Is it actually worth it to invest in the heavier weapons?

So,right now I have an Iron Blade, the Greataxe that came with an free chef attached to it, plus whatever else that I looted and out of all of them the only one that I like is the Hurricane Axe and watching people die to it on their own turn, especially the fliers. They really love dying to that thing for some reason.

Now the (minor) problem is that it's fucking heavy and I really haven't gotten around to pairing it with Leif to see if it saves someone from being doubled (but let's face it, it'll probably won't). But I'm kind of fine with it  because, hey, shit happens.

At any rate, I'm kind of debating on whether or not it's actually worth it dumping an lot of cash on something that semi-reliably kills people or just try to get forge some more decent weapons or something. But in an way, most of them are just there to look imposing. In fact, I really don't remember the opposition actually carrying these weapons

The enemies on maddening will carry them sometimes, and can pack a punch, specially in some paralogues and mid game chapters. In general, if I use them, I give them to a unit that won't be doubling during enemy phase. During player phase they have a very specific use, but its not really worth. Although i have heard they are great as engage weapons (I haven't had the need to try that though).

If you are going to get rid of them, throw them down the well. The well is great and hungry

The smash weapons aren't actually as heavy as you think.  They're consistently 2 weight higher than the equivalent "standard" weapon - which is not THAT bad.  Of course, they can't double no matter what, but if you just want to deliver a OHKO and can't double yourself, they're not bad.  They have some occasional use with Emblem super-attacks too that aren't locked to an Emblem weapon where you just want to amp up your might as much as possible.

I wouldn't say to dump a ton of money into them, no.  If you're trying to use Greatlances / Greataxes, the accuracy can be kinda sus, so it may be worth at least getting to +2 so that you get +5 Hit, but it's still a fairly minor detail.

They are very good for the big engage attacks, like override, lodestar rush, etc, since they have higher power with all of the drawbacks made irrelevant.

They are good on slow units like Louis.

Sometimes, if your unit can handle the weight they are good on enemy phase.

Sometimes, but infrequently, you want a smash attack because of the push as well.

I like to give the Erika engraving to something like a Silver Greataxe since it’s accuracy on its own is quite shaky. The added crit chance is also appreciated too.

Gave it to Jade when I made her an Axe General and she was vital in helping me beat chapter 21 on hard mode.

Smash weapons are worth investing on for a few reasons:

Engage attacks. Most notably, Lodestar Rush with a Steel Blade ~Roy engraving early game can OHKO any boss before ch10. In the midgame, a Great Aether coming from Silver Greataxe ~Ike engraving can damage a large amount of enemies, certainly OHKOing any frail enemies in range or any chipped enemies for that matter.

Enemy phasing; in particular if you have Vantage equipped. If Vantage is active, then you will hit first with your Smash weapon on Enemy Phase (only on enemy phase). Also a very good way to score OHKOs if the Smash Weapon is refined and engraved to do so. Same idea as crit stacking with a Killer weapon basically, but instead focusing more on raw Might than Crit.