Thought of the day : Just why is Louis so tough!

renegadeandy

Hi all. I would like to understand the mechanics behind Louis. He appears to be super duper tanky and I would like to understand what contributes to this level of Beefiness.

I know he is weak to Magic - so I have been buffing his Res as much as I can.

So far I have found for my Louis. Green seems good - red seems bad.

---------------

Class: Armoured - Don't know the specific effect of this?

Avo - 6 -  Louis will take a hit most of the times he is attacked

Dog - 4 - Louis will have a low chance of avoiding a critical hit.

Spd - 2 - Louis is slow, rarely strikes twice and contributes poorly to Avo.

Def - 20 - Louis has a high defence, reducing damage from physical attack. Does this mean if an enemy has a Ph Atk of 25 - then Louis takes 5 damage?

Res - 4 - Louis is vulnerable to magic attacks, I pair him up with Pure water to help this.

Admiration - If two female allies are adjacent within 2 spaces, this unit takes 2 less damage during combat

-----------------

I feel given what I see, the only really good attribute here is Def of 20, and that doesn't necessarily seem to warrant the tank he appears to be. Is there something about the 'Armoured' class I don't know? Where in game can I find information on the classes themselves? I often see an enemy attacking Louis and it says "No damage" - which must play into this?

Thank you for your thoughts.

11 minutes ago, renegadeandy said:

Def - 20 - Louis has a high defence, reducing damage from physical attack. Does this mean if an enemy has a Ph Atk of 25 - then Louis takes 5 damage?

Yes, this is correct! The only exception would be if they have an anti-Armor weapon, like a Hammer. In that case, they will deal far more damage.

12 minutes ago, renegadeandy said:

Class: Armoured - Don't know the specific effect of this?

He can't be "broken" when under attack by an enemy. So he can still counter-attack against someone who uses Axes.

12 minutes ago, renegadeandy said:

Spd - 2 - Louis is slow, rarely strikes twice and contributes poorly to Avo.

His Speed can also be affected by which weapon he uses - a heavier weapon, like a Steel Lance, tends to lower a unit's Speed (versus, say, an Iron Lance). In Louis' case, it's not a huge deal, except to avoid getting doubled by Mages, or foes with anti-Armor weaponry.

One more good trait you missed: his physical attack. He's basically the hardest-hitting unit in the game when he shows up. So he can secure one-shots that none of your other units can deliver.

11 minutes ago, Armchair General said:

He's an armor knight, it kind of comes with the territory. And the fact that nearly everyone starts off with 4 movement also means that his (lack of) mobility is something that you don't need to plan for

Or, you can give him Sigurd to have a 9 MOV tank 😄