Like a Pokémon type but hate another? (like how Misty likes water types and hates bug types)

Paper Mario

• 4 weeks later...

The title doesn't line up with the content of the OP. That said, I don't really hate any particular Pokemon type; there have been Pokemon I like and don't like of each type. As for the type combinations, I think it's inevitable that we'll have standard Pokemon of every type pair eventually.

• 4 weeks later...
On 9/25/2023 at 6:18 PM, Lord_Brand said:

The title doesn't line up with the content of the OP. That said, I don't really hate any particular Pokemon type; there have been Pokemon I like and don't like of each type. As for the type combinations, I think it's inevitable that we'll have standard Pokemon of every type pair eventually.

The title was a question, the op content was to follow up with the question

• 2 weeks later...

Got an idea for an Ice/Poison type: A Koffing/Weezing variant, perhaps themed on colds. They'd be based on the sicknesses that often crop up around wintertime. I'd even consider introducing a "Sick" status that weakens the affected Pokemon by lowering their stats by one stage each, or even halving them. Like most statuses, Rest can cure it, as can Medicine.

Edited by Lord_Brand

1 hour ago, Lord_Brand said:

Got an idea for an Ice/Poison type: A Koffing/Weezing variant, perhaps themed on colds. They'd be based on the sicknesses that often crop up around wintertime. I'd even consider introducing a "Sick" status that weakens the affected Pokemon by lowering their stats by one stage each, or even halving them. Like most statuses, Rest can cure it, as can Medicine.

Idea - it's ordinary Koffing/Weezing, except much paler in color, and now wearing a mask on every one of its mouths. It'd be our first Ice/Poison type, a STAB combo that only Steel would resist. Having options like Icy Wind and Ice Beam would be really cool. It's not the best defensive typing - weak to Fire, Steel, Psychic, Rock, and Ground - although if it keeps Levitate, then that last one isn't a problem.

I don't think a mask for them would be necessary, as they would presumably already be immune to the sickness if not the sickness itself. I could however see them resembling a virus in form, with little spheres around their bodies. Though that might be hitting a bit close to home for the modern day. So, perhaps white versions emitting a noxious fog said to inflict colds on those who breathe it in? Or it could even simply be a cold version of Koffing and Weezing that appears in icy climates.

Alternatively, my brother suggested Pokemon called Sniffling and Sneezing, which would be similar-but-different in a manner not unlike Diglett/Wiglett and Tentacool/Toedscool, though they were complete type changes while this would still retain the Poison-type.

At any rate, I can definitely see the value of adding Ice to the movepool. In fact, I'm thinking of drafting up a potential learnset...

Cold Koffing

• Base stats nearly the same as Koffing, but with Attack and Special Attack swapped.
  • Learnset
    • 1: Poison Gas
    • 1: Tackle
    • 4: Smog
    • 8: Mist
    • 12: Icy Wind
    • 16: Avalanche
    • 20: Frost Breath
    • 24: Haze
    • 28: Self-Destruct
    • 32: Ice Beam
    • 36: Toxic
    • 40: Blizzard
    • 44: Explosion
    • 48: Memento
    • 52: Destiny Bond

Cold Weezing

• Learnset (evolves at level 35, so learned moves before that level are the same as Koffing)
    • 38: Toxic
    • 44: Blizzard
    • 50: Explosion
    • 56: Memento
    • 62: Destiny Bond
    • 68: Hail

11 hours ago, Lord_Brand said:

Base stats nearly the same as Koffing, but with Attack and Special Attack swapped.

Huh, I didn't know that Koffing and Weezing actually had higher Attack than Special Attack. Always thought of them as special attackers. Of course, a shift of 5 points here or there won't change much.

• 1: Poison Gas
  • 1: Tackle
  • 4: Smog
  • 8: Mist
  • 12: Icy Wind
  • 16: Avalanche
  • 20: Frost Breath
  • 24: Haze
  • 28: Self-Destruct
  • 32: Ice Beam
  • 36: Toxic
  • 40: Blizzard
  • 44: Explosion
  • 48: Memento
  • 52: Destiny Bond

Definitely a fan of the movepool! It should also get Sludge Bomb, although that one can be taught via TM, so it's not essential to learn via level-up. Speaking of which, since Ice Beam and Blizzard are both TM moves, maybe one could be replaced by a different Ice-type attack, such as Freeze-Dry or Icicle Crash? Oh, and if we want to go with "breath"-type moves, then a fun flavor option would be Dragonbreath.

Alternatively, my brother suggested Pokemon called Sniffling and Sneezing, which would be similar-but-different in a manner not unlike Diglett/Wiglett and Tentacool/Toedscool, though they were complete type changes while this would still retain the Poison-type.

Love the names, and the idea for "convergent species"! Or whatever they're calling them.

I could however see them resembling a virus in form, with little spheres around their bodies. Though that might be hitting a bit close to home for the modern day.

That would be a really cool design choice, personally! Koffing already almost looks like a coronavirus, haha. Hm... in light of your "Sickness" proposal, perhaps one of "Sniffling" and "Sneezing"'s abilities could be called "Contagious"? Basically, after the attacker uses a contact move against this Mon, both their attacking stats would fall by one stage. Kind of like Goodra's "Gooey", but lowering offenses instead of Speed. Could make this Mon a decent tank, in spite of its typing.

• 4 months later...

Overwhelmingly, I'd end up being a Dark type trainer based on my favorites. Largely by coincidence since I like Pokemon like Absol, Umbreon, Shiftry, Greninja, etc.

Least favorite type is easily Fairy. Again, not that I hate the type itself but just don't tend to be overly fond of the mons in it.

On 11/7/2023 at 10:02 AM, Shanty Pete's 1st Mate said:

Definitely a fan of the movepool! It should also get Sludge Bomb, although that one can be taught via TM, so it's not essential to learn via level-up. Speaking of which, since Ice Beam and Blizzard are both TM moves, maybe one could be replaced by a different Ice-type attack, such as Freeze-Dry or Icicle Crash? Oh, and if we want to go with "breath"-type moves, then a fun flavor option would be Dragonbreath.

I chose Ice Beam due to how close it is to Sludge Bomb in power. Funny that both are TM moves, which arguably makes them even more fitting as counterparts. Icicle Crash and Freeze-Dry aren't bad suggestions, though. Dragonbreath is...ok? Guess no reason it couldn't have that move, but would feel a bit odd on a Pokemon that isn't draconian.

Love the names, and the idea for "convergent species"! Or whatever they're calling them.

Thanks! I'll let my bro know.

That would be a really cool design choice, personally! Koffing already almost looks like a coronavirus, haha. Hm... in light of your "Sickness" proposal, perhaps one of "Sniffling" and "Sneezing"'s abilities could be called "Contagious"? Basically, after the attacker uses a contact move against this Mon, both their attacking stats would fall by one stage. Kind of like Goodra's "Gooey", but lowering offenses instead of Speed. Could make this Mon a decent tank, in spite of its typing.

I was considering a Sickness status that could be essentially like Poison or Burn, but with a different stat reduction. Or, perhaps their ability can function a bit like Mummy?

Contagious Cold - Contact with this Pokemon changes the attacker's ability to Contagious Cold. If this Pokemon isn't Poison or Ice-type, it loses 1/8 of its HP at the end of each turn, and damage dealt by its physical attacks is halved.

Of course, they'd probably have either Levitate or Neutralizing Gas as their other ability.