So how's everone's gameplay experience for Scarlet/Violet?

henrymidfields

I've heard there's been some significant performance problems with SV. For those who played did it detract from your experience?

Just for the record, I haven't bought SV yet, as I'm still in the middle of Legends Arceus.

Edited by henrymidfields

Pokemon Violet has broken several first-times for me.  I managed to pinpoint my motion sickness issues (well, most of them), which is how I managed to finish the main story.  But perhaps the most startling "first" of them all was that the credits made me motion sick.  For reasons I don't understand, the absolute worst frame rate issues cropped up there.  Other than several other things that felt like "this game is too much for the Switch to process", nothing horribly game-breaking.  I loved being able to wander around almost anywhere while avoiding most wild Pokemon.

Quite a few hit & misses.

On the + side I like how we could roam around, talk to trainers to start a battle,  plenty of loot to pick up to sell, have a somewhat meaningful story (a portion of it), the whole auto battle thing is a cool feature I hope sticks around, and a bunch of other little things that made me realize pokemon could still make quality improvements. I also love something that happened in post game that reminded me of D/P that I won't mention for spoiler reasons.

Not to beat a dead horse and bag on the performance since everyone does that already but some of the things I didn't like that I hope they take out in future sequels:

No more being surrounded for an ambush (I'm talking about how you could be in a battle with a trainer or wild mon, and then a bunch of wild mons that want to challenge just camp out and wait to tag you after you're done), no more trainers with just 1 mon (cause come on seriously, GameFreak already experimented with a new feature with us needing to talk to them but to stop my abundance of wild mon battles for a trainer one with only one mon and cheap pay out was immersion breaking), and why in holy crap did they take away the option to toggle off battle animations. 

If someone were to ask me if they should buy it or not, I'd tell them put it at the bottom of the wish list since it was fun, but I know many other games that are going to be more fun so buy those first. It is a shame Nintendo rarely if ever let's their main IPs go on sale. Cause honestly I don't think I should have forked over $60 for that and considering they may later try to grab more cash by releasing dlc makes me feel a little bitter/frustrated with the definitive path GF and by extension Nintendo are now taking. Releasing bugged incomplete games. It is a real shame. 

Pokemon Scarlet reminded me a great deal of the late 2000s where I and friends tried to emulate N64/PS1 games but they ran in slow motion with a ton of visual and audio errors. Comparing that against then-current consoles and their official emulation, it was clear that we "got what we paid for" which was absolutely zero. And back then if you dropped sixty dollars on some shady virtual video game experience advertised at the bottom of a webpage, we all knew that was a scam. Gaming has certainly changed in these respects. 

12 hours ago, Tediz64 said:

No more being surrounded for an ambush (I'm talking about how you could be in a battle with a trainer or wild mon, and then a bunch of wild mons that want to challenge just camp out and wait to tag you after you're done), 

I was legit stuck for over a minute when this pack of Tauros wouldn't leave me alone. But Draw Distance was the biggest issue. Once you're speeding around the overworld, pokemon are spawning directly on your path with no chance to react. To say that "Pokemon Scarlet has no random battles" is a statement that is technically correct and also patently false in practice. 

• 3 weeks later...

So far, the game hasn't been too buggy for my bro, aside from this one time early on when he clipped through the ground and fell into the water.

UPDATE: My bro caught a shiny Hoppip! Ironically, he found it while hunting for a shiny Azurill during an Azurill outbreak.

Edited by Lord_Brand