How do I Build Supports on Weaker Characters?

Recently I have been looking to start a playthrough of Awakening, but I'm afraid I'll run into the same problem as last time. When I last played, I had massive issues building supports with my weaker units. Units that I often didn't use that much but still wanted to use as a father (such as Ricken, Virion, Maribelle, etc.) were too under leveled to build up supports through combat. The only way I could even slightly improve my units was through overworld skirmishes that either will cost me dearly in Reeking Boxes or by waiting for random events to give me spawns.

This has been my main obstacle from enjoying this game. It expects you to build up supports with all the characters while also expecting you to bench them. Am I missing something? Any tips and tricks would be greatly appreciated. (Also, just for clarity I'll be playing on Hard Mode. I can figure out Lunatic Mode later lol)

7 hours ago, Armchair General said:

I'd say start forging stuff, but then I remembered how Awakening worked. But reclassing one of them into an mage and just let nature run it's course with the ranged attacks should work, for an while

Thanks. I never really utilized forging or reclassing all that much when I last tried to play it, so that might be a good solution. Is there any maps in particular that would be good for skirmishes?

30 minutes ago, ForsetiMaster2006 said:

Thanks. I never really utilized forging or reclassing all that much when I last tried to play it, so that might be a good solution. Is there any maps in particular that would be good for skirmishes?

Fort Steiger. You start in the perfect position to let everything come to you. Just be careful of ranged units.

Edited by Shadow Mir