Legendary Hero - Elincia: Undaunted Queen

Fire Emblem Fan

23 minutes ago, Jotari said:

Yeah, but her other big moment in Radiant Dawn is when she lays down her sword and goes into battle unarmed. So you can kind of justify anything if you try hard enough...wait a second, goes into battle unarmed. Legendary Elincia should have been a Gauntlet Flier!

We definitely needed Earth Sword Nana so I'm cool with that and even though I'd like to see the Blaggi sword some day, Legendary Leif as Master Knight was definitely a good choice. But yeah, Deirdre could totally have been a staff user, even in her base form. And she even has a somewhat associated staff in the form of Silence. Okay, yeah it's not her prf or anything, but her using in on Sandima is basically a scripted battle it's urged so much. A silence as a status effect isn't something we've seen in Heroes and would be super useful. Which in turn would make restore a lot more valuable as Deirdre becomes the ultimate anti magic unit 

Gauntlet? What's a... gauntlet? Oh did you mean dragon? Gotcha, I'm picking up what you're putting down, friend.

4 hours ago, Sunwoo said:

I wonder why they seem to hate staff legendaries so much.

Because prior to Duo Elise introducing new skills that made staves actually good at combat, staves were awful at straight combat performance and were forced to be relegated to support roles. And even with the new skills, the only thing they really have going for themselves compared to other units is Dazzling Staff. This locks them out of a B slot entirely, and even if you drop Dazzling Staff to run a different skill, you're usually still forced to run a skill with damage reduction because staves don't have access to Remote Sparrow. (And staff units with Dazzling Staff on their weapon can't even open their B slot at all because they need Wrathful Staff there to be a combat unit.)

The only Legendary/Mythic staff unit in the game is Elimine, who was released before Duo Elise and is purely a support unit, but is intended to be used in a game mode where support units are useful (at least until they introduced Freyr and made Elimine useless).

Any Legendary Hero released before Duo Elise that could have been a staff unit simply wouldn't have been a staff unit. The only Legendary Heroes released after Duo Elise that could have been a staff unit are Guinevere and Elincia. Guinevere's gimmick as a trail map unit in her source game is the fact that she has an S rank in light magic despite the Sage class not having access to the weapon type normally (which also prevents her from reaching S rank in anima magic or staves). And Elincia just got a staff version (with new staff skills) in her Ascended version, so there's no reason to repeat the unit type.

1 hour ago, Acacia Sgt said:

Should've been using a staff as a physical weapon. It's what RD did with its staffs, after all...

And it was not combat-viable except for the few staves with a 100% critical hit rate (and even then, it was usually not a good idea).

And we already have Ascended Elincia that fills that role anyways.

Legendary Leif has arguably been my most consistently used unit in the entire run of FEH, so you'll pry him from my cold dead hands. 😛

As for Elincia, I do feel that the Ascended and Legendary character pools should be mutually exclusive, so ideally one should be deleted, and likely the non-staff one. But I'm not complaining too hard now because the precedent had unfortunately already been set.

36 minutes ago, Humanoid said:

Legendary Leif has arguably been my most consistently used unit in the entire run of FEH, so you'll pry him from my cold dead hands. 😛

As for Elincia, I do feel that the Ascended and Legendary character pools should be mutually exclusive, so ideally one should be deleted, and likely the non-staff one. But I'm not complaining too hard now because the precedent had unfortunately already been set.

Ascended barely even feels special now. More like just a rebrand so we'll get less upset about endless alts. *Sigh* Joshua brought such promise for what it could be for units in the third tier of narrative importance.

16 hours ago, Ice Dragon said:

Guinevere's gimmick as a trail map unit in her source game is the fact that she has an S rank in light magic despite the Sage class not having access to the weapon type normally (which also prevents her from reaching S rank in anima magic or staves).

Minor correction, but: no it doesn't. Binding Blade lets you S multiple weapon types.

1 hour ago, Seafarer said:

Minor correction, but: no it doesn't. Binding Blade lets you S multiple weapon types.

Multiple S ranks is indeed possible in Binding Blade, but I'm pretty sure you can't actually raise weapon ranks in trial maps.

1 hour ago, Jotari said:

Multiple S ranks is indeed possible in Binding Blade, but I'm pretty sure you can't actually raise weapon ranks in trial maps.

Either way, her having S Light isn't what's preventing her from getting an S in her other weapons, which is what I inferred Ice Dragon believed based on his wording.

Either way, her having S Light isn't what's preventing her from getting an S in her other weapons, which is what I inferred Ice Dragon believed based on his wording.

I feel that probably is what Ice Dragon meant, though it is possible to interpret it as "She got a default S Rank light where of she didn't have light magic she probably would have come with S Rank Anima or Staves". That being said, from a Binding Blade perspective, S rank light is a lot more valuable for a bonus unit than S rank anima, as it's pretty difficult to raise Light magic ranks in Binding Blade due to no tier 1 light magic class and the tier 2 light magic classes already doing double duty as staff bots. So for anyone actually doing trial maps, Guinevere probably has uncontested access to Aueroela.

35 minutes ago, Jotari said:

I feel that probably is what Ice Dragon meant,

Yeah, that is what I meant. It's easy for me to get mechanics mixed up in my head for the older games because it's been about a decade and a half since I last played any of them.

24 minutes ago, Ice Dragon said:

Yeah, that is what I meant. It's easy for me to get mechanics mixed up in my head for the older games because it's been about a decade and a half since I last played any of them.

It's an easy mistake to make as not only did the other GBAs give that restriction, but it's not very likely at all you'll get more than one S Rank in Binding Blade since wexp gain is so slow. I only know because I've player it recently and noticed I it's with an S rank were still gaining wexp. I don't like the S rank restriction in general. If I am willing to go through that struggle of raising two S ranks then I want to have a bad ass with overly centralized legendary weapon distribution.