Ideas for a positioning utility build

Barren

I’ve been thinking for a different maddening run I could make a couple of units that is dedicated to basically repositioning teammates around the map for safety purposes. Like having Swap and Reposition on the same set for example.

Like maybe Louis and Jade could fill those roles since they only need master seals to get to their general classes. They both would need to reach level 5 as a general to get Swap. And they both could get Reposition thanks to Emblem Ike. But one can have Draw Back thanks to Eliwood’s S rank ring and the other Shove with Mia’s S rank ring.

Not sure about other abilities to inherit. Maybe Canter or Defense + x. With DLC I could always get them Speed/Res + x from Camilla.

Does it sound like a cool idea to try out or are there other ideas for units that anyone can think of whose role wouldn’t be dedicated to combat?

11 hours ago, Barren said:

Does it sound like a cool idea to try out or are there other ideas for units that anyone can think of whose role wouldn’t be dedicated to combat?

If I'm being honest this doesn't sound terribly effective. The repositioning skills are great for LTC purposes, but I don't find them to be of much use in casual play. A staff user can do just about everything a repositioning General can without the movement limitation, and they're also more flexible. If you're looking for a pure utility unit I'd suggest Lucina with a Qi Adept for access to the best Bonded Shield and either staves or Enchanter buffs. Corrin and Micaiah are also primarily emblems that provide defensive utility, but I'm sure you've seen their standard builds elsewhere.

12 hours ago, Barren said:

Like maybe Louis and Jade could fill those roles since they only need master seals to get to their general classes.

I wouldn't be too worried about the gold cost if you get a better unit with the reclass. If you're absolutely committed to this idea Panette would probably be the first unit that comes to mind because she can deal meaningful damage even if she's not necessarily the bulkiest unit available. A unit with good resistance and passable defense would also be something to look for because the strategy is even more limited if you can't also protect your other units from mages.

35 minutes ago, samthedigital said:

If I'm being honest this doesn't sound terribly effective. The repositioning skills are great for LTC purposes, but I don't find them to be of much use in casual play. A staff user can do just about everything a repositioning General can without the movement limitation, and they're also more flexible. If you're looking for a pure utility unit I'd suggest Lucina with a Qi Adept for access to the best Bonded Shield and either staves or Enchanter buffs. Corrin and Micaiah are also primarily emblems that provide defensive utility, but I'm sure you've seen their standard builds elsewhere.

I wouldn't be too worried about the gold cost if you get a better unit with the reclass. If you're absolutely committed to this idea Panette would probably be the first unit that comes to mind because she can deal meaningful damage even if she's not necessarily the bulkiest unit available. A unit with good resistance and passable defense would also be something to look for because the strategy is even more limited if you can't also protect your other units from mages.

I can see why you would say that. Staves are very good in Engage and Hortensia’s World Tree ability supports this trend.

LTC strategies was one of the reasons why I thought of this idea as you mentioned. So if I were to try it out I would have to perfect this move for move which would take time.

The Qi Adept bonded shield build I’m actually trying out with Framme very soon. I know that Alear does it better thanks to Divinely Inspiring but Frame does share supports with a good portion of the cast and Dual Support + can also increase their avoid while she is chain guarding/bonded shielding allies. She can do it as a Martial Master or Enchanter (assuming DLC).

As a side note: I did use Framme as an Enchanter and the fact that you use a vulnerary to heal multiple allies within range is way more useful and cost effective than I would’ve ever have guessed. Plus Dagger utility is also nice to have too.

Honestly, the idea sounds cool, but I feel like you'd be better of just making your dedicated support units Griffon Knights or Royal knights instead. You don't get swap, but you can still give them reposition and another movement skill from a bond ring, and the added movement and staff utility is likely to be much more valuable than having a third movement based skill (which arguably the worst of the bunch anyway).

I'm a big fan of Reposition in this game (and every other one it appears in) but you don't need to dedicate a build to it, just slap it on various units. It's probably most valuable on units who are more durable (since one use is to pull someone two squares back out of trouble, potentially exposing the repositioner instead) and more mobile (especially fliers who can stand on top of difficult or inaccessable terrain). Unlike in 3H you can't canter after using it, which is probably a good chance for balance reasons but does mean the two skills, while both great, do have slight negative synergy with each other.

IMO there's little reason to have TWO repositional skills on a unit (both in this game and in 3H). While there may be some value in having different skills on different units for variety, there's definitely diminishing returns on putting multiple skills on one unit, because they largely serve the same purpose and skill slots are too valuable.

I agree with others, though for a different reason.  Due to the presence of Canter and how strong it is, the repositioning skills have much less utility.  Due to the strength of Canter, a large portion of your army will likely have Canter equipped.  And because they have Canter equipped they can just reposition themselves after combat most of the time.  They don't often need another unit to do that for them.

I tend to have a couple units that incidentally pick up one of these abilities, and it's rare that I actually feel the need to use them.

2 hours ago, Dark Holy Elf said:

I'm a big fan of Reposition in this game (and every other one it appears in) but you don't need to dedicate a build to it, just slap it on various units. It's probably most valuable on units who are more durable (since one use is to pull someone two squares back out of trouble, potentially exposing the repositioner instead) and more mobile (especially fliers who can stand on top of difficult or inaccessable terrain). Unlike in 3H you can't canter after using it, which is probably a good chance for balance reasons but does mean the two skills, while both great, do have slight negative synergy with each other.

IMO there's little reason to have TWO repositional skills on a unit (both in this game and in 3H). While there may be some value in having different skills on different units for variety, there's definitely diminishing returns on putting multiple skills on one unit, because they largely serve the same purpose and skill slots are too valuable.

I actually forgot that you can’t use canter after reposition. If that were true then that would have been so so good like it was in 3H. Good to note.