Predictions for tomorrow's Nintendo Direct?

JoeShmoe102

Hey folks, I know we just got a new FE game a couple months ago, but what are you all expecting from tomorrow's Direct? Should we expect more FE news, or do you all think that will be at a later date? Any non-FE news you're expecting too?

Edit: my hope is either an FE4 remake or Tellius HD re-releases, but I doubt there will be anything FE-related.

Edited by JoeShmoe102

I was expecting an FE4 remake reveal sometime this year anyway, but then this leaker said we'd get a SNES remake in the Direct which makes me think now is the time.

Who were the assumed developers for it by the way, Koei Tecmo or Nintendo themselves? If the former I hope they don't let Engage's mixed reception put them off of using its engine. They can make stuff look gritty with it, surely.

My take is that after the success of the SMB movie it will be a very Mario focused direct. New 2D Mario, Mario & Rabbits DLC gameplay, new Mario Kart 8 courses, Mario & Sonic before the Olympics, new Mario Party (which in the WiiU/3DS days was basically an annual franchise) and Mario RPG remake to end the Direct. They can show a lot of Mario and honestly this is more filler than killer, which would make sense if Nintendo is gearing up for new hardware in 2024. 

I don't expect any Metroid related news as it is too early for a Super Metroid remake by Mercury Steam after Dread, Prime: Echoes seems also too soon and Prime 4 is not coming out before 2024. 

As for a Fire Emblem remake, idk. We are getting FE GBA for Nintendo Switch Online in a couple of days, so it might be good timing but depending on when the remake is scheduled to release Nintendo might hold off the announcement until later this year. But maybe they just want to pump it out to fill a gap since Engage underperformed instead of sitting on it. 

Apart from the obvious Pikmin 4 news, we'll get some DLCs (Pikmin season-pass while we're at it, Splatoon 3, the mentioned Mario & Rabbits, Mario Kart), a few 3rd party games like Persona 5 Tactica mentioned in a highlight reel and maybe some news or an exclusive demo of Dragon Quest 3 HD-2D, since I think Square will have some kind of presence. 

If we are really entering the last few months of the Switch lifecycle I keep my expectations low, since Nintendo hasn't been good in supporting a system they are going to drop soon.

Edited by know_naim
typos

7 hours ago, DefyingFates said:

I was expecting an FE4 remake reveal sometime this year anyway, but then this leaker said we'd get a SNES remake in the Direct which makes me think now is the time.

"Remake of an SNES Classic" could be almost anything, though: Super Metroid, Star Fox, Super Mario RPG, Yoshi's Island, A Link to the Past, Donkey Kong Country, Earthbound, and F-Zero all come to mind. In fact, I'd argue that Genealogy doesn't count - it released for the Super Famicom, not the SNES. A technicality, sure - but to western audiences, it's no classic, but an obscure pick that never made it out of Japan.

That said, I'd happily eat Vika... er, crow... if I'm proven wrong. Getting a Genealogy remake would be huge, as it's one of my favorites in the series.

I`m not expecting anything, so that I can be pleasantly surprised if we do get something. And also because we got Engage a few months ago. I feel like "a remake of a SNES classic" is too broad to mean a Genealogy remake specifically.

• New Fire Emblem game announced! (for release in 2029)
  • New Fire Emblem remake! (It's Shadow Dragon. Again.)
  • Official translated versions of the first 6 Fire Emblem games! (translated into Chinese)
  • New FE Warriors with characters from across the series history! (Play as Peri, Oliver, Gilbert, Merlinus, Orson, Bunet, 9 different versions of Anna... and Marth.)
  • New Fire Emblem spinoff! (It's face petting scaled up into a full game)
  • Tokyo Mirage Sessions to get a sequel! (It's a sequel to Tokyo Mirage Sessions)

More seriously, I'm not expecting any Fire Emblem news. It's still too soon after Engage, especially since the direct's focus is on games coming out later this year. I'd love to be wrong, but I'm not hopeful.

3 hours ago, lenticular said:

Tokyo Mirage Sessions to get a sequel! (It's a sequel to Tokyo Mirage Sessions)

I'd actually like a crossover that's a more even mix of the two franchises, but that's what Persona 5 Tactica seems to be so I'm not as hopeful for such a thing from IS - though I would like to see them do it too.

3 hours ago, lenticular said:

More seriously, I'm not expecting any Fire Emblem news. It's still too soon after Engage, especially since the direct's focus is on games coming out later this year. I'd love to be wrong, but I'm not hopeful.

Engage has been finished for a long time (it got rated back in 2021 and Kagetsu and F!Alear's VAs say they got cast before they got their Genshin roles, which they've been in since its 2020 launch) and the game files call it Iron19 instead of the expected Iron18, so it's possible a game was in development at the same time as Engage and IS' scheduling got messed up by Covid.

There's also how quickly all the DLC got pushed out (using the same template as the 3DS games instead of 3H), which would make sense if IS wanted to announce a second FE game for the year and didn't want the news cycle to overlap with Engage's (i.e. its DLC trailers, previews and so on). And as a bonus, even before the Engage leak there was a rumor that IS was moving a remake they had planned for the 3DS to the Switch I just hope they left their SoV mentality of "recreate maps 1:1 got left behind with the old hardware.

Finally, the FE4 remake got leaked by the same person who leaked Engage. Of course none of this necessarily means we'll get a remake reveal in this Direct, but there does seem to be something coming in the relatively near future.

---

For non-FE related news, I'd like to see if Sega announces what's in the second wave of free Sonic Frontiers updates considering part of it is themed on the guy's birthday which is two days from now. Maybe some extra news on Superstars too? I'd love if Grezzo announced an original product as well. Ever Oasis was fun despite some odd decisions (possibly the 3DS' fault) but their only other works over the last decade or so has been handling Zelda remakes (and TriForce Heroes).

EDIT: Oh, and there are some rumors of Persona 3 Reload being on Switch. I don't care for the game myself, but this would be a good time to announce that if it's the case.

Edited by DefyingFates

18 hours ago, DefyingFates said:

Don't do that... don't give me hope

If an FE4 remake gets announced, I'll buy back the Switch Lite I sold to my friend last year when I went into a heavy declutter mode. Actually, it might've been earlier than that, Three Hopes wasn't announced yet, and I did regret selling it a bit as I love warriors games. In case of an FE4 remake I would also be able to play that too

No expectations tho, but I would love if there was a new FE Warriors game as well, either a GBA era one or an FE4/5 one.

Ooh right, some new info on the Rayman DLC for that Mario+Rabbids game would be awesome too! Or a whole new Rayman game, but that ain't gonna happen...

18 hours ago, Hrothgar777 said:

^Frick. This feels strangely prophetic. The "SNES Classic" could definitely be that one Mario RPG from the '90s.

You, uh, wouldn't have any advice when it comes to lottery numbers, would you?

2 hours ago, coldhand25 said:

Ooh right, some new info on the Rayman DLC for that Mario+Rabbids game would be awesome too! Or a whole new Rayman game, but that ain't gonna happen...

Was it everything you hoped for?

4 minutes ago, Shanty Pete's 1st Mate said:

Was it everything you hoped for?

Yah, kinda, haven't been up to date with Nintendo ever since I sold my Switch, I only really followed Fire Emblem

Now that you mention it, I'm curious what's up with the Metroid franchise, and I do look forward to otome game announcements, but I'm not sure if those are a thing on Nintendo Directs or not - I still wish most of the new ones weren't Switch exclusives...