With the success of the Mario movie, what other projects do you think are likely/would you like to see?

Perkilator

The Mario movie is currently on track to potentially make $1 billion before it even sees its Japanese release, so future Nintendo movies seem pretty much inevitable with that much success. So, I wanted to ask you guys: what other Nintendo movie projects do you think are likely or would like to see? For me:

• Likely: A Zelda movie, since it's Nintendo's other big cash cow.
  • Would like: A Kirby movie loosely based on Kirby's Adventure.

Assuming the Illumination stuff continues, I'd love to see a Donkey Kong Country adaptation. The Kongs were seriously fun, and also:

I want to hear some orchestral DKC tunes. This one was annoyingly replaced in favor of Take On Me - what kind of idiot...?

Also, once again throwing this out into the void, Star Fox produced by Jim Henson company. Or revive that claymation Netflix thing, I'd watch that. Beyond that I'm not particularly jazzed at the prospect of more Nintendo IPs getting this sort of treatment. If the Super Mario Bros movie is the standard for quality, then I do not trust them with Kirby. Plus the film reaction bros taking shots at our games is not going to be fun. If youtube dweebs think the Mario movie is too woke, then they could not handle a Zelda or Metroid project.

What I Would Like to See:

1. A Zelda anime. Not a movie; an anime. The format of Zelda stories means that Zelda would be far more suited to an animated series than a movie, and 2D anime would be the best form of animation for a Zelda animated series.

2. A Fire Emblem: Path of Radiance anime. Out of all the Fire Emblem games, Path of Radiance has both the best story and the story that would be most easily adapted to an anime format, and it's my favourite video game.

3. A Metroid movie or show. I would be fine with either option. A CG-animated movie or show about Samus investigating a planet could be really cool. If the planet contains Chozo Ruins, then they could also explore Samus' past among the Chozo via flashbacks.

What Would Be Likely:

1. Smash Bros. Admittedly, the cinematic universe trend has thankfully already left, with the MCU and Disney Star Wars being the only two remaining examples. But, after the success of the Mario movie and Detective Pikachu, I could see Nintendo seriously consider trying it.

Edited by vanguard333

Expect: Zelda, Kirby, Donkey Kong in that order. 

Wild-cards: Metroid and Smash Bros

Want: Fire Emblem (either Three Houses* or something completely original) 

*It has a massive audience and appeal already, it can get the whole "high school anime" fans and the "war story anime" fans in one swoop, and between DLC and Three Hopes, you've got some nice material to make side-movies out of. 

Here's what I think of what Illumination might do for future Nintendo Animated Adaptation Movies:

• Expect: Some Mario Sub Series Spin-off Animated Movies, Zelda Animated Movies, Metroid Animated Movies, etc.
  • What I wanted to see what Illumination would do: Fire Emblem Animated Movies and EarthBound Animated Movies
  • I don't think they might touch on it: Pokémon since the Pokémon Company letting Anime Studios continue making anime content. I do think Illumination are going to make movies based on other Nintendo games instead.

I think that was my wishful thinking of Animated Movies that I could see Nintendo let Illumination to do.

Edited by King Marth 64

A Fire Emblem movie that adapts either the Shadow Dragon or Three Houses story, I think if the movie is handled with as much care as the Mario movie, it'd be really good. Maybe not SMB Movie levels of successful, but good nonetheless. An animated series would also suffice.

• 2 weeks later...
On 4/17/2023 at 6:06 PM, Florete said:

What I think we'll see (and wouldn't mind seeing myself): More Mario, Donkey Kong, maybe Zelda.

What I want: Metroid.

Zelda I think would work horrible for a movie release. Not only are you going to have to deal with Link's vocal ability or lack thereof (a doomed of you do doomed if you don't situation), the structure and tone of Zelda games just doesn't lend itself to a movie. Because in Zelda there's just so much to do that.... narratively doesn't matter. Link has to collect three spiritual stones because the game wants three unique dungeons in three unique areas. But if we're focusing solely on plot, which a movie kind of has to do, then that's basically filler. Zelda stories are also...not so much serious in tone, but not exactly light hearted. They're in a pretty comfortable balance of just, idk, straightforward. You couldn't really do the sort of things they've done with the Mario and Zelda movies and them work, but you also couldn't make it a deep introvertive piece either. Mario can easily hop from set piece to set piece, but for Link traversing the world and interacting with the people in it is going to feel short changed if skipped over, but also tedious if actually given due attention.

Now Metroid, that I think of all Nintendo's ips is uniquely suited to a movie adaptation. Mainly because Metroid games don't really have a story (yeah even Fusion). It's all atmosphere. So you have a lot more freedom in what you can do with the character<s>s<\s>. The Metroid Manga is a pretty perfect example of this and something I would not be upset at all if it got a straight movie adaptation. But... unfortunately the one time Metroid did try to actually have a story everyone but me despised it, so I don't see them trying it again in a hurry.

What I'm more excited about than any other potential ip is actually a Mario Bros sequel. With the exception of only token Yoshi appearances they've kind of front loaded the fan service making this one movie great, where are they going to go from here? It'll have to be something more focused to stay interesting. Are we going to see Wart? Rosalina? The Paper Mario Plot? Idk but I'll probably love the fuck out of it.

On 4/18/2023 at 9:50 PM, 𝙇𝙤𝙠𝙞 said:

A Fire Emblem movie that adapts either the Shadow Dragon or Three Houses story, I think if the movie is handled with as much care as the Mario movie, it'd be really good. Maybe not SMB Movie levels of successful, but good nonetheless. An animated series would also suffice.

They tried that. It was extremely mediocre and also probably the best way the story could conceivably be adapted (and I mean that with a tonne of love despite how it sounds).

I agree that if any Fire Emblem sorry we're to be adapted to the big screen than Path of Radiance would be the best based on how it's narrative plays out. But... I'm really never going to go see a video game movie expecting it to be high art. I'm going to be looking for high octane fan service. Therefore the best Fire Emblem continuity to adapt would be Heroes.

Edited by Jotari

Not so much of a Zelda movie, but I'll rather see a Zelda tv series. Expand the current canon we have and add extra plot points to tie in the stories of the game better. Particularly the ones outside the relatively plot/backstory-heavy 3D games.