Mario Wonder Direct announced for 8/31/23

Perkilator

32 minutes ago, Fabulously Olivier said:

Hopefully it's just being moved out of the way for an actual September general direct in 1-3 weeks. Because nothing kills a boner quite like a game-specific direct.

But at least it won't be buried under an deluge of third-party content, plus it might get more coverage than usual

Edited by Armchair General

I did saw it mentioned by GamexPlain. I'm still kind of wondered what we could see in the upcoming Super Mario Bros. Wonder. I might predict they might show off in the Nintendo Direct such as:

1. What DLC might get revealed for Super Mario Bros. Wonder.
  2. The reveal who is the new voice actor of Mario and Luigi since we know that Charles Martinet retired voicing Mario Bros. along with Wario and Waluigi and become the Mario Ambassador?
  3. What is Charles Martinet's role for Mario Ambassador about?
  4. Maybe some Bowser footages since we haven't seen him in any promotional materials yet.
  5. Maybe the entire Power-Ups shown in the game and what they're about like say Elephant Mario for example?
  6. What is about the Stretching things going on the game like the pipes for example?
Edited by King Marth 64

5 minutes ago, Armchair General said:

But at least it won't be buried under an deluge of third-party content, plus it might get more coverage than usual

That is presumably the advantage of the separate direct, IF there is also a general direct on the way. And also, no one wants 15 minutes of a 40 minute general direct spent on one game.

Sweet. Always love to see the individual game Directs. If it's a game I'm interested in (this one is) then I like getting a deep dive into what to expect. And if it's a game that I'm not interested in, then it's nice to have it segregated off somewhere I know not to watch.

Well, at least this time I have any interest in the game from the game-specific direct lol

I was pretty happy to see this, but then I thought about it and I realized... I'm not exactly sure what I'm hoping to see here? The trailer did a great job of showing everything that would catch people's eyes. It showed Daisy, it showed the funky world-changing mechanics, it showed the elephant, it showed the expressiveness of the new artstyle, it showed the talking flowers, it showed a Mario boss fight that actually looks unique (!!!!!!)... Not exactly sure what else could be shown.

So uh... Yeah, truth be told, I can't imagine what could possibly be big enough to warrant this apart from "it's the first 2D Mario in 11 years, it deserves its direct!" PC release? Nintendo finally making a move on that sweet, sweet Steam market? The chance is about as high as getting struck by lightning and then a meteor, but... hey? Pretty please? So I don't have to dust off my Switch?

It's almost a September Direct. Well, it'll be one hour to September in Japan once it starts. What is with the funky timing of Nintendo Directs the past few years anyway? It's an atrocious time for Japan, and in my wing of the US it's starting before morning coffee.

Mario Wonder huh? Funny what a name change and art style tweak can do for the hype surrounding a New Super Mario Bros game. Hey, it's got playable yellow and/or blue toad and an animal themed powerup, those are the check boxes for NSMB. I didn't make the rules. 

18 hours ago, Zapp Branniglenn said:

Mario Wonder huh? Funny what a name change and art style tweak can do for the hype surrounding a New Super Mario Bros game. Hey, it's got playable yellow and/or blue toad and an animal themed powerup, those are the check boxes for NSMB. I didn't make the rules. 

Daisy though

I watched it when it aired. I'm not a big fan of 2D Mario and I'm not sure that I'll play this one, but it does look interesting and creative.

The Wonder Flower is a neat addition; the way it presents a timed challenges that alters the stage is pretty cool.

Yoshi being playable... I'm torn on it. It is a neat idea in theory as an easy mode for the game, but it means that, if I'm playing by myself but I want to use a Yoshi like in older 2D Mario games, I have to play the game two-player and leave one of the controllers on but unused. Not only that, but the game already has the rabbit from the Wii U 2D Mario game for an easy mode.

It is a bit disappointing that the landscapes seem to once again be grasslands -> desert -> water -> jungle -> ice -> fire -> Bowser, but the ice theme does seem to be combined with a cloud theme this time.

Edited by vanguard333

44 minutes ago, vanguard333 said:

It is a bit disappointing that the landscapes seem to once again be grasslands -> desert -> jungle -> ice -> fire -> Bowser

Yeah, it's actually grasslands > ice/mountainous sky world > waterlogged jungle > desert > volcanic forest (seriously, someone on the dev team was probably high, btw) > fire > sea > and then the kaiju battle against Bowser.

It looks great, but I'm mainly disappointed that there's hardly anything to differentiate the characters like there was in the older Mario games.

39 minutes ago, Armchair General said:

Yeah, it's actually grasslands > ice/mountainous sky world > waterlogged jungle > desert > volcanic forest (seriously, someone on the dev team was probably high, btw) > fire > sea > and then the kaiju battle against Bowser.

It looks great, but I'm mainly disappointed that there's hardly anything to differentiate the characters like there was in the older Mario games.

Oh, right; I meant to include "water" in the list; thanks for the reminder.

Yeah, that is a bit disappointing, especially as Mario 3D World made the characters distinct. I imagine everyone is the same in terms of abilities because of the badge system.

Okay, I did seen the Nintendo Direct for Super Mario Bros. Wonder. I did notices some I already predicted what they had shown in the Super Mario Bros. Wonder Nintendo Direct. But some parts wasn't shown that I was surprised that they haven't announced in the Super Mario Bros. Wonder Nintendo Direct was:

On 8/29/2023 at 9:58 AM, King Marth 64 said:
  • What DLC might get revealed for Super Mario Bros. Wonder.
  • The reveal who is the new voice actor of Mario and Luigi since we know that Charles Martinet retired voicing Mario Bros. along with Wario and Waluigi and become the Mario Ambassador?
  • What is Charles Martinet's role for Mario Ambassador about?

I was hoping that I thought that they were going to reveal the new VA of Mario and Luigi in this Direct since we know that Nintendo had announced that Charles Martinet have retired voicing Mario weeks ago nor they said anything about Charles Martinet what his role as a Mario Ambassador really about? But we have no news about Super Mario Bros. Wonder is going to have DLC or not.

But it's good to see what is Bowser doing since touching the Wonder Flower actually made him morphed into the Castle is pretty bizarre and it made the reason why Bowser hasn't kidnapped Princess Peach in this game.

Edited by King Marth 64

The new power-ups look great. Elephant we already knew, but I thought it would be like the mega mushroom, a very situational transformation that wouldn't see much use outside of a handful of levels. Nice to see it's an actual, full-blown power-up. Bubbles had the potential of being just bad fire, but the whole "bounce off of platforms" thing is really cool. Plus, I dig the pink color schemes. Drill I like a bit less, but it's still nice, I hope there'll be a good few situations where the ceiling burrowing sees use.

On the topic of badges, I'm worried that the game will be too easy and the badges will feel entirely superfluous. Still, I appreciate it, if only for making the frog suit into an ability you can just take into all underwater levels to make them less sluggish to play through. That's just awesome. It's also great to have a currency you can actually spend in a Mario game. Lives are a woefully outdated system, but an ingame store is sure to incentivize my inner consumer to grab every purple coin in sight.

Yoshi... ehhhh. Giving Yoshi godmode ensures I won't play him, and being a playable character means riding Yoshi, which is always fun, will not be a thing if you're playing solo. A shame, honestly.

Lastly, I'm all for Bowser not kidnapping the obligatory royalty or his castle, but rather becoming the castle. It's such a bizarre and outlandish idea, but it suits this game like a glove and I can't wait to see what kind of final level and battle it will result in. This kind of stuff is what I was looking forward to in this game - true creativity, the likes of which 2D Mario hasn't seen since New Mario Wii.

5 hours ago, vanguard333 said:

It is a bit disappointing that the landscapes seem to once again be grasslands -> desert -> water -> jungle -> ice -> fire -> Bowser, but the ice theme does seem to be combined with a cloud theme this time.

I dig the sewer world, myself, but yeah they could've gotten a bit more creative with the world themes, in this game of all games. It feels more like a mix of worlds... and then just regular desert. C'mon, guys, you used up all your creativity points on the wonder mechanic or what?

41 minutes ago, Saint Rubenio said:

Yoshi... ehhhh. Giving Yoshi godmode ensures I won't play him, and being a playable character means riding Yoshi, which is always fun, will not be a thing if you're playing solo. A shame, honestly.

I dig the sewer world, myself, but yeah they could've gotten a bit more creative with the world themes, in this game of all games. It feels more like a mix of worlds... and then just regular desert. C'mon, guys, you used up all your creativity points on the wonder mechanic or what?

Yeah, I felt the same about Yoshi for this game. It is a shame.

Yeah. One simple world theme with a lot of potential that I'm surprised they haven't used: mountain. I'm surprised that they haven't tried a mountainous region as a 2D Mario world theme.

2 hours ago, vanguard333 said:

Yeah. One simple world theme with a lot of potential that I'm surprised they haven't used: mountain. I'm surprised that they haven't tried a mountainous region as a 2D Mario world theme

It popped up as an entire world in New Super Mario Bros, IIRC.

3 hours ago, Saint Rubenio said:

Well, there's only so many biomes that exists and this game is already combining several of them into one world; along with shuffling up the order they come in.