A FE1 Randomizer

Polinym

Hello there!

FE1 Randomizer? Yes, this exists now. The "Basilisk Jr." FE1 randomizer is capable of randomizing all player units, enemy units, reinforcements, village recruits, and shops in the game, which should provide some exciting new ways to play the game. Also, the randomizer is compatible with a version of FE1 that includes many new features, such as:

• Anyone can access the convoy at anytime, and using it is free.
  • Mages use their Magic (Strength) stat when attacking
  • More items (Steel Lance, Silver Axe, Killer Bow…) Not all of these have been fully tested.
  • Can deploy less than the maximum number of deployable units.
  • Hunters and Armor Knights promote to Horsemen and and Generals respectively
  • Generals can weild lances and bows.
  • All classes use Master Proofs to promote.
  • Weapon Triangle, Genealogy-style.

The program works where you specify the base rom (FE1 Japanese + the "War of Darkness" improvement patch included with this) and a project directory, then decompile the unit data to that directory. Then, every time you press "Compile", it'll generate a new randomized ROM in the "Random" folder of the directory. Also included with the directory is the "options.txt" file you can use to change your randomization settings (mostly to enable/disable some balancing tweaks). 0 is off, 1 is on. The options are:

Seed: The seed to use for randomization. Set to ? for a random seed.
Yune Mode: When on, the randomizer will not attempt to balance the game in any way, meaning unit stats will be completely random.
Buff Archers: When on, increases the base Strength of Archers.
Only good classes for Mars: When on, Mars won't become any dumb classes like Pirate or Ballista.
Mars Recruits All: When on, Mars is the unit who can recruit all recruitable enemy units. Recruiting enemy units is NOT advised at this time, as it could result in having two units with the same name, which the game struggles with.
Remove Intro: Removes the intro cutscene from the first chapter, so you can quickly see what units you start with.

Snack-1.png.a29df1604dfe77e8c2272e8cf7098bf8.pngSnack-0.png.693b278669477fab2481919d16436051.png

Snack-3.png.ef5b77730b55a1b404aceca8f415ce6b.pngSnack-2.png.21614b851b5ccab0b1b6636f5bbd1e5d.png

In the future, I may add the ability to have randomized starting locations for players, enemies, randomized chests, and completely randomized maps (mix of vanilla and custom). Suggestions for improving the balancing or randomization are welcome. 🙂

Get Basilisk Jr.:  https://drive.google.com/file/d/10SpNqpjxO00_CgWBRMvopATRFGeUCz4K/view?usp=share_link 1

Enjoy! :D

Hey there! 

Sometime last week I found myself obsessed with the idea of a FE1 Randomizer and was baffled by one not yet existing -- I love the aesthetic of this game and making it infinitely repayable is of course awesome. I've been playing a seed for a little while now, currently at chapter 9 with a lovely General Marth and two more Generals to back him up. 

Anyway! I made this account specifically to thank you for the effort you've put into this software! If you're at all interested in continuing its development, I've found a few oddities and possible bugs you might be interested in knowing about, but nothing too gamebreaking.

• In chapter 7, the boss in the castle spawned as a Bishop class with a heal staff. I was caught (somewhat annoyingly) by surprise losing one of my pegasus knights by finding out that after the boss had a short dialogue cut in, they attacked! Suddenly the battle screen pulled up with incredibly corrupted visuals and the Bishop transformed into a Pegasus Knight themselves, attacking and killing my unit. Unfortunately I do not have a screenshot of this event as I was so dumbfounded.
  • On that note, this may simply be something of a mechanic that I don't recall from this game, but when attacking bishop type units that have no means of fighting back (healing/utility staves) after the fight is over, my units will have lost health regardless. Is this normal gameplay mechanics I simply don't remember? It's strange attacking a Bishop and suddenly dying after the fight lol.
  • Lastly on chapter 8, the item shops there were glitched when leaving, spitting out an infinite loop of text, screenshot attached below.

Once again, thank you so much for creating this! I'll cherish it whether there's bugs or not. Haha.

Item Shop Bug.png

Item Shop Bug2.png

I'm so glad you like it! 🙂

Looks like the "staves are weapons" glitch has snuck up on me again... ...still not sure which one of my mods causes that.
Not super sure what's going on with the item shops. Maybe the compiler's writing data where it shouldn't. I'd say just ignore them when you see them.

Normally, I'd jump right on fixing these issues, but as luck what have it, inspiration for a FE1 hack has suddenly struck and I'm about to dive deep into it, so I'm also not sure if I'll get around to fixing them for the software right away. Thanks for letting me know anyway! 🙂

Oh no rush at all of course!

My only conjecture being a complete laymen with how the backend works is that the staff damage could possibly relate mages scaling damage with strength? It does generally appear to deal something to the effect of 1+strength damage - resistance to the attacking unit, but I can't say that I'm 100% of that as I haven't paid complete attention.

Unfortunately the Item Shops are unusable as is, when you leave, the corrupted text will infinitely scroll, thus locking the game. 

Despite this, it's VERY playable, and still very fun. Definitely gonna check out your other hack too! Thanks.

Found the issues, turns out they werent' too difficult to solve after all.
In the interest of time and moving forward with my next hack, I just fixed the compiler and updated the patch to reflect the latest changes I've made. This means there's a few gameplay tweaks (stat-caps raised to 99, stat-boosting item nerfs) and a number of graphical improvements as well.

1686668383_FE1ArbellaStuart-0.png.c5434b00f6fa6b08fcc7181fb921825e.png
The link in the first post should still work. Let me know if it doesn't. 🙂