What Do You Think Disney Should Focus On?

Randoman

So with there being a lot of complaints about modern Disney, the abundance of live action remakes, and such, I was wanting to hear from you guys as to what you think Disney should focus on, in regards to the type of movies and TV series they should be making.

The main thing I can think of is Disney focusing on fairy tales they haven't made into movies yet, and taking fairy tales from foreign countries and putting their own spin/twist on them. I mean, I really like what they did with The Princess and The Frog and Rapunzel, and I feel like they could give a fresh twist to other fairy tales. One idea I had was them making a Rumpelstiltskin movie, but instead of ending with Rumpelstiltskin's name being guessed and him disappearing/dying, his name still gets guessed but the queen tries to befriend him and reform him and teach him to help others without expecting anything in return (of course with chaos, misadventures, and hilarity ensuing before Rumpelstiltskin eventually learns to be selfless).

Also, if they absolutely have to do at least one more live action remake, can it at least be Bambi? I've been anticipating a live action Bambi remake ever since I first saw the trailer for it.

Building up original IPs so they can bolster Marvel and Star Wars IPs when they're in a slump (like now) as well as promote them during the downtime between Disney Princess movies. And more original cartoons please. Disney is too big to NOT know there's an audience for it (see Gravity Falls and Steven Universe). To not cater to that audience feels like a missed opportunity, especially since HBO now won't. 

Gaming. For such a titanic company Disney's footprint in gaming is actually rather small.

Their big assets these past few decades were Star Wars and Marvel but in the gaming space all they really wanted to do with those were some rushed out shooters(and one good game) by EA of all companies, and a mediocre Avengers life service steeped into outdated and discredited design philosophies. Marvel was about the biggest media thing on the planet but you'd not know it if video games was your primary source of media, and that's really weird. All sorts of games with all sorts of mechenics are possible with the MCU but Disney just didn't want any of it. Same with Star Wars. Ever genre from action adventure, to shooters to even RTS and strategy can be done with Star Wars but Disney and EA just didn't want any of it. 

There's Kingdom Hearts of course but I'm convince that it only exist because someone at Squire Enix has some serious blackmail material on Disney that forces the Mouse to accept all the Kingdom Heart weirdness.

If anything, they should rely less on pre-existing IP’s, especially live-action remakes thereof. It seems, ironically, their remakes are contributing to the negative opinions on animation as a medium.

• 2 weeks later...
On 4/3/2023 at 3:40 PM, Use the Falchion said:

Disney is too big to NOT know there's an audience for it (see Gravity Falls and Steven Universe).

Steven Universe is Cartoon Network.

That said, the likes of The Owl HouseAmphibia, or Star Vs. The Forces of Evil. Or, if you want their biggest commercial success of the last decade, Phineas & Ferb.

On 4/4/2023 at 8:31 PM, Perkilator said:

If anything, they should rely less on pre-existing IP’s, especially live-action remakes thereof. It seems, ironically, their remakes are contributing to the negative opinions on animation as a medium.

Maybe the long-con is "make shitty live-action remakes, so people come to appreciate the animated originals more in comparison"?

Anyway, the crazy inversion would be animated (2D, if I dare to dream) remakes of their live-action films. Could be a way to breathe new life into narratives collecting dust deep, deep in the Disney Vault.

On 4/14/2023 at 8:40 PM, Shanty Pete's 1st Mate said:

Steven Universe is Cartoon Network.

That said, the likes of The Owl HouseAmphibia, or Star Vs. The Forces of Evil. Or, if you want their biggest commercial success of the last decade, Phineas & Ferb.

'm aware. The point is more that there's an audience for those types of shows.