Idea: New Mega Evolutions in X and Y Remakes

Lord_Brand

Gen VI remakes are inevitable, and I, along with many others I imagine, hope to see Mega Evolutions make their glorious return with even more Mega Evolutions to celebrate. Thus, we can discuss what new Mega Evoutions we'd like to see.

Starters

Spoiler

When Gen VI introduced Mega Evolutions to the series, the Gen VI starters got utterly robbed in favor of Gen I pandering, most egregiously Charizard favoritism with two Mega Evolutions, each exclusive to one version or the other. I have a cool idea to add some extra punch to these Megas; each can have an ability that adds a third type, in addition to applying some other effect. I can even see the Starters getting X and Y Megas, similar to Charizard and Mewtwo.

• Mega Chesnaught
    • X Ability: Ground Armor - This Pokemon is Ground in addition to its other types, and its attacks increase its Attack by one stage.
    • Y Ability: Steel Armor - This Pokemon is Steel in addition to its other types, and attacks that make contact with it deal recoil damage to the user.
  • Mega Delphox
    • X Ability: Fairy Magic - This Pokemon is Fairy in addition to its other types, and its attacks increase its Special Attack by one stage.
    • Y Ability: Ghost Magic - This Pokemon is Ghost in addition to its other types, and its attacks have a 10% chance to Curse the target.
  • Mega Greninja
    • X Ability: Wind Edge - This Pokemon is Flying in addition to its other types, and its attacks raise its Speed by one stage.
    • Y Ability: Poison Edge - This Pokemon is Poison in addition to its other types, and its attacks have an additional 10% chance to Poison the target.

I could see other Megas either present or future receiving a similar twist.

Edited by Lord_Brand

• Lord_Brand changed the title to Idea: X and Y Mega Evolutions for Gen VI Starters
9 hours ago, Lord_Brand said:

Gen VI remakes are inevitable

Oh Arceus.

Gen VI was a decade ago.

Don't do this to me.

9 hours ago, Lord_Brand said:
  • Mega Chesnaught
    • X Ability: Ground Armor - This Pokemon is Ground in addition to its other types, and its attacks increase its Attack by one stage.
    • Y Ability: Steel Armor - This Pokemon is Steel in addition to its other types, and attacks that make contact with it deal recoil damage to the user.
  • Mega Delphox
    • X Ability: Fairy Magic - This Pokemon is Fairy in addition to its other types, and its attacks increase its Special Attack by one stage.
    • Y Ability: Ghost Magic - This Pokemon is Ghost in addition to its other types, and its attacks have a 10% chance to Curse the target.
  • Mega Greninja
    • X Ability: Wind Edge - This Pokemon is Flying in addition to its other types, and its attacks raise its Speed by one stage.
    • Y Ability: Poison Edge - This Pokemon is Poison in addition to its other types, and its attacks have an additional 10% chance to Poison the target.

Really cool idea! "Three-type Mons" are a bit hard to process mentally, but they could add some interesting interactions. Like, Mega Greninja Y can clear Toxic Spikes, while Mega Chesnaught X is immune to Electric attacks.

Of the effects, my favorite has to be Mega Delphox Y's. The "Curse" effect is dramatically underused, and it'd be great to see a new move, ability, or item that inflicts it. One objection - I think "+1 Attack/Sp.Attack/Speed per turn" has the potential to be pretty busted. We've seen the ban hammer applied to Mega Blaziken. I would suggest either reducing it to a 30% chance, or making it a "once per switch-in" effect. Conversely, you could probably get away with upping Mega Greninja X's Poison odds to 30%.

Oh, by the way - have you decided on a statline for these Mega Evolutions? Would they be the same across versions, or different? Those particulars could have a big impact on how viable these Mega Evos are.

• 3 months later...

I have not yet thought up a statline, but I shall endeavor to come up with one.

Thinking of changing Chesnaught's Megas around, and swapping Ground for Rock. I'm also thinking the Megas can just change their second type rather than grant a third.

@Shanty Pete's 1st Mate I started a Google doc for new Megas, not just for the starters but for XY remakes as a whole. Think I'll retool this topic to cover Gen VI remake Megas in general. Or should I start a new one?

https://docs.google.com/document/d/1V4QEhefSQPnGuSjzu9qi0mDEqqzAGoC_ths9luckV_g/edit?usp=drivesdk

Edited by Lord_Brand

• Lord_Brand changed the title to Idea: New Mega Evolutions in X and Y Remakes

Ooh, thanks for the reminder! Some really interesting ideas here.

Spoiler

Mega Arbok
Type Poison/Dark
Ability Snake Eyes
After using a move that targets an opponent, the opponent is Paralyzed.
HP 60
Attack 125
Defense 89
Sp. Attack 65
Sp Defense 109
Speed 100
Total 548

I like the type change! The statline seems solid for a physical attacker. The ability looks good... too good, perhaps? The wording suggests that, even if an attack misses, or the target Protects against it, they'll still get paralyzed. Seems excessive. I know Paralyze has been nerfed in recent gens, but just getting it for free seems OP.

Spoiler

Mega Nidoking
Type Poison/Ground
Ability Intoxicate
Normal-type moves become Poison-type moves. The power of those moves is boosted a little.
HP 81
Attack 122
Defense 97
Sp. Attack 105
Sp Defense 95
Speed 105
Total 605

Mega Nidoqueen
Type Poison/Ground
Ability
HP 90
Attack 102
Defense 107
Sp. Attack 95
Sp Defense 105
Speed 96
Total 605

Honestly, not a fan of the "just boost every stat by 20" approach for Megas. Feels really uninspired. I think there should be more divergence here. One option would be, make Nidoking much more offensive, while Nidoqueen goes far more defensive. Alternatively, make Nidoking a moreso physical attacker, while Nidoqueen could emphasize special attacking.

As for "Intoxicate", I don't really think Poison is a good enough offemsive type to justify this ability. A ton of types resist, or even are immune, to it. On top of that, Nidoking already has solid Poison-type options on both sides, like Poison Jab and Sludge Bomb. I would favor something like Defiant (if you were to go "all in" on physical attack), or maybe Merciless (synergizing with Sludge Bomb, or maybe Toxic Spikes support).

As for Nidoqueen? There's a very obvious ability for her - Queenly Majesty. It's a strong one competetively, being immune to the likes of Fake Out and Sucker Punch.

Spoiler

Mega Arcanine
Type Fire
Ability Ignite
Normal-type moves become Fire-type moves. The power of those moves is boosted a little.
HP 90
Attack 160
Defense 80
Sp. Attack 150
Sp Defense 80
Speed 95
Total 655

I do like the boldness of going all-in on the offensive stats here! That way, it can run a strong Overheat, without undermining its physical attacks. And it still has enough bulk to run Mornimg Sun. As for the ability, while Arcanine already has great Fire-type options, this would also mean a Fire-type Extremespeed. So I'm willing to forgive it, haha.

One point of concern - Hisuian Arcanine exists now. Can it mega-evolve into this form too, or is it just for the original "Kantonian" Arcanine? Will Hisuian Arcanine get its own Mega? Just questions to consider. So far, Mega Evolutions and Regional Variants haven't had to co-exist.

Spoiler

Mega Machamp
Type Fighting
Ability Martialize
Normal-type moves become Fighting-type moves. The power of those moves is boosted a little.
HP 90
Attack 150
Defense 100
Sp. Attack 85
Sp Defense 105
Speed 75
Total 605

Again, the "+20 across the board" feels a bit uninspired. Especially the Special Attack buff that's never gonna matter outside of gimmick sets. As for the ability, I'm struggling to find moves that Machamp could use with it. Maybe Return, if it hadn't been cut from the games? It already has a ton of Fighting-type options. I would've gone with Iron Fist, to boost its many punching moves (and to go along with his hopefully now-six arms). Or maybe Contrary, to combine with either Superpower or Close Combat.

Spoiler

Mega Dragonite
Type Dragon/Flying
Ability Aerilate
Normal-type moves become Flying-type moves. The power of those moves is boosted a little.
HP 91
Attack 154
Defense 115
Sp. Attack 120
Sp Defense 120
Speed 100
Total 700

A Dragon/Flying-type Mega, more focused on physical offense, with Aerilate? Yeah, this seems a little derivative of Mega-Salamence, even if it was unintentional. Personally, I'd like an ability that bolsters its defenses (as Multiscale did for base Dragonite). The "sicko" in me wants to give it Delta Stream - Mega Rayquaza's signature ability - but I doubt Game Freak would allow that. Hm... maybe Magic Guard, to bypass damage from Stealth Rocks and other conditions? Alternatively, Triage would be a weird pick, but it would give it priority Roost.

Spoiler

Mega Meganium
Type Grass
Ability Soothing Scent
The user produces a calming aroma that cuts opponents’ Attack and Special Attack in half.
HP 80
Attack 102
Defense 130
Sp. Attack 103
Sp Defense 130
Speed 80
Total 625

Holy moly! I like the idea of turning Meganium into a defensive tank, and of course "Mega-Meganium" deserves to exist. But this ability would effectively double its defensive stats, making it absurdly bulky. Even with a bad defensive typing. Hm... what if it only activated right when it switched in? That way, if the opponent switches out, the new Mon they send in wouldn't have their offenses debuffed. That would be more balanced, IMO.

EDIT: Some more thoughts...

Spoiler

Mega Feraligatr
Type Water/Dragon
Ability Sudden Snap
Biting attacks have increased priority.
HP 85
Attack 145
Defense 130
Sp. Attack 79
Sp Defense 83
Speed 108
Total 630

Okay, I really like this ability. Priority on Crunch and Ice Fang is a really cool prospect. Might become broken, if it ever got Fishious Rend. Still, in combination with the physical stat boosts, it would be really good, while differing in playstyle from the base form.

Spoiler

Mega Noctowl

Type Psychic/Flying

Ability Mentalize

Normal-type moves become Psychic-type moves. The power of those moves is boosted a little.

HP 100

Attack 50

Defense 50

Sp. Attack 136

Sp Defense 146

Speed 70

Total 552

A type change? I'm generally a fan of those in Mega Evolutions. And it's great to see one that emphasizes Special Defense. "Mentalize" is an interesting choice that matches with the type change, although it doesn't have a ton of moves to exploit with it... Hyper Voice? Uproar? The low Speed and Defense would remain liabilities, balancing it out. Overall, I give a hoot about this one.

Spoiler

Mega Flygon

Type Bug/Dragon

Ability Sand Veil

Boosts the Pokémon's evasiveness in a sandstorm.

HP 80

Attack 120

Defense 100

Sp. Attack 100

Sp Defense 100

Speed 120

Total 620

Pretty basic "+20 across the board", unfortunately. My hope for a Mega Flygon is actually one that would emphasize Special Attack instead. It gets a stellar movepool, but no stats or boosting move to make up for it (give Flygon Quiver Dance, you cowards!). And Tinted Lens would be a perfect ability for it - its lenses are literally tinted red! Sand Veil isn't a bad ability, certainly, though it would unfortunately exclude it from the Smogon meta.

One more idea, for one of my favorites that deserves some love. It's Mega Lumineon:

Spoiler

Mega Lumineon

Type: Water/Fairy

Ability: Drizzle

Stats

HP: 69

Att: 69 (+10) = 79

Def: 76 (+10) = 86

SpAtt: 69 (+20) = 89

SpDef: 86 (+20) = 106

Spd: 91 (+40) = 131

BST: 460 (+100) = 560

New moves: Quiver Dance, Moonlight

Drizzle is obviously very useful, but also very rare. It's the only weather ability that never got its own Mega. The idea here is to grant more utility to Lumineon, by turning it into an instant rain-maker. It'll also almost always have first strike, thanks to its Speed increase. From there, it could U-Turn (or Flip Turn) out ASAP, or run a support option like Tailwind. Quiver Dance would give a boosting option, while Moonlight is much better healing than Aqua Ring. It won't hit the hardest, but it could serve as the centerpiece of a Rain team.

There's more I could comment on, but I'll leave it there for now. Some really neat ideas here! Thanks for sharing!

Edited by Shanty Pete's 1st Mate
More responses, plus Mega Lumineon..

On 1/25/2024 at 6:19 AM, Shanty Pete's 1st Mate said:

I like the type change! The statline seems solid for a physical attacker. The ability looks good... too good, perhaps? The wording suggests that, even if an attack misses, or the target Protects against it, they'll still get paralyzed. Seems excessive. I know Paralyze has been nerfed in recent gens, but just getting it for free seems OP.

Perhaps. Maybe it could be limited to status moves aimed at the target? Stuff like Leer, Mean Look, Attract, etc.

Honestly, not a fan of the "just boost every stat by 20" approach for Megas. Feels really uninspired. I think there should be more divergence here. One option would be, make Nidoking much more offensive, while Nidoqueen goes far more defensive. Alternatively, make Nidoking a moreso physical attacker, while Nidoqueen could emphasize special attacking.

As for "Intoxicate", I don't really think Poison is a good enough offemsive type to justify this ability. A ton of types resist, or even are immune, to it. On top of that, Nidoking already has solid Poison-type options on both sides, like Poison Jab and Sludge Bomb. I would favor something like Defiant (if you were to go "all in" on physical attack), or maybe Merciless (synergizing with Sludge Bomb, or maybe Toxic Spikes support).

As for Nidoqueen? There's a very obvious ability for her - Queenly Majesty. It's a strong one competetively, being immune to the likes of Fake Out and Sucker Punch.

I've considered both of those options. The tricky part is that when giving Megas to Pokemon who already have quite high numbers in some stats, you want to make sure not to crank it too high. This problem hits harder further down. I guess I could give King a 50 in each attack stat?

Queenly Majesty works perfectly for Nidoqueen. Gonna want to give Nidoking a Kingly counterpart of some kind. Supreme Overlord could also work, to co-opt another currently-unique ability.

I've rejigged the stats so Mega Nidkoing is a mixed sweeper-defense tank and Mega Nidoqueen is a special sweeper-mixed tank.

I do like the boldness of going all-in on the offensive stats here! That way, it can run a strong Overheat, without undermining its physical attacks. And it still has enough bulk to run Mornimg Sun. As for the ability, while Arcanine already has great Fire-type options, this would also mean a Fire-type Extremespeed. So I'm willing to forgive it, haha.

One point of concern - Hisuian Arcanine exists now. Can it mega-evolve into this form too, or is it just for the original "Kantonian" Arcanine? Will Hisuian Arcanine get its own Mega? Just questions to consider. So far, Mega Evolutions and Regional Variants haven't had to co-exist.

Fire-type Extremespeed is precisely why I included that ability. :D Incidentally, it originally was going to give Arcanine's Fire-type attacks increased priority, but a chat with my bro made clear that was broken, so I went for a simpler Pixilate template.

Again, the "+20 across the board" feels a bit uninspired. Especially the Special Attack buff that's never gonna matter outside of gimmick sets. As for the ability, I'm struggling to find moves that Machamp could use with it. Maybe Return, if it hadn't been cut from the games? It already has a ton of Fighting-type options. I would've gone with Iron Fist, to boost its many punching moves (and to go along with his hopefully now-six arms). Or maybe Contrary, to combine with either Superpower or Close Combat.

Machamp is one of those cases where having an already-high Attack makes it seriously difficult to give it a focused stat gain like Arcanine or the Nidos. Iron Fist isn't a bad idea. Hmm...what about an ability that increases the power of moves with no secondary effects? Like Strength, Mega Punch, etc. Or, he could have some kind of "Power Unleashed" ability that raises Attack each turn, due to the belt being removed. Maybe an Armstrong ability that increases the power of arm moves? Fist moves would be a subcategory of those, and others could include chops, slaps, palm strikes, and throws.

A Dragon/Flying-type Mega, more focused on physical offense, with Aerilate? Yeah, this seems a little derivative of Mega-Salamence, even if it was unintentional. Personally, I'd like an ability that bolsters its defenses (as Multiscale did for base Dragonite). The "sicko" in me wants to give it Delta Stream - Mega Rayquaza's signature ability - but I doubt Game Freak would allow that. Hm... maybe Magic Guard, to bypass damage from Stealth Rocks and other conditions? Alternatively, Triage would be a weird pick, but it would give it priority Roost.

I'd noted that some Megas shared abilities, like Pixilate for Mega Gardevoir and Mega Altaria, and though I originally had a Draconify ability that turned Mega Dragonite's Normal-type moves Dragon, my bro pointed out that Aerilate would be preferable as no type is immune to Flying and Flying super effects more types than Dragon. Given Dragonite's connection to the sea, I'd considered something like Swift Swim.

Holy moly! I like the idea of turning Meganium into a defensive tank, and of course "Mega-Meganium" deserves to exist. But this ability would effectively double its defensive stats, making it absurdly bulky. Even with a bad defensive typing. Hm... what if it only activated right when it switched in? That way, if the opponent switches out, the new Mon they send in wouldn't have their offenses debuffed. That would be more balanced, IMO.

That's one possiblity. Grassy Surge is another, boosting the power of its STAB moves and healing it each turn.

Incidentally, I was thinking intense heat could be another weather effect that would function as the Fire-type's equivalent to Sandstorm and Hail.

A type change? I'm generally a fan of those in Mega Evolutions. And it's great to see one that emphasizes Special Defense. "Mentalize" is an interesting choice that matches with the type change, although it doesn't have a ton of moves to exploit with it... Hyper Voice? Uproar? The low Speed and Defense would remain liabilities, balancing it out. Overall, I give a hoot about this one.

Ha! Yeah, I see what you mean about Mentalize. Needs something else.

Thought of a new ability for Mega Xatu: Prediction. The user remembers the last three attacks to hit it during the battle and cannot be hit by any of those attacks. In the case of multi-hit moves, the first time the move is used on Mega Xatu, it will hit as normal, but if the opponent tries to use that move on Xatu again, each hit will miss. In the case of binding moves, the recurring damage resulting from the bind will hit, though any subsequent uses of the move will fail so long as they're in the memory queue.

Pretty basic "+20 across the board", unfortunately. My hope for a Mega Flygon is actually one that would emphasize Special Attack instead. It gets a stellar movepool, but no stats or boosting move to make up for it (give Flygon Quiver Dance, you cowards!). And Tinted Lens would be a perfect ability for it - its lenses are literally tinted red! Sand Veil isn't a bad ability, certainly, though it would unfortunately exclude it from the Smogon meta.

I've tried a new build that pushes its Attack and Special Attack both to 130, and ups the Speed to 120 to boot.

One more idea, for one of my favorites that deserves some love. It's Mega Lumineon:

Drizzle is obviously very useful, but also very rare. It's the only weather ability that never got its own Mega. The idea here is to grant more utility to Lumineon, by turning it into an instant rain-maker. It'll also almost always have first strike, thanks to its Speed increase. From there, it could U-Turn (or Flip Turn) out ASAP, or run a support option like Tailwind. Quiver Dance would give a boosting option, while Moonlight is much better healing than Aqua Ring. It won't hit the hardest, but it could serve as the centerpiece of a Rain team.

There's more I could comment on, but I'll leave it there for now. Some really neat ideas here! Thanks for sharing!

Fairy is an interesting choice to add. Luminion has only one attack that can take advantage of it, though.

Thanks for the input!

Edited by Lord_Brand

On 2/1/2024 at 8:20 AM, Lord_Brand said:

Queenly Majesty works perfectly for Nidoqueen. Gonna want to give Nidoking a Kingly counterpart of some kind. Supreme Overlord could also work, to co-opt another currently-unique ability.

I've rejigged the stats so Mega Nidkoing is a mixed sweeper-defense tank and Mega Nidoqueen is a special sweeper-mixed tank.

Sound like some good ideas! Ah yeah, I had forgotten about Supreme Overlord, since I haven't played the most recent games. It would be very good on a mixed sweeper.

Fire-type Extremespeed is precisely why I included that ability. 😄Incidentally, it originally was going to give Arcanine's Fire-type attacks increased priority, but a chat with my bro made clear that was broken, so I went for a simpler Pixilate template.

Oof, here I am imagining priority Flare Blitzes and Overheats. There's a reason they nerfed Gale Wings beyond Gen VI.

Machamp is one of those cases where having an already-high Attack makes it seriously difficult to give it a focused stat gain like Arcanine or the Nidos. Iron Fist isn't a bad idea. Hmm...what about an ability that increases the power of moves with no secondary effects? Like Strength, Mega Punch, etc. Or, he could have some kind of "Power Unleashed" ability that raises Attack each turn, due to the belt being removed. Maybe an Armstrong ability that increases the power of arm moves? Fist moves would be a subcategory of those, and others could include chops, slaps, palm strikes, and throws.

Fair point on the stats. As for the abilities, Power Unleashed sounds pretty busted, much like Speed Boost. Especially on a Mon with priority options. Maybe Moxie instead? So it's getting the Attack boosts, but only when it earns it through a KO. I also like the idea of an "inverse Sheer Force". Would it also apply to moves like Close Combat, which do have a side effect, but aren't boosted by Sheer Force (because it's a negative side effect)?

Also, if the belt is comimg off, we might need to get our censorship bars ready...

I'd noted that some Megas shared abilities, like Pixilate for Mega Gardevoir and Mega Altaria, and though I originally had a Draconify ability that turned Mega Dragonite's Normal-type moves Dragon, my bro pointed out that Aerilate would be preferable as no type is immune to Flying and Flying super effects more types than Dragon. Given Dragonite's connection to the sea, I'd considered something like Swift Swim.

Swift Swim isn't one I'd thought of, but it could make sense. Especially if the Mega evolution shares some design cues with Dragonair - i.e. bluish coloration, more slender body. Dragonite also already gets a bunch of moves that go well with Rain, like Hurricane and Aqua Tail.

That's one possiblity. Grassy Surge is another, boosting the power of its STAB moves and healing it each turn.

Incidentally, I was thinking intense heat could be another weather effect that would function as the Fire-type's equivalent to Sandstorm and Hail.

Grassy Surge would be great, too, for that passive healing! Couple it with a boosted Giga Drain, and you've got a great wall.

Hm, I don't know if we need "intense heat", when we've already got a Fire-type weather condition in Sunny Day. What about, instead, Mega Typhlosion got an ability that essentially threw off a Fire Spin right away? That way, you're doing passive damage to the opponent, while also having a trapping effect.

Thought of a new ability for Mega Xatu: Prediction. The user remembers the last three attacks to hit it during the battle and cannot be hit by any of those attacks. In the case of multi-hit moves, the first time the move is used on Mega Xatu, it will hit as normal, but if the opponent tries to use that move on Xatu again, each hit will miss. In the case of binding moves, the recurring damage resulting from the bind will hit, though any subsequent uses of the move will fail so long as they're in the memory queue.

It's an interesting prospect, but a little confusing. And potentially overpowered - like, if the opponent has Earthquake and three other moves, and has already used the other three moves, then Xatu is effectively invincible. I would limit the "memory" to the "last move used", while also giving it a 50% activation rate (like Wonder Skin). So, if the last move was Surf, and they try to use it again, Xatu would have a 50% chance of dodging it. This could be really strong against "choiced" opponents, who would be forced to either switch out, or take a gamble every time.

I've tried a new build that pushes its Attack and Special Attack both to 130, and ups the Speed to 120 to boot.

Interesting! Very much a "glass cannon" aspect. I like the idea of Flygon presenting a "dual threat" on either offensive side.

Fairy is an interesting choice to add. Luminion has only one attack that can take advantage of it, though.

Thanks for the input!

Yeah, thinking on it, I'm feeling kinda "take it or leave it" about the Fairy typing. I think it works thematically with its design, and makes it more interesting defensively. But as you mentioned, it doesn't have many STAB options currently. Also, if it gets a great ability like Drizzle, then people will find a use for it, even if it's pure Water. If we didn't already have a pure Water-type Mega in Blastoise, I probably would've just stuck with it.

Anytime, glad to contribute! I'm happy to give feedback on the other entries, too, once those are updated. Some great ideas here.

17 hours ago, Shanty Pete's 1st Mate said:

Fair point on the stats. As for the abilities, Power Unleashed sounds pretty busted, much like Speed Boost. Especially on a Mon with priority options. Maybe Moxie instead? So it's getting the Attack boosts, but only when it earns it through a KO. I also like the idea of an "inverse Sheer Force". Would it also apply to moves like Close Combat, which do have a side effect, but aren't boosted by Sheer Force (because it's a negative side effect)?

Also, if the belt is comimg off, we might need to get our censorship bars ready...

Moxie's an interesting choice. The opponent will have to think carefully before choosing their next Pokemon, lest Mega Machamp hit it even harder. Unless it's a Ghost-type. Come to think of it...what if Mega Machamp had Scrappy? Now even Ghost-types aren't safe from its brutal attacks!

Swift Swim isn't one I'd thought of, but it could make sense. Especially if the Mega evolution shares some design cues with Dragonair - i.e. bluish coloration, more slender body. Dragonite also already gets a bunch of moves that go well with Rain, like Hurricane and Aqua Tail.

I could definitely see a Mega Dragonite developing more traits in common with Dragonair, like the coloration and wing stylings. Maybe it gets a longer tail, with the blue gem orbs? Always was weird that Dragonite dropped most of its prevolutions' distinct traits in favor of looking like Charizard's cutesy cousin. Also, as an aside, fans have long joked about what Dragonite's Mega Stone would be called since most of them just add "ite" to the ends of their names. But, I think "Dragonitite" would work.

Hm, I don't know if we need "intense heat", when we've already got a Fire-type weather condition in Sunny Day. What about, instead, Mega Typhlosion got an ability that essentially threw off a Fire Spin right away? That way, you're doing passive damage to the opponent, while also having a trapping effect.

Auto Fire-Spin? That's an interesting idea. Some kind of Fire Trap ability, perhaps? If they had a Grass-type binding move (and honestly, Grass should have gotten one before Fire or Water), I could see the same working for Mega Serperior.

It's an interesting prospect, but a little confusing. And potentially overpowered - like, if the opponent has Earthquake and three other moves, and has already used the other three moves, then Xatu is effectively invincible. I would limit the "memory" to the "last move used", while also giving it a 50% activation rate (like Wonder Skin). So, if the last move was Surf, and they try to use it again, Xatu would have a 50% chance of dodging it. This could be really strong against "choiced" opponents, who would be forced to either switch out, or take a gamble every time.

Good point, and good suggestions. I'll work with that, then.

"If an opponent tries to use the same attack on the user twice in a row, it has a 50% chance to miss."

Yeah, thinking on it, I'm feeling kinda "take it or leave it" about the Fairy typing. I think it works thematically with its design, and makes it more interesting defensively. But as you mentioned, it doesn't have many STAB options currently. Also, if it gets a great ability like Drizzle, then people will find a use for it, even if it's pure Water. If we didn't already have a pure Water-type Mega in Blastoise, I probably would've just stuck with it.

Anytime, glad to contribute! I'm happy to give feedback on the other entries, too, once those are updated. Some great ideas here.

Flying would work decently well as a secondary type, as Luminion learns a few Flying-type moves. Ice could also work, since it learns a few as TMs and it lives deep underwater, where it would be a lot colder.

Thanks! I've been working on some of the later generation Pokemon as well.

But you know, a thought ocurred to me: They introduced new Megas in ORAS, right? And should have introduced new Megas in BDSP. So, what if Gen 5 Remakes also added new Megas? After the disappointment that BDSP turned out to be, they need to regain the fans' faith with the Gen 5 remakes, and new Megas would be one good way to stir up excitement for them. I might start a document for theoretical Gen V Remake Megas, and move some of my current Megas to it. Or, I'll modify my current Megas document to cover different generations.

Edited by Lord_Brand