What should I call my manga? And which of these options sound best to you?

Arsène The Third

Who would have guessed? Who would have thought that one day, the manga I used to draw in the middle of high school classes would become something really achievable and the biggest dream of my life. Before, it was just a silly hobby to pass the time with my friends in the middle of a boring class. Today, it's my way of expressing my ideas and my passion. I've already got everything, from the characters and their goals to their world, their power systems and everything else that a decent Shonen could have. 

There's just one thing missing, a name.

Originally, I had named it Live Gear, but I began to think it didn't sound attractive or good enough... Eventually I decided I'd keep the "Gear", only what came before that was missing. I thought of Rev Gear, Solid Gear, and probably a bunch of other Gears that didn't hook me either...

The point is, I'd like some suggestions on what the title of my "*something* Gear" could be. I'll take anything! I'd also like to know if the names I said earlier sound cool or not. Also: I know that usually the best person to name a manga is the creator himself, but it turns out that my manga, at least in that sense, is more like ONE PIECE, where the title is actually just a combination of two random words that sound attractive and unique together, as well as being easy to pronounce. So anyone can suggest a title for my manga, with the only criteria being: sounding cool.

Hi, this ended up being sorta long so sorry in advance, I hope it helps you in some way:

Mmmmm, first of all, I actually kinda like Live Gear, it goes better on my ears than Rev Gear (that is not bad at all too), I still think that you can probably manage to find something that sounds cooler since that's the whole point for you, but if you don't then Live Gear does have some ring to it. I personally think you should avoid Solid Gear because it resembles Metal Gear Solid a bit too much, not sure if that's just my personal opinion or if others would agree though but that's the first thing that came to mind. Also, whichever name you end up choosing, always google it first just to be sure if it doesn't resemble something famous (and ask someone too, maybe the internet, if the title could resemble something, just to be sure)

Not sure if it has ANYTHING to do with your story but I always think that it sounds cool when they put random mythology or constellation/star related names on stuff (coincidentally, like Fire Emblem does), so stuff like Medusa Gear, Pandora Gear, Andromeda Gear or Sagittarius Gear have a cool ring for me (thinking well I think that around half or so of the constellations do have names from greek mythology so maybe that's why it sounds cool, but when I meant that I thought that myhtology names sounded cool I didn't mean only greek or roman it can be norse and celtic like on Fire Emblem or whatever as long as you don't use an overly unpronunciable name like FEH does sometimes). 

Other sort of name I find cool are ones related to music like they do on some Castlevania titles (like SYMPHONY of the night, ARIA of Sorrow, LAMENT of Innocence, RONDO of Blood, HARMONY of Dissonance, and so on. Even their japanese titles have them, MINUET of Dawn, Byakuya no CONCERT), idk why it just sounds so cool.

Another cool thing is to mix a non english word on the title like: Memoir Gear, Kaminari Gear, Nox Gear, Umbra Gear, Solis Gear, Vento Gear, Deja Vu Gear, Alfador Gear, Fiore Gear, Rouge Gear, Luna Gear, Akumu Gear, Incubu Gear, Yokai Gear, Soleil Gear. Just literally ANY random non english word that happens to look cool will do it (sure you should at least care to KNOW what it means just to not commit the mistake of picking an offensive word, but the actual meaning doesn't really matter, look at Steins: Gate, they probably just picked this name because it sounded cool and then came up with the first minimally believeable meaning that they could think of).

Other random ones that might sound cool: Solar Gear, Moon Gear, Time Gear, Midnight Gear, Thunder Gear, Eclipse Gear, Sonic Gear, Shadow Gear, Starlight Gear, Destiny Gear, Catharsis Gear/Katharsis Gear, Memory Gear, Dream Gear, Nightmare Gear, Spirit Gear, Detonation Gear, Galaxy Gear, Final Gear, Mad Gear, Madness Gear, Night Gear, Moonlight Gear, Fantasy Gear, Project Gear, Velvet Gear, Phoenix Gear, Blood Gear, Sould Gear, Heart Gear, Phantom Gear, Infrared Gear, Ultraviolet Gear, Steel Gear, Mutant Gear, Zero Gear, Hell Gear, Melody gear, Mind Gear, Fire Gear.

Names related to plant/flower names can look cool: Rose Gear, Iris Gear, Belladonna Gear, Crimson Gear, Narcissus Gear, Hydragea Gear.

Colors too: Black Gear, Red Gear, Silver Gear, Golden Gear, Ruby Gear.

Other thing that is randomly used to make something look cool is to put a ":" on the middle of the title like:   Detonation: Gear, Memory: Gear, Amnesia: Gear, Symphony: Gear, Terra: Gear. Visions: Gear, Infrared: Gear, Steel: Gear, Biohazard: Gear, Blizzard: Gear, Soleil: Gear, Zero: Gear, Rev: Gear. (think how cool it looks on Nier: Automata or Re: Zero)

Or to simply put a random person's name on the title because the name looks pretty or poetic or exotic (it normally would be the name of a character like "Legend of Zelda" or some historic figure on the world of your manga, but can be something as simple as a weapon that has a woman's name or other cool shit like that): Madalena Gear, Maria Gear, Ophelia Gear, Juliet Gear (I personally think that delicate woman names from christianism (like Maria) or from Shakeaspeare plays (like Juliet, Portia, Ophelia) or that flower names at the same time (like Rose, Violet) and this sort of this give a cool "gothic" feel to it, godesses names also look cool such as Athena Gear or Artemis Gear) (Obviously can be a male name too, like Hades Gear or Adam Gear or Chronos Gear or whatever).

Names of historical people can look cool too depending on who you choose, like Descartes Gear, or Einstein Gear, Da Vinci Gear,...

Also, of course: Using numbers, letters or greek letters. examples: X Gear, Zero Gear/0 Gear, 128-Gear, 024-Gear, Gamma Gear, Omega Gear

Some of these will probably sound VERY silly to you but it's near impossible to come up with a cool name that looks cool just because it's cool without bumping in some very edgy, silly, corny or ridiculous ideas during the Brainstorming. Also, it all boils down to which vibe you want the title to give out, some of these titles give away a very different feeling than others.

I hope I helped, if you want more ideas or more help or something, ask away and I'll try to help as I can.

31 minutes ago, ARMADS!!! said:

Hi, this ended up being sorta long so sorry in advance, I hope it helps you in some way:

Mmmmm, first of all, I actually kinda like Live Gear, it goes better on my ears than Rev Gear (that is not bad at all too), I still think that you can probably manage to find something that sounds cooler since that's the whole point for you, but if you don't then Live Gear does have some ring to it. I personally think you should avoid Solid Gear because it resembles Metal Gear Solid a bit too much, not sure if that's just my personal opinion or if others would agree though but that's the first thing that came to mind. Also, whichever name you end up choosing, always google it first just to be sure if it doesn't resemble something famous (and ask someone too, maybe the internet, if the title could resemble something, just to be sure)

Not sure if it has ANYTHING to do with your story but I always think that it sounds cool when they put random mythology or constellation/star related names on stuff (coincidentally, like Fire Emblem does), so stuff like Medusa Gear, Pandora Gear, Andromeda Gear or Sagittarius Gear have a cool ring for me (thinking well I think that around half or so of the constellations do have names from greek mythology so maybe that's why it sounds cool, but when I meant that I thought that myhtology names sounded cool I didn't mean only greek or roman it can be norse and celtic like on Fire Emblem or whatever as long as you don't use an overly unpronunciable name like FEH does sometimes). 

Other sort of name I find cool are ones related to music like they do on some Castlevania titles (like SYMPHONY of the night, ARIA of Sorrow, LAMENT of Innocence, RONDO of Blood, HARMONY of Dissonance, and so on. Even their japanese titles have them, MINUET of Dawn, Byakuya no CONCERT), idk why it just sounds so cool.

Another cool thing is to mix a non english word on the title like: Memoir Gear, Kaminari Gear, Nox Gear, Umbra Gear, Solis Gear, Vento Gear, Deja Vu Gear, Alfador Gear, Fiore Gear, Rouge Gear, Luna Gear, Akumu Gear, Incubu Gear, Yokai Gear, Soleil Gear. Just literally ANY random non english word that happens to look cool will do it (sure you should at least care to KNOW what it means just to not commit the mistake of picking an offensive word, but the actual meaning doesn't really matter, look at Steins: Gate, they probably just picked this name because it sounded cool and then came up with the first minimally believeable meaning that they could think of).

Other random ones that might sound cool: Solar Gear, Moon Gear, Time Gear, Midnight Gear, Thunder Gear, Eclipse Gear, Sonic Gear, Shadow Gear, Starlight Gear, Destiny Gear, Catharsis Gear/Katharsis Gear, Memory Gear, Dream Gear, Nightmare Gear, Spirit Gear, Detonation Gear, Galaxy Gear, Final Gear, Mad Gear, Madness Gear, Night Gear, Moonlight Gear, Fantasy Gear, Project Gear, Velvet Gear, Phoenix Gear, Blood Gear, Sould Gear, Heart Gear, Phantom Gear, Infrared Gear, Ultraviolet Gear, Steel Gear, Mutant Gear, Zero Gear, Hell Gear, Melody gear, Mind Gear, Fire Gear.

Names related to plant/flower names can look cool: Rose Gear, Iris Gear, Belladonna Gear, Crimson Gear, Narcissus Gear, Hydragea Gear.

Colors too: Black Gear, Red Gear, Silver Gear, Golden Gear, Ruby Gear.

Other thing that is randomly used to make something look cool is to put a ":" on the middle of the title like:   Detonation: Gear, Memory: Gear, Amnesia: Gear, Symphony: Gear, Terra: Gear. Visions: Gear, Infrared: Gear, Steel: Gear, Biohazard: Gear, Blizzard: Gear, Soleil: Gear, Zero: Gear, Rev: Gear. (think how cool it looks on Nier: Automata or Re: Zero)

Or to simply put a random person's name on the title because the name looks pretty or poetic or exotic (it normally would be the name of a character like "Legend of Zelda" or some historic figure on the world of your manga, but can be something as simple as a weapon that has a woman's name or other cool shit like that): Madalena Gear, Maria Gear, Ophelia Gear, Juliet Gear (I personally think that delicate woman names from christianism (like Maria) or from Shakeaspeare plays (like Juliet, Portia, Ophelia) or that flower names at the same time (like Rose, Violet) and this sort of this give a cool "gothic" feel to it, godesses names also look cool such as Athena Gear or Artemis Gear) (Obviously can be a male name too, like Hades Gear or Adam Gear or Chronos Gear or whatever).

Names of historical people can look cool too depending on who you choose, like Descartes Gear, or Einstein Gear, Da Vinci Gear,...

Also, of course: Using numbers, letters or greek letters. examples: X Gear, Zero Gear/0 Gear, 128-Gear, 024-Gear, Gamma Gear, Omega Gear

Some of these will probably sound VERY silly to you but it's near impossible to come up with a cool name that looks cool just because it's cool without bumping in some very edgy, silly, corny or ridiculous ideas during the Brainstorming. Also, it all boils down to which vibe you want the title to give out, some of these titles give away a very different feeling than others.

I hope I helped, if you want more ideas or more help or something, ask away and I'll try to help as I can.

MY GOD! YOU'RE A GENIUS!

Not only have you given me thousands of interesting options to experiment with, but you've also given me a great insight into what it is to name something and how many branches it can cover! Naming it like Greek figures, like music in the manner of Castlevania, like PLANTS OR COLORS... Man, I could NEVER think of options like that! Thank you so much!

I'll try to stick with "Live Gear" now that I've gotten a solid opinion of the title, but if I'm ever in doubt again, I know exactly what to do. I feel like I've acquired such an obvious and at the same time mindblowing information.

You've helped me a lot man and I hope you recognize that. It may seem so silly to some people, but it's people like you who make all the difference to the work of someone like me, who has no one to ask for help with all this creative writing and manga stuff. It really means the world to me bro, thanks.

23 hours ago, Arsène The Third said:

who has no one to ask for help with all this creative writing and manga stuff.

I hope you don't mind if I butt in, but there's a link to a discord server called the Writer's Guild on the WYBO Practice thread that may interest you.

Here's a link to the post if you wanna check it out. I think it might be very helpful for you if you're looking for other writers to connect with.

18 hours ago, indigoasis said:

I hope you don't mind if I butt in, but there's a link to a discord server called the Writer's Guild on the WYBO Practice thread that may interest you.

Here's a link to the post if you wanna check it out. I think it might be very helpful for you if you're looking for other writers to connect with.

That's seems awesome! I might give it a look when i have some free time. Thanks!

On 9/19/2023 at 4:26 AM, Arsène The Third said:

MY GOD! YOU'RE A GENIUS!

Not only have you given me thousands of interesting options to experiment with, but you've also given me a great insight into what it is to name something and how many branches it can cover! Naming it like Greek figures, like music in the manner of Castlevania, like PLANTS OR COLORS... Man, I could NEVER think of options like that! Thank you so much!

I'll try to stick with "Live Gear" now that I've gotten a solid opinion of the title, but if I'm ever in doubt again, I know exactly what to do. I feel like I've acquired such an obvious and at the same time mindblowing information.

You've helped me a lot man and I hope you recognize that. It may seem so silly to some people, but it's people like you who make all the difference to the work of someone like me, who has no one to ask for help with all this creative writing and manga stuff. It really means the world to me bro, thanks.

Oh, thanks that's very nice to hear(read?)! I'm  glad I could help you. I also have no one to ask for help with my creative writing and this sorta stuff (except that what I'm writing are a plot for a comic book and a book series, not a manga) so I get the struggle, and feel happy I could be of use to someone on the same situation.

Around 2020 or so I had to come up with the title for my comic book (that is also a story I had since middle school, up until 2020ish I was simply using the name of one of the characters- that at first was the MC but eventually I decided on making the deuteragonist so that definitively couldn't be the final title (also a running gag on the story is that a bunch of characters have a hard time pronouncing his name, so one more motive for why it couldn't be the definitive title)- as placeholder title) and like you, I wanted something that would sound cool above any other motive so I remember having to make a list of a bunch of words that sounded cool to me and trying to mash them together with one anothers, I think that by doing that I got some insight in what makes a name cool (and after that I started to pay a lot of attention to the cool titles I see around and what is it that makes me find them cool). Ironically, the name I came up in the end (that in the beggining was only related to the story in a very vague way, as again, the point was mainly to sound cool) ended up giving me an idea that shaped the whole premise of the story.

On 9/20/2023 at 3:50 AM, indigoasis said:

I'll check it as well when I have time, thank you for this!

I find it so odd that a Fire Emblem forum is the place where I see more writers supporting other writers (giving opinions, etc) like that, but I'm very thankful to have found a place where people seem to have concrete opinions on each others writers like that and give constructive criticism like here, so much that I'm pretty sure that when I need beta readers for the books I'm writing (or an editor, which I'll probably need since my first language isn't english so I might miss some grammar stuff), it's gonna be here for sure.