Rate the Unit 21: Fogado

Guidelines:

2.1.) mention the diffculty on which you rate the unit 

2.2.) what classes your unit went through, what skills they had and so on; don´t consider obviously suboptimal builds.

2.3.) no DLC rings, no non-unit DLC bonuses

2.4.) no grinding in skirmishes

2.5.) no rng abuse (no resetting for bond rings)

2.6.) cooking is allowed

2.7.) ratings to be given in the format X/10

2.8.) if it isn´t mentioned above, it´s fair game

2.9.) no "Kagetsu exists and obsoletes Lapis, 0/10", explain your rating

Unit: Fogado 

Class: Sentinel(Promotes to Cupido, with PS: When countering, unit may deal extra damage = half of damage taken. Trigger %=Dex.)

Lvl   HP  STR MAG DEX SPD DEF RES LCK BLD

Bases:          17    33     12    7      17    18    10     11    8    8

T. Bases:      17    12      7     6      8      11     6      8     6    2

Growths:      /      60     30   25    30    55   30    35   25  10

Personal Skill: During combat with a foe who was also unit’s most recent opponent, inflicts Crit-10 on that foe.

Innate Proficiency: Bow

SP: 1200

Support Bonuses:

C    Hit+10, Avoid+5
B    Hit+10, Critical+3, Avoid+5
A    Hit+10, Critical+3, Avoid+10
S    Hit+10, Critical+3, Avoid+20

Tools and mo stats:

Engage Numbers - Google Tabellen

Average Stats - Fire Emblem: Engage (FE17) (triangleattack.com)

Rating: 7.1

Next unit on Monday

Edited by Imuabicus der Fertige

Fogado is very solid, moderate ceiling/high floor unit.  He certainly doesn't have any sort of super-busted build akin to the most powerful units in the game.  But by the same token, he can also be a solid unit in your party without doing anything to him.  He starts with solid bases, and is a free deployment in one of the two deployment slot restricted Chapters in the mid-game.  In my Maddening runs, I would typically leave him in his default promoted class and was always satisfied with the performance.  He could handle pretty much every flier in the game in a single round of combat, and was capable of contributing good damage against either squishy enemies or low-resistance enemies with appropriate weapons.  He also has very good natural speed, which allows him to double consistently without requiring the highly contested speed-boosting resources.  Cupido Fogado must be on the short list for best wielder of the Radiant Bow, which in itself is one of the strongest weapons of the game, and that utility carries the build on its own.

I've heard that some people prefer switching Fogado into Warrior, and I can see the argument.  Warrior boosts strength significantly and improves physical bulk, but there is a trade-off in terms of lower speed, lower magic, and lower movement.  Such a unit would obviously be better against medium defense enemies like halberdiers and paladins, though it would sacrifice some of the top end capability using the Radiant Bow.  I'm also curious how much of a difference the drop in speed makes.  It's around 2 points by the endgame, which isn't everything, but it isn't nothing either.  If suddenly Warrior Fogado requires more speed help, it further contests already contested resources.

One last note to make is that Fogado is regularly a unit that I use without a emblem ring, and he doesn't suffer much for it.  That's actually important since we're considering no-DLC, where you ultimately have 14 deployment slots but only 12 emblem rings.  A couple of people have to be left out, and Cupido Fogado is totally functional without an emblem ring.

Outside the scope of the rules of this consideration, if you get him a Claude Bond Ring he makes great use of the extended range.  But the guarantee that would require bond ring rigging or dedicating a huge amount of bond fragments.  But putting aside that, Fogado's a very solid 7.5/10 for me.  Easy to throw into your army immediately once he joins, requires basically no resources to make functional, and a solid contributor throughout the entire game.  Very easy to like.

Here to talk Sentinel business with Fogado. This is assuming maddening.

He joins you along with Pandreo and Bunet turn 1 of chapter 12. Fogado is the third archer that joins you but unlike Etie or Alcryst, he is a mounted unit. Having a Silver Bow and Killer Bow at base with his high enough speed means he can at least double some of the slower enemies that are on the map. He can pretty much promote him immediately if you want or wait until he gets 1 level, up to you.

As already mentioned, Cupido was previously overlooked by some players initially but then saw that his magic stat is respectable for him to use Radiant Bow. Then when you see how hard he hits fliers with this thing, now we realize that he was better than we first thought. He can also effectively wield Levin Sword to give him an 1-2 range enemy phase.

To be fair, Warrior Anna can also pull this off. Or if you wanted to be funny and use Sniper Citrinne with a Radiant Bow you can see just how powerful that weapon really is. Fogado can also go Warrior and have his physical bulk improved including him becoming a backup unit. That does come at a price of less move and less magic but he can wield axes.

As for emblems. Lyn obviously comes to mind. I know, very original. Speed taker and speed + x is just so good for him. Once you get Sigurd back, he’ll love having Canter. Erika is another good option to piggyback off of Lunar Brace and Gentility. Or even Corrin if you like Draconic Hex.

Definitely a 7.5/10 for me as well. Very solid unit. He isn’t like a god slayer but no doubt he can contribute throughout your whole run.

Fogado is a solidly above average but not exceptional unit. Stat-wise he's got a bit of a speed focus similar to Kagetsu and Merrin, but not as good as either of them. He also has pretty good magic which is nice for the Radiant Bow. As mentioned he's a remarkably low-effort, effective combatant due to his speed, mobility, and bow access. You can make him another class too, the bow proficiency is a nice boon for Warrior.

I'm gonna throw out a rare decimal score and go with 6.5/10. Him being about halfway between Alcryst and Kagetsu feels right to me.

20/20 Cupido Fogado:
50 HP, 21 Str, 15 Mag, 29 Dex, 35 Spd, 19 Def, 25 Res, 15 Lck, 11 Bld, 6 Move

If using a Radiant Bow+3, lategame Fogado might still be weighed down by a speed point.  Other weapons are no problem for his build, though.
--

Yeah, what others said.  High floor, but only a moderate ceiling.  If you want high-mobility chip that also can blow up flyers, Fogado's there for you.  Isn't even that Emblem or resource dependent - he'd like Sigurd if available for even MORE mobility, but it's all good.  Also can quietly be an okay Celica user - lategame Celica isn't very good for the final 5 maps so isn't a highly contested Emblem, but she does offer both a Str and a Mag boost which Fogado can use both of, along with surprise Recover staff utility when Engaged, so if you're just looking to throw it in a place where she won't be wasted, Fogado is fine for taking her.

Fogado reminds me of second-half Chloé.  Similar to her, he has suspect mixed damage but great speed & mobility.  However, bows hitting weakness on a lot of units helps cover for the bad attack stats, and his excellent speed ensures he'll at least be doubling often.  Chloé does fall off a bit in the second half, but not THAT much.  I gave Alcryst a 6, and Fogado is usually better, so...

7/10 it is.

I don't really have a lot to add here other than to say that I agree with the general consensus. 7/10.

To make this post slightly less devoid of content, I'll add that when I used Fogado I gave him Lucina and a longbow, for maximum dual strike coverage. Was this optimal? Not remotely. Did I have a whole lot of fun with it? Absolutely.

Oh, and I'll also add that his personal is absolutely terrible, and it's hard to come up with any plausible circumstances where it would actually be useful. It's probably one of the worst in the game, which is an impressive feat given the low overall power levels of personals here. Still, going from a 1/10 down to a 0/10 rated personal does little to his overall viability as a unit.