Fighter Idea: Bass

Lord_Brand

Mega Man's rival, a robot created by Dr. Wily originally with the purpose of infiltrating Light Labs, stealing the plans to Light's Super Adapter, and destroying Mega Man. His defeat at Mega Man's hands left him with a grudge and an obsession with proving himself the world's strongest robot. However, Bass doesn't take kindly to Wily using other robots in his plans, and regularly opposes his own creator in order to prove he is the greatest of Wily's creations (until 21XX, anyway...). Bass' one friend is his lupine companion Treble, who has many of the same abilities as Rush, including the ability to merge with Bass to transform him into Super Bass.

Bass' unique fighter ability is his Evil Energy meter, which fills as he fights. When the meter fills, Bass can call upon Treble to merge with him, transforming him into Super Bass for a short time. As Super Bass, Bass hovers above the ground rather than walking or running, his movement speed, weight, and jump height increase, his attacks become faster and stronger, he becomes more resilient to damage, flinching, and knockback, he gains two additional midair jumps, and his specials change. Once the meter empties, Bass reverts to normal.

Moveset (WIP)

Spoiler

Ground

• N: Bass Buster - Bass rapid-fires shots from his buster, a nod to his primary attack in Mega Man & Bass and Mega Man 10. Like in those games, the trajectory of his shots can be angled diagonally or straight upward. As Super Bass, he'll fire three shots at once in a spread.
  • S tilt: 
  • U tilt: Magic Card - Bass shoots a couple of cards straight up, after which they return to him.
  • D tilt: Chill Spike - Bass shoots freezing gel that forms spikes on the ground.
  • S smash: Charge Shot - Bass charges up and fires a more powerful shot. As Super Bass, this attack fires two consecutive shots.
  • U smash: Crescent Kick - Bass performs a somersault kick. This is his special attack from Mega Man 2: The Power Fighters.
  • D smash: Scorch Wheel - Bass conjures four fireballs that spin forward. This is Turbo Man's special weapon in Mega Man 7.
  • Dash: Tengu Blade - Bass slashes with the Tengu Blade while dashing. This is Tengu Man's special weapon in Mega Man & Bass.

Air

• N: Bass Buster
  • F: 
  • B: 
  • U: 
  • D: Thunder Bolt - Bass fires an electric projectile downward.

Grabs & Throws

• F: 
  • B: 
  • U: Danger Wrap - Bass traps the opponent in a bubble with a bomb and sends them upward before the bomb explodes. This is Burst Man's special weapon in Mega Man 7.
  • D: 

Special

• N: Triple Blade/Rocket Buster - Bass shoots out a trio of blades, one forward, the other two at different diagonal angles. On the ground, the diagonal blades shoot upward, while in the air, the diagonal blades shoot downward. As Super Bass, this attack becomes the Rocket Buster from Mega Man 7, which both Super Bass and Super Mega Man were able to use. Super Bass launches his fist, which homes in on the nearest opponent or flies straight forward.
  • S: Remote Mine/Sweeping Laser - Bass fires a mine that can be directed upward and downward. When it makes contact with a target or surface, it sticks, then explodes. As Super Bass, this attack becomes Sweeping Laser, which has Bass dash forward in the air while emitting a beam from his buster below him.
  • U: Treble Boost - As Super Bass, this move becomes Treble Boost, which has Bass fly upward or in the direction of your choosing.
  • D: Junk Shield/Dark Aura - Bass conjures three large clusters of scrap that orbit him. These scraps hit multiple times and can absorb multiple shots. This is Junk Man's special weapon in Mega Man 7. As Super Bass, this attack becomes Dark Aura, which briefly envelops Bass in a sphere of dark energy.
  • Shield: If Bass' Evil Energy meter is full, he'll summon Treble and transform into Super Bass.

Final Smash: Super Bass - Bass transforms into Super Bass and attacks with a series of purple energy shots fired upward that land on the ground, followed by a sweeping laser. These attacks are direct references to his boss fight in Mega Man 8.

Taunts

• U: Bass levitates and glows with green energy.
  • S: Treble warps down next to Bass and growls while Bass points forward.
  • D: 

Victory

• Theme: Theme of Bass
  • L: 
  • U: 
  • R: 

Costumes

• P1: Yellow - Bass' default color.
  • P2: Purple - Bass color scheme when using Lightning Bolt, as well as his P2 color in the hidden versus mode of Mega Man 7.
  • P3: Cyan - Bass' color scheme when using Ice Wall.
  • P4: Green - Bass' color scheme when using Wave Burner.
  • P5: Blue - Bass' color scheme when using Remote Mine.
  • P6: Red - Bass' color scheme when using Spread Drill.
  • P7: Gray - Bass' color scheme when using Tengu Blade.
  • P8: Brown - Bass' color scheme when using Magic Card.

Opening Stage

Spoiler

This stage is set in the city from the opening stage of Mega Man 7, during which Wily escaped from prison with help from his robots, and Mega Man and Bass had their first meeting and battle.

• Intro Stage (Mega Man 7 - Remix)
  • Theme of Bass (Remix)
  • Freeze Man Stage
  • Junk Man Stage
  • Burst Man Stage
  • Cloud Man Stage
  • Robot Museum
  • Spring Man Stage
  • Slash Man Stage
  • Shade Man Stage
  • Turbo Man Stage
  • Boss Battle (Mega Man 7)
  • Wily Stage 1 (Entrance)
  • Wily Machine No. 7
  • Wily Capsule
  • Bass Battle
  • Go For It! ~Theme of BASS~
  • Intro Stage (Mega Man & Bass - Remix)
  • Dynamo Man Stage
  • Cold Man Stage
  • Ground Man Stage
  • Pirate Man Stage
  • Boss Battle (Mega Man & Bass - Remix)
  • King Tower Stages (Remix)
  • Blade Man Stage
  • Solar Man Stage
  • Boss (Mega Man 10)
  • Abandoned Memory

Classic Mode: Showdown of Destiny! (WIP)

Spoiler

The name of the route references Mega Man 7's Japanese subtitle.

• Vs. Ridley on Dracula's Castle (Shade Man Stage) - Represents Shade Man
  • Vs. Roy Koopa in Figure-8 Circuit (Turbo Man Stage) - Represents Turbo Man
  • Vs. 
  • Vs. Link, Young Link, Marth, Roy, Meta Knight, Ike, Toon Link, Lucina, Robin, Shulk, Cloud, and Chrom on Castle Siege (Blade Man Stage) - Represents Blade Man and references the "too many swordfighters in Smash" meme
  • Vs. Pikachu, Donkey Kong, R.O.B., ???, Snake, ???, ???, and ??? at Wily Castle (Abandoned Memory) - This battle references the Weapons Archive of Mega Man 10
  • Vs. Mega Man (Theme of Bass) - References Mega Man and Bass' rivalry
  • BOSS: Wily Machine

Spirit Board (WIP)

Spoiler

Burst Man

Cloud Man

Junk Man

Freeze Man

Slash Man

Spring Man

Shade Man

Turbo Man

Super Bass

Edited by Lord_Brand

Aw yeah, it's Bass. The boy so based he decided to be the best character in Mega Man twice. Once in classic and once in Battle Network for first and second place overall. What a lad.

For the work-in-progress moveset, I noticed that the moves are generally from Mega Man 7 or games where he's actually fully playable. I don't know if you'd rather lean into the latter flavor or weapons from any game where he's featured (such as Mega Man 8 and uh...just that one) would also be on the table.

Furthermore, if you have a way to type "8" followed by ")" without it becoming 😎 I'd appreciate it.

Edited by AnonymousSpeed

How's this? 8-)

Yeah, I pulled mainly from games where Bass was actually playable, as with Proto Man. Granted, Power Battle and Fighters are in that category as well, so some of the older Robot Master weapons should also be available, but if I ever decide to make a Duo moveset, it'd be nice to have as much material left over as possible (hence my avoidance of MM8 weapons specifically), thus the emphasis on 7, Bass, and 10. The Super Bass mechanic and associated specials pull mainly from 8, for what that's worth.

Since the current Final Smash is mostly using moves already available via Super Bass specials, I'm thinking of mirroring Mega Man Legends with "Rival Legends", depicting Bass, Treble, Vile, Dynamo, Bass.EXE, Craft, Pandora, Prometheus, Rogue, and Jack Corvus teaming up with Bass to attack.

On 1/4/2023 at 11:17 PM, Lord_Brand said:

How's this? 8-)

How dare you.

On 1/4/2023 at 11:17 PM, Lord_Brand said:

I'm thinking of mirroring Mega Man Legends with "Rival Legends", depicting Bass, Treble, Vile, Dynamo, Bass.EXE, Craft, Pandora, Prometheus, Rogue, and Jack Corvus teaming up with Bass to attack.

Eh, I don't know. I think that isn't a super great final smash anyway, and it at least has the idea that all those characters are called "Mega Man" and seem to share some sort of legacy even in-universe. These are all pretty disjointed characters who don't neatly fit the same role or line up nearly as well, and in many cases really step on each other's toes. I like a lot of those characters, but I'd rather see Bass use something else.

Furthermore, I demand to see his moveset adjusted to incorporate weapons from Rockman & Forte: Mirai Kara no Chosensha for Bandai WonderSwan.

His Final Smash could just be Super Bass, and the Evil Energy gimmick could be removed since it's not really an existing mechanic in the games anyway (though it almost was in Mega Man 10, but there it was going to serve as a double-edged sword).

Edited by Lord_Brand

On 1/4/2023 at 10:00 PM, AnonymousSpeed said:

Aw yeah, it's Bass. The boy so based he decided to be the best character in Mega Man twice. Once in classic and once in Battle Network for first and second place overall. What a lad.

I have to tell you I agree with this, he's a nice concept in 7 that they did some decent job with and in Rockman & Forte he was also a bit interesting. It's unfortunate Megaman 8 didn't add onto what 7 added, only did the same of building everything from the ground up and Bass was set to not do anything else.

At least hearing he's good in MMBN gives me confidence for when I play the next MMBN games.

I like the idea of Bass as a fighter. I had a moveset idea for Bass, but it was completely reliant on his abilities in Mega Man & Bass, so I definitely like this one better.

18 hours ago, Lord_Brand said:

His Final Smash could just be Super Bass, and the Evil Energy gimmick could be removed since it's not really an existing mechanic in the games anyway (though it almost was in Mega Man 10, but there it served as a double-edged sword).

I'm not sure about that; Super Bass is a transformation, and Ultimate got rid of transformation final smashes in order to make the final smashes faster-paced. I don't even think it can work as him unleashing a powerful attack as Super Bass, as Super Bass doesn't have a powerful attack (at least he doesn't in Mega Man & Bass).

20 hours ago, Lord_Brand said:

His Final Smash could just be Super Bass, and the Evil Energy gimmick could be removed since it's not really an existing mechanic in the games anyway (though it almost was in Mega Man 10, but there it served as a double-edged sword).

I'm afraid I don't follow. I don't remember evil energy being a thing in Mega Man 10.

3 hours ago, This boi uses Nino said:

I have to tell you I agree with this, he's a nice concept in 7 that they did some decent job with and in Rockman & Forte he was also a bit interesting. It's unfortunate Megaman 8 didn't add onto what 7 added, only did the same of building everything from the ground up and Bass was set to not do anything else.

At least hearing he's good in MMBN gives me confidence for when I play the next MMBN games.

Yeah, the weird thing about Bass is that he starts off really strong and then gradually experiences character degradation as he becomes less cunning and more brutish over time. Still the coolest of the "main" Mega Man classic dudes.

Play them. They're good. Bass actually goes the same arc as in Classic but it actually works.

23 minutes ago, AnonymousSpeed said:

Yeah, the weird thing about Bass is that he starts off really strong and then gradually experiences character degradation as he becomes less cunning and more brutish over time. Still the coolest of the "main" Mega Man classic dudes.

Play them. They're good. Bass actually goes the same arc as in Classic but it actually works.

Oh I do want to play them, there's the collection coming up but I might emulate some of the games sooner, I did the same with some of the X games.

I do also see that MMBN1 tried more with its plot than MMC ever did, although it wasn't groundbreaking, or even particularly good, it had twists, it had characters, and it had motivated antagonists... about what's necessary I'd say.

23 hours ago, vanguard333 said:

I'm not sure about that; Super Bass is a transformation, and Ultimate got rid of transformation final smashes in order to make the final smashes faster-paced. I don't even think it can work as him unleashing a powerful attack as Super Bass, as Super Bass doesn't have a powerful attack (at least he doesn't in Mega Man & Bass).

Not entirely. Bowser, Mewtwo, Ganondorf, Wario, and Lucario all have transformations that they use during their Final Smashes, they just no longer are controllable during those transformations. That's the same idea I'd be applying to Super Bass as a Final Smash, though my preferred gimmick for him would allow him to transform into Super Bass midbattle similar to how Joker activates his Stand Persona, Arsene.

Since Smash is willing to mix in original content (see: Mario Finale or for that matter Mega Man Legends with the multiple charged buster beams), I could see Bass simply getting a supercharged buster beam attack using his laser in MM8 as a base. But that feels so lazy.

21 hours ago, AnonymousSpeed said:

I'm afraid I don't follow. I don't remember evil energy being a thing in Mega Man 10.

It was an unused idea. Bass would be able to tap into the Evil Energy he received in Mega Man 8 to power himself up until he cleared the stage or got a game over at the cost of reducing his life once the effect wore off. That's what inspired my idea for Bass using Evil Energy in Smash, incidentally.

21 hours ago, AnonymousSpeed said:

They shoehorn him into being the rival that wants to beat the hero at the cost of any greater characterization, barring Mega Man & Bass where he displays respect for humanity and even displays a bit of concern for King when the latter's fortress is exploding.

Bass' arc works for the first three games. Then they decide to reset him for the latter three and his character never really goes anywhere, not even in the final game of the series.

Spoiler

Also for some reason Cossak is his creator and not Wily, which feels dumb to me.

But then, Battle Network is 50% interesting ideas and 50% wasted opportunities.

59 minutes ago, Lord_Brand said:

Not entirely. Bowser, Mewtwo, Ganondorf, Wario, and Lucario all have transformations that they use during their Final Smashes, they just no longer are controllable during those transformations. That's the same idea I'd be applying to Super Bass as a Final Smash, though my preferred gimmick for him would allow him to transform into Super Bass midbattle similar to how Joker activates his Stand Persona, Arsene.

That's what I was referring to; by "transformation final smash", I was specifically referring to "character transforms and player controls the transformed version of the character" final smashes; they were all reworked into the character unleashing a powerful attack like the other final smashes. Bass doesn't have a powerful attack to go along with the Super Bass form as far as I know (he certainly didn't have one in Mega Man and Bass), so Super Bass wouldn't really work as a final smash. I like the idea of it being a temporary transformation instead.

Well I was considering it being a sequence of his attacks from MM8, finishing with the sweeping laser, but if he already has access to those as regular specials via transformation, it will undercut the grandeur of the Final Smash itself. Hence my suggestion of "Rival Legends", something that can match Mega Man Legends in terms of sheer awesomeness. However, Speed has a point that Bass doesn't really have a legacy to the same extent Mega Man does, so the concept doesn't work quite as well here. At best, he could team up with his NetNavi counterpart and maybe Zero (who is a fellow creation of Wily's and thus does have connection to Bass at least).

They could try something novel like paying homage to Bass GS in MMBN by having Super Bass morph his buster into Treble's head and using that to fire a more powerful beam.

Edited by Lord_Brand