Ranking each game by how good the Javelin is

The Javelin has had perfect attendance in every fire emblem game, and what an adventure it has been. Sailing over the heads of our enemies and into our hearts. And so I thought we could have a discussion on the best and worst performances of this iconic weapon. How would the game be impacted if Javelins were not usable by the player? Or any other basis for critique. 

For my ranking, I'll be looking at games I played in the last six years

1. FE9: All the same points as in FE7/FE8, but with some new bonuses. Strength now mitigates its weight completely and you can forge it to stay within ORKO range.
  2. FE7&FE8: The Whole Package. The javelin really defines the meta here mostly due to the large quantity yet low strength of enemies. Even without low manning, javelins can very realistically reach ORKO thresholds as the game goes on. The only knock against them is their Weight. Our early game peg needs 11 more speed to double with a javelin.
  3. FE11: Oh my christ. Javelins have 30 uses, are stronger than an iron lance, and their weight is a non issue for everyone not named Ceada (but then she promotes baby). Your very first move of FE11 is getting Marth to collect his Hero Tax. Your second move is sending someone to buy Javelins. Accuracy isn't as much a concern as in previous versions of this game because FE11 introduces so much padding to your accuracy between 2RN, weapon rank bonuses, weapon triangle bonuses, support bonuses, and nerfing terrain bonuses. You could even forge it to be more accurate. FE11 Bosses are highly susceptible to boss abuse due to lack of 1-2 range weaponry - something that higher difficulties do not address. So money spent on Javelins can turn into a few extra level ups if you have 15 minutes to burn. This may very well be the #1 spot if we're looking at H5 specifically, because denying the enemy's capacity to hit you is so key to survival.
  4. FE6: Much stink is made about the javelin's 55 base hit, but 2RN and maybe some support bonuses keep it at least as accurate as Javelins of christmas past. In this game where 1 out of 3 enemies is packing a 1-2 range weapon, you need them more than they need you. Javs are easy on the wallet, and the high health values on enemies create an ever-present need for chip damage. They can also help chipping away at a boss that doesn't have their own 1-2 range option currently equipped - just Rescue drop the attacker. Buuut that low accuracy is unlikely to reach somebody sitting on a throne, so Fire magic really outperforms the javelin in that context.
  5. FE1: The Freshman performance is honestly a strong opening statement for the Javelin. In a game with no repositionals, dancer, or Rescue staff (or GBA Rescue), 2 range weaponry can sometimes be your only shot at squeezing in another kill on player phase. A Javelin can really wreak some havoc in the late game. It stands out from magic spells by virtue of scaling off the units stats like any regular weapon. Just got to remember to stock up while you can, they stop getting sold in shops past chapter 9. Really the only knock against it is the accuracy. 70 base hit may not sound too bad, but the maximum hit only goes up to 90 (well, really 85 since the generic grass terrain bonus is 5 avoid). 
  6. Echoes: In a game where you can only take one weapon at a time, choosing the javelin comes with greater costs than usual. Especially when you've got archers pelting from even more spaces away, a 2 range poke is seldom vital. I generally only give my fliers the javelin, since their low bulk makes me fear counterattacks.
  7. FE4. The Javelin's weight is 18, and can push your AS into the negative. Thank god most of the enemies lack pursuit to take advantage of that. In general FE4's ecosystem covers for a lot of the Javelin's obvious weaknesses. Only two potential javelin users (promoted Arden, and that gen 2 general I don't know the name of) do not have canto, so you can lob it and then equip a better weapon before ending your turn. It's also helping out for boss killing. A castle boss can only be engaged at melee range at just one spot, but javelin users can surround the target and then canto to safety if they suffered a hit. It's too bad that bosses cheat by equipping whichever weapon lets them counterattack better, but never a deal breaker. Beyond seizing castles, an average FE4 playthrough would not change much if you could not acquire Javelins to use.
  8. Three Houses: A Javelin on enemy phase is no help for the common archer who will attack you at 3 range. And the Boss' Counterattack skill can ruin any prospect of safe chipping. Against regular enemies, If I want to deal damage without retaliation, a Gambit can do that and more. Simply having a 1-2 range weapon in your inventory can prove lucrative for the occasional Linked Attack/Gambit boost, but remember that every class can potentially bring along a Bow for that purpose as well as curved shot for more range. Not a terrible weapon in a vacuum, but definitely begging for a niche.
  9. FE3: Wooooow this is the point of the Javelin's career where he went through the first divorce isn't it? Going from 6 weight to 20 weight. You can't have negative AS in FE3, but since the speed cap is 20, it ensures the weapon can never double and you will get doubled if your opponent has at least 3AS. That's the same nerf that manaketes got. But oh yeah dragons are now competing in the 1-2 range space and mages have a magic stat growth so they're better too. Be very wary of leaving units with the javelin equipped. FE3 allows for Trade swapping their equipped weapon and it can save their life. Add to that the game's forced dismounting on indoors maps and the javelin doesn't see very much action in FE3.

Largely agree with the list, though I'll talk about different games since I remember different ones in general.

One of the best weapons in the game

1. Path of Radiance - yeah I can agree with forging and "effectively no weight" elevating it slightly above the other top-tier showings. Main knock is eventually most of its users get Hand Axes which are even better, but Marcia/Tanith/unpromoted Oscar all make incredible use of this.
  2. Sacred Stones - Compared to Blazing, your lance-users generally hit better AS with the javelin; in particular Wyvern Knights take only a small penalty from it, unlike Falcon Knights. Seth and your fliers can't use Hand Axes, so this stands alone at the top for many of your best units.
  3. Blazing Blade - A little worse than the above two (paladins can use hand axes, fliers eat a stiffer weight penalty) but still excellent.
  4. Radiant Dawn - Might be underrating it slightly? RD enemy stats are buffer than the above three games though, so there are fewer things javelins will kill. Still obviously great, and the lack of forge limits mean that at its most dominant it is crazy good in principle, though in practice I use Hand Axes a lot more.

Very good

• 5. Engage - I don't really feel like it dominates the way it does in the above games, just because the game is more player-phase focused, but otherwise it still has the "no real flaws, extends your range and that's awesome" feel. Not much to say really.
  • 6.. Awakening - When I first saw the javelin's stats in this game I was ready to talk about how nerfed it had been... but it honestly still ends up very useful because you can use it to activate support attacks.
  • 7. Genealogy - That weight penalty hurts, making it hard to double with (though not impossible). Of course, some units (like Quan) aren't doubling anyway, so this weapon just rules in their hands. Still, the free weapon switch elevates this weapon a fair deal - both switching away from it (so you can double on enemy phase and/or not be doubled, I suppose) and switching to it (to counter archers/mages).
  • 8. Fates - Intsys figured they hadn't nerfed it hard enough in Awakening and doubled down, giving it a -5 AS penalty and a "can't double" tag, so it's even worse than FE4 as far as effective weight goes. That said... still useful for the way it activates attack stance.
  • 9. Binding Blade - The low hit is a bummer, but sometimes unreliable chip or counter damage is better than none at all, and that's what this weapon still allows. It's weak in the earlygame but scales well as the game goes on, especially if you go to Sacae where a Wyvern Lord with the Delphi Shield can abuse the AI of the nomads and one-round them with this.

Actually mediocre

10. Three Houses - Bows are cheaper, more accurate, and provide the same range, as well as more damage unless you have Lancefaire. Javelins can counter at 1 range, of course, so if you want to counter enemies with 1-2 (actually not that common since archers no longer qualify, mostly just some mages), it's still your best bet... until Close Counter and later, Retribution Basically the niche of this weapon is largely crowded out, though not entirely; I would not call this a bad weapon and I still often use either it or the Hand Axe on my units who I decide to not invest in bow rank at all. But easily the weapon's worst showing out of games I feel qualified to comment on.

Perfect attendance! I think not, it didn't appear in the most important Fire Emblem game of them all! Super Smash Bros. Melee!

Actually it's pretty weird the Javelin hasn't appeared in Heroes yet. I've been saying for years that it should have been generic distant counter inheritance (along with Hand Axe and Wind Edge), but now that would be a pretty underwhelming weapon.

Bad:

Binding Blade - On paper, the 1-2 range is a boon. In practice, however.... It's too inaccurate, and the lack of accuracy combined with the fact that enemies actually have stats makes me actively wonder what the point of using them is when any archers or mages that it allowed me to counter are probably going to need to be killed on player phase anyway.

Three Houses - Possibly the worst game for javelins. They're stuck with a really poor weight/might ratio, and archers have extended range, meaning they are useless against them. Even mages aren't that afraid of them. Long story short, just use a bow instead. It's stronger, and has effective damage on fliers. The lack of power means it's probably better to use something stronger and/or lighter for enemy phase.

EDIT: Crud. Jumped the gun. I'll have to edit in my thoughts on other games later.

Edited by Shadow Mir

Sure, why not.

1. Sacred Stones. 1-2-range is huge in this EP-oriented game, and this time, Paladins don't have access to Hand Axes. Not really counting the Short Spear against it, since I consider it (alongside the Spear) to be part of the Javelin "family".

2. FE7. Essentially the same as its successor, except that Paladins get Hand Axes as an option too.

3. Shadow Dragon. Javelins have 30 uses, and as Axes are rare beyond the earlygame, they almost never face WTD. Also, you can forge 'em if you want.

4. Path of Radiance. Another game where 1-2-range is a big deal, as well as the one that introduced forging. They're great, but they take a hit for being broadly worse than the Hand Axe.

5. Awakening. EP-oriented game again, along with the ability to forge, albeit slightly adjusted. Low base Might, though...

6. Radiant Dawn. Pretty similar to their prior incarnation. Coins can improve the forges in unpredictable ways, but again, Hand Axes have an edge over them.

7. FE6. These things took twenty years to get worse, and 1-2-range isn't the biggest deal. But there are still a lot of great Lance users who want a ranged option.

8. Genealogy. Their high weight is a hindrance, while their WTD against Axes is unfortunate for the first couple chapters. Still, it's a ranged option for most of your cavalry units - and your fliers, when they show up. Just don't accidentally bring it into the Arena with you.

9. Echoes. Giving your Cavalry, Armors, and Fliers a ranged option is pretty cool. But, as their only available weapon, to the prohibition of Shields or Rings as well? I'm not sure it's up to the opportunity cost, especially when it has no combat arts to its name. Oh, and don't make the mistake of updating to Saunion, unless you're ready to not counter melee foes.

10. Fates. Traditional 1-2-range weapons took a steep penalty in this title, losing the ability to crit or double. This leaves the Javelin far inferior to Shurikens (which occupy the same spot on the weapon triangle). Still, the mere option to attack from range is still a strong one, especially if you're trying to get skill support or an Attack Stance from allies. Worth bringing, maybe.

11. Three Houses. Just bring an Iron Bow instead.

On 6/18/2023 at 4:46 AM, Shanty Pete's 1st Mate said:

These things took twenty years to get worse

Glances at FE3's 20 weight.
Also fun fact, its might was nerfed starting from New Mystery, not Awakening. I can see why people thing it's Awakening that nerfed it.

3 hours ago, Kruggov said:

Glances at FE3's 20 weight.
Also fun fact, its might was nerfed starting from New Mystery, not Awakening. I can see why people thing it's Awakening that nerfed it.

The joke was, twenty years pass between FE7 and FE6. In that span of time, the Javelins become... quite a bit worse. Likewise with the Rapier, and most Axes.

Also, I didn't mean to imply that Awakening was the first "modern" game to nerf the Javelin. Merely that it was a game where the Javelin had low Might.