, kienquocsi said:

Speaking of weapon rank, I really hope S rank weapons are not trash this time, seeing that weapon rank is the only thing infantry units have over mounted ones (seems like mounted classes have better bases for some reason, and Chain Attack while looks cool is kinda minor). In most games, they come to late for players to have fun with them (not really a problem though, since not many units would reach S rank, and they are really useful for the time they are in), while in Fates, they are just straight up trash.

Early on I saw speculation that break isn't guaranteed from weapon triangle advantage and chance to break depended on your weapon rank (more specifically, the difference between your weapon rank and the enemy's). Was that ever confirmed? Would give the higher weapon ranks some value besides S rank weapons. Personally I expect something like brave weapons are A rank and good staves to be above C rank (something like Rescue at B, Warp at A or S). The staves would be to limit how much staff utility you get out of mounted classes like Griffin Knight and Royal Knight and encourage you to use more dedicated staff class. Also very curious what staff rank emblem Micaiah gives.

Edited by FashionEmblem

44 minutes ago, kienquocsi said:

39 minutes ago, Azz said:

Yeah, I'm hoping with fixed ranks and unbreakable weapons, we can actually get use out of S ranks rather than what normally happens where they are only used in the last chapter or like you mentioned in Fates, have such bad cons that outweigh to pros, using forged iron weapons is better

I'm srsly hoping that whatever weapons the storyline hypes up are actually worth using. Because that's what annoys me about 3 Houses; for all the hype the storyline showers them with, a good chunk of the relic weapons are straight up trash (looking at you, Crusher!). As an aside, I hope that if there is an S rank staff, it's actually useful. 

Edited by Shadow Mir

Looks like a journalist decided to showcase all the personal skills up on Reddit

Fire Emblem Engage: Personal Skills (up to chapter 8) - Imgur

Notable Thoughts:
Seems like the retainers' skills follow each other theme-wise, Louis and Chloe, Lapis and Citrinne, Rosado and Goldmarie, Kagetsu and Zelkov all have similar mechanics
Already expecting the Louis x Chloe support to be warring over if yuri or straight romances are superior...
diamant why are you giving the enemy +15 HIT what are you doing
Zelkov is going to be very good on enemy-phase, dude gonna be unhittable with Marth's Perceptive skill.
Aptitude was renamed to Expertise. Not a fan.
Trained to Kill ISN'T the replacement for Lethality. Looks like we are still on the lookout for that, especially with no Assassin (probably a Bond Ring skill?).
Maddening Mode makes sure you can't cheese bosses with Breaking very early on. Interesting.
Maddening Mode also gives you 10 Rewind charges. Don't know how well that will go down with the community...

Edited by KoriCongo

47 minutes ago, KoriCongo said:

Maddening Mode also gives you 10 Rewind charges. Don't know how well that will go down with the community...

Do you get 10 rewinds right away and have them throughout the whole game like in Cindered Shadows (which had a fixed number of 5 DIvine Pulse uses)? Also, do we know how many rewinds we get in Normal? Thank you for this! According to that album you also get 10 uses in Hard mode as well.

Uh. Thought Lapis' would be the counterpart to Merrin (which SEEMS to be +10 Hit and Avo to females within three spaces) considering the visual similarity.

Lots of gimmicky ones, as usual I guess.

1 hour ago, KoriCongo said:

Zelkov is going to be very good on enemy-phase, dude gonna be unhittable with Marth's Perceptive skill.

Wasn't Perceptive player phase only?

11 minutes ago, DefyingFates said:

Also, do we know how many rewinds we get in Normal?

Infinite uses on Normal.

Edited by Cysx

8 hours ago, KoriCongo said:

Looks like a journalist decided to showcase all the personal skills up on Reddit

Notable Thoughts:
Seems like the retainers' skills follow each other theme-wise, Louis and Chloe, Lapis and Citrinne, Rosado and Goldmarie, Kagetsu and Zelkov all have similar mechanics
Already expecting the Louis x Chloe support to be warring over if yuri or straight romances are superior...
diamant why are you giving the enemy +15 HIT what are you doing
Aptitude was renamed to Expertise. Not a fan.
Trained to Kill ISN'T the replacement for Lethality. Looks like we are still on the lookout for that, especially with no Assassin (probably a Bond Ring skill?).
Maddening Mode makes sure you can't cheese bosses with Breaking very early on. Interesting.

Further to this, all Bond 1~10 for Marth / Celica / Sigurd / Micaiah / Roy in this album. (Same source.)

Daggers being renamed to Knives is hmm.

~~~

Also just asked the reviewer about Type Bonuses on Engage skills / attacks. Any types not listed get no bonuses:

Spoiler

Divine Speed
Dragon: Unit recovers HP equal to damage dealt by extra attack.
Covert: If extra attack hits, poisons foe.

Lodestar Rush
Dragon: +2 attacks.
Mystical: Damage based on Mag.
Backup: +1 attack.

===

Echo
Dragon: Range +1
Mystical: +10 damage

Warp Ragnarok
Dragon: Attack range +1
Cavalry: Warp distance +2
Mystical: +20% damage
Flying: Warp distance +5

===

Gallop
Dragon: Grants another Mov+1
Cavalry: Grants another Mov+2
Covert: Unit does not pay extra movement cost on any terrain.

Override
Dragon: +20% damage.
Armored: 10% chance of breaking target.
Mystical: Deals extra damage = 25% of Mag
Qi Adept: 20% chance of breaking target.

===

Augment
Dragon: Additional staff range +1
Qi Adept: +20% to HP healed by staves.

Great Sacrifice
Dragon: Units HP = 30% current [reviewer's note: this is phrased strangely but I believe it means it reduces to 30% of current HP instead of 1HP]
Armored: Grants Def+1 to all healed during their next combat.
Qi Adept: Also cures status.

===

Rise Above and Blazing Lion didn't have any bonuses with Backup (the Ring is locked to Diamant on Ch.8 and that's the limit of previews).

Edited by tipperthescales

3 minutes ago, tipperthescales said:

Further to this, all Bond 1~10 for Marth / Celica / Sigurd / Micaiah / Roy in this album. (Same source.)

Daggers being renamed to Knives is hmm.

~~~

Also just asked the reviewer about Type Bonuses on Engage skills / attacks. Any types not listed get no bonuses:

Ah, shoot. I don't know if I want to know all that.

Ah well...

... holy cow Favorite food is insane...

Edited by Cysx

5 minutes ago, tipperthescales said:

Oops, I might just put that in spoilers instead of a quote then... (and done)

Oh, no, don't worry about it. That's not what I meant.

Also Roy's second skill is pretty good. That's nice.

Edited by Cysx

So, minimum bond level for skill inheritance to become an option. Bond levels for weapon proficiencies vary since emblems give varying number of proficiencies but happen later on. How can you tell which skills can be inherited? All of them? I'm now imaging an entire army inheriting canter and gallop from Sigurd ...

Edited by FashionEmblem

5 minutes ago, FashionEmblem said:

So, minimum bond level for skill inheritance to become an option. Bond levels for weapon proficiencies vary since emblems give varying number of proficiencies but happen later on. How can you tell which skills can be inherited? All of them? I'm now imaging an entire army inheriting canter and gallop from Sigurd ...

So far we've seen all skills other than those from Engaging inheritable when it comes to Marth / Sigurd / Celica, plus the SI skills as well that don't normally show up on the HUD.

4 minutes ago, tipperthescales said:

So far we've seen all skills other than those from Engaging inheritable when it comes to Marth / Sigurd / Celica, plus the SI skills as well that don't normally show up on the HUD.

So, if I'm interpreting this UI correctly, Anna is getting +1 to Mov, not the +5 from gallop so that's engage-exclusive (the icon for gallop is also greyed out). Canter, however, is active outside of engage and inheritable. Still, with the fairly low movement stats in this game it's not as strong an ability, so I'll dial my excitement back.

Screen Shot 2023-01-07 at 7.21.25 PM.png

2 hours ago, FashionEmblem said:

So, if I'm interpreting this UI correctly, Anna is getting +1 to Mov, not the +5 from gallop so that's engage-exclusive (the icon for gallop is also greyed out). Canter, however, is active outside of engage and inheritable. Still, with the fairly low movement stats in this game it's not as strong an ability, so I'll dial my excitement back.

Screen Shot 2023-01-07 at 7.21.25 PM.png

+1 Mov is from equipping Sigurd's Ring. Canter is 2mov after taking an action.

ORKZjGF.png

Correct re Gallop and Override being inactive and uninheritable (at least so far, considering Bond 10 max from footage we've seen).

Edited by tipperthescales

24 minutes ago, FashionEmblem said:

But I believe that's 2 move of what's remaining after your move? So, a 5 move infantry can move 3 spaces, attack, then move 2 spaces but if they had moved 4/5 spaces they get less/no move afterwards.

Nope, it adds 2 move. So in ways it's better.

... in most it's not, though.

Edited by Cysx

3 hours ago, tipperthescales said:

Some Sync skills are not inheritable, for example Micaiah's Cleric (the skill that grant Staff usage)

image.png

Anyways, does anyone know what the skill "Stalwart" does? I've seen it a lot on bosses. At first I thought it negates Break, but there's another Unbreakable skill already

4 hours ago, tipperthescales said:

Well that's a lot of Sword... As expected, I guess

5 hours ago, KoriCongo said:

A little disappointed that Master Lance is not localized as Meisterlanze to go with Meisterbogen

I also realized it's interesting that Hortensia gets huge stat bonuses with Lucina, while Ivy only gets like Bond 1 level of bonus with Leif

And Flying apparently gets type bonus for Adaptable. I wonder what it will be. Also looks like Ivy doesn't have Leif's Engage Attack, what's up with that?

Edited by kienquocsi

5 hours ago, KoriCongo said:

I was looking at the stats and is it just me or do Alear and Alfred's stats look kinda... low for their level? At first I thought stats in general were low but I looked at the other characters and their stats seem much higher. Granted there is a difference in level between Alear and Alfred compared to everyone but only around 3 levels difference.

Edit: I did notice that their speed is being debuffed but I don't know by how much. Either Alear has terrible speed or the debuffs from heavier weapons are really big

Edited by EarthboundAddict

12 minutes ago, kienquocsi said:

Anyways, does anyone know what the skill "Stalwart" does? I've seen it a lot on bosses. At first I thought it negates Break, but there's another Unbreakable skill already

Was talking to the source of the other info, and apparently:

Spoiler

Stalwart: Reduces damage from effectiveness.

A few others that I asked for info on:

Arms Shield+: When unit has weapon advantage, unit takes 5 less damage. (Normal Arms Shield appeared to reduce incoming damage by 3 in Leif's intro video.)
Vantage+: If unit's HP is 50% or less and foe initiates combat, unit can counter before foe's first attack. (Presumably <=25% HP then for vanilla Vantage?)
Adaptable has a [Flying] type bonus of Res+5 during combat.

Additionally, they advised of in combat stats for Ivy with Leif's Killer Axe and Master Lance (referencing this image for base stats):

Killer Axe
Ph Atk: 23
Hit: 93
Crit: 36
Spd: 9
Avo: 20
Ddg: 4
Rng: 1

This seems to give me raw weapon stats of: Mt 11, Wt >9 (10 in Thracia), Hit 65 (75 in Thracia), Crt +30

Master Lance
Ph Atk: 19
Hit: 83
Crit: 6
Spd: 4
Avo: 10
Ddg: 4
Rng: 1-2
Consecutive attacks when initiating

This seems to give me raw weapon stats of: Mt 7 (14 in Thracia), Wt 5 greater than the Killer axes, so >14 (16 in Thracia), Hit 55, Avo -10 (?!)

Glad Cleric isn't inheritable, that'd be a bit ridiculous casually giving everyone bonus C staves.

5 hours ago, tipperthescales said:

I'm looking through all the emblem skills and it looks like some weapons are missing? I'm pretty sure I've seen Thani from Micaiah and Tyrfing from Sigurd which are not in these lists. Notably missing as well are Falchion for Marth and Binding Blade for Roy.

Edit: Found the pictures. Seems like the emblems each give three weapons, but only two made it on this list.

Spoiler

Celica only has two weapons listed in the pictures since her Recover staff seemingly can't be augmented.

https://serenesforest.net/wp-content/uploads/2023/01/engage-n1up-020f.jpg

https://serenesforest.net/wp-content/uploads/2023/01/engage-n1up-020c.jpg

https://serenesforest.net/wp-content/uploads/2023/01/engage-n1up-020a.jpg

https://serenesforest.net/wp-content/uploads/2023/01/engage-n1up-020b.jpg

Edited by FashionEmblem
Add image

25 minutes ago, FashionEmblem said:

I'm looking through all the emblem skills and it looks like some weapons are missing? I'm pretty sure I've seen Thani from Micaiah and Tyrfing from Sigurd which are not in these lists. Notably missing as well are Falchion for Marth and Binding Blade for Roy.

Edit: Found the pictures. Seems like the emblems each give three weapons, but only two made it on this list.

Reveal hidden contents

Celica only has two weapons listed in the pictures since her Recover staff seemingly can't be augmented.

https://serenesforest.net/wp-content/uploads/2023/01/engage-n1up-020f.jpg

https://serenesforest.net/wp-content/uploads/2023/01/engage-n1up-020c.jpg

https://serenesforest.net/wp-content/uploads/2023/01/engage-n1up-020a.jpg

https://serenesforest.net/wp-content/uploads/2023/01/engage-n1up-020b.jpg

Final Engage weapons are somewhere between Bond 11 to 16, probably at 15. Engaging with Emblems has Lyn!Merrin have Mulagir at Bond 16 as the reference point.

2 hours ago, kienquocsi said:

I also realized it's interesting that Hortensia gets huge stat bonuses with Lucina, while Ivy only gets like Bond 1 level of bonus with Leif

And Flying apparently gets type bonus for Adaptable. I wonder what it will be. Also looks like Ivy doesn't have Leif's Engage Attack, what's up with that?

I'm theorizing that Ivy stole Leif's ring from Brodia so she doesn't have a strong enough Bond with it