Engage's dlc could have been so much cooler

would love engage so much more if the dlc was handled better.  My mind is just rushing with so many ideas yet what they went with is so unsatisfying.

Instead of an alt version of elyos, the fell xenologue took place in the past, using completely set characters, focusing on Nel, rafal, and past Alear, that plays out like canon except nel and rafal get to survive.    And upon completing it, you unlock an entire alternate route, a conquest to main game engage's birthright if you will.   Where you start on the side of elusia and sombron, playing as either nel or rafal as your lord, veyle at the start, and eventually along the way the hounds and the fell dragons rebel against sombron which they already did in the main game by the end anyway so the ending can be nearly the same, saving time on resources to better spend on the new stuff.     

We get playable hounds this way, without having to settle for completely different characters wearing their skin.  I seriously don't know what was asking for griss and marni but only if both are stripped of what makes them unique. 

Instead of wasting resources making new dlc emblems we could have had all the dark emblems on this route, with unique skills to set them apart from the main game's,  saving more time and resources that could be better spent fleshing the route to feel as complete as at least crimson flower.     

For thirty dollars we should expect at least half of what fates gave us for only twenty. 

That'd be lame and make zero sense. Especially to shoehorn an awful "alternate route" that'd be at odds for everything Engage did. It's completely unnecessary. Also, I and many others love Gregory and Madeline. They're an interesting and fun mirror without undermining how the Hounds worked. The Winds better sold me on the family idea than the Hounds ever could.

Edited by Seazas

5 hours ago, Seazas said:

Especially to shoehorn an awful "alternate route" that'd be at odds for everything Engage did.

Isn't that what the Fell Xenologue already did?

---

Can't comment about the alternate route, but the bits about the trip to the past sound fascinating. Would've been a better option than "bleak and edgy" Elyos.

Edited by Acacia Sgt

Yeah covering the past conflict would have been the obvious route to take. And it actually could have followed almost the same story as what we got.

As far as the hounds go, I do like the four winds, but they aren't the hounds so they do kind of fail at the intent of making the hounds playable...but that didn't really ever have to be a mission goal, and honestly if it were absolutely necessary, they could have just been added non cannonly like the old Trial Maps and Creature Campaign units. For supports just let them support with each other, Mauvier and Evil Veyle depicting scenarios that could have happened when they were working for Elyusia. Or go the heroes route and just call them Einherjar who are forced to serve. Then you can have their unaltered personalities rubbing up against the regular cast.

On 5/13/2023 at 8:00 AM, Acacia Sgt said:

Isn't that what the Fell Xenologue already did?

---

Can't comment about the alternate route, but the bits about the trip to the past sound fascinating. Would've been a better option than "bleak and edgy" Elyos.

No since it's not a route nor is it trying to be a main part of Engage's story like this alt route would be. It's more or less a sidequest than some bullshit about causing a time paradox and forcing in two characters that are dead while simultaneously undermining the point of the Hounds.

16 minutes ago, Seazas said:

No since it's not a route nor is it trying to be a main part of Engage's story like this alt route would be. It's more or less a sidequest than some bullshit about causing a time paradox and forcing in two characters that are dead while simultaneously undermining the point of the Hounds.

It doesn't have to be. Not any more than Age of Calamity is to the original Breath of the Wild, since the latter isn't invalidated by the former. This too can just be a sidequest.

Or to use FE's own examples. Not unlike Future Past is to Awakening.

Edited by Acacia Sgt

On 5/16/2023 at 7:48 AM, Acacia Sgt said:

It doesn't have to be. Not any more than Age of Calamity is to the original Breath of the Wild, since the latter isn't invalidated by the former. This too can just be a sidequest.

Or to use FE's own examples. Not unlike Future Past is to Awakening.

Future Past isn't an alternate route, it's quite literally comparable to what we have now than this terrible idea of an alternate route that's made as a sudden main part of the main game. No, it quite literally can't be a "sidequest" because the original proposition was to force a brand new route in the story that you can choose over Alear and their journey, it's not a sidequest. Age of Calamity is a spinoff and a whole new timeline unrelated to BOTW's main campaign. It's a dishonest comparison.

Edited by Seazas

5 minutes ago, Seazas said:

Future Past isn't an alternate route, it's quite literally comparable to what we have now than this terrible idea of an alternate route that's made as a sudden main part of the main game. No, it quite literally can't be a "sidequest" because the original proposition was to force a brand new route in the story that you can choose over Alear and their journey, it's not a sidequest. Age of Calamity is a spinoff and a whole new timeline unrelated to BOTW's main campaign. It's a dishonest comparison.

I never talked about the alternate route angle. As per my post:

On 5/13/2023 at 8:00 AM, Acacia Sgt said:

Hence the comparison to Future Past. Since I was only focusing on that.

It could've been a way to make the "Prologue" segment actually have relevancy, since it barely does in the main game itself.

Edited by Acacia Sgt

On 5/17/2023 at 7:13 PM, Acacia Sgt said:

I never talked about the alternate route angle. As per my post:

Hence the comparison to Future Past. Since I was only focusing on that.

It could've been a way to make the "Prologue" segment actually have relevancy, since it barely does in the main game itself.

The prologue segment is to just introduce you to the game and is nothing more than an un-explainable weird dream. Don't overthink it. Still, the Hounds and their defeat are the main plot point and you create a time paradox by recruiting them while undermining their entire tragedy. The Winds are better and put an interesting spin on the Hounds.

15 minutes ago, Seazas said:

The prologue segment is to just introduce you to the game and is nothing more than an un-explainable weird dream. Don't overthink it. Still, the Hounds and their defeat are the main plot point and you create a time paradox by recruiting them while undermining their entire tragedy. The Winds are better and put an interesting spin on the Hounds.

Yeah, I think we're talking about two different things here.

If you don't want to talk about alternate ways the DLC could've been, that's fine. But don't start shooting down any discussion about it by bringing up irrelevant stuff. Don't bring up the original scenario proposed if it's no longer being talked about. Unless you do want people to continue talking about it.

I, at least, wanted to talk about something (if only partly) different, but if you're not going to, then let's just drop it, then.

Edited by Acacia Sgt