Joking a reason for getting warned?

Seph

I try my best to obey the rules, but 2 days ago I posted a thread with a simple joke:

http://serenesforest.net/forums/index.php?showtopic=10983

Which I got a warning from. I seriously don't get it. I try to obey the rules, and I make a joke (which was nevertheless a saddening one but it didn't insult anybody personally on this forum) and I get warned for it?

http://serenesforest.net/forums/index.php?showtopic=1382

The thread doesn't break ANY rule there. I was definitely not flaming FE3 Player, because you can see from our other posts, we have nothing against each other.

So my question is, why on earth did I get warned for such a thing? Do the staff have their own secret rules?

Even if I'm wrong, then the rules should definitely be edited, because it lures members like me into warns.

I'll try not to joke from now on then, however funny.

And yes, I am posting this a bit late.

Edited by Julius

You acted as if another member had died. That sort of thing isn't funny in the slightest.

It was in Far from the Forest! And that's personal opinion. It was supposed to get FE3 Player's attention and other people.

The internet is not serious business. Take it as such. Don't be ridiculously silly, but don't take offensive to everything. Far from the Forest allows sillyness.

If I were serious, it'd be in General.

Edited by Julius

Just because it was in FFtF doesn't mean you can post absolutely anything. Stating that another member has passed away, regardless of it being a joke, is just bad taste. There are certain lines you just shouldn't cross.

At least they should be in the rules, and they're not.

You gave me a warn for bad taste?

You have to be REALLY naive to fall for that. I mean, really. There was a link I provided in that thread. It said "November 2008". So, it's obvious that no one died. That changes a lot.

Okay, I'm sorry for making a joke, I'll never do that again. Oh yeah, making a joke should probably be in the rules.

Edited by Julius

Even if there are people stupid enough to fall for it, it doesn't excuse that it's bad taste.

Anyway, nobody said that you shoudn't joke around at all- the warn was only for that particular "joke". You shouldn't take it the wrong way ^^;;;

Also, there's no real need to add this as an official rule, since there's dozens of unwritten "rules", most of which should be fairly obvious to internet goers.

Edited by VincentASM

Alright, it's nice to know I got warned for bad taste.

Also, I seriously doubt the rules have "don't post something in which you claim a person died as a joke in a spam board".

Julius, you should look at it from a different point of view. Move yourself into Thingy, who seemed offended by your "joke". How would you feel?

Just another thing you might think about, aside of the things already mentioned.

It's similar to the whole "Fire in a movie theatre" line.

Sure it can be funny, but there is a time and place for a joke. And sometimes they go a bit far.

Personally, I would have given you a verbal warning, but that's just me.

Also, I have a question about the new warn system, since that thread was closed: IF we double post in FFtF accidental or not, would that still qualify for a verbal warn? Though, I would agree that posting 5 times in a row should qualify as warn worthy. But I'm only wondering two.

Things like that are a serious matter, regardless of where you post them. You shouldn't be joking about something that serious, plain and simple.

Which didn't even happen..

Heck, there was a book released just for the funniest ways to die. I'll get the link if I can find it.

Move yourself into Thingy, who seemed offended by your "joke". How would you feel?

Nothing, I'm definitely not that naive.

Personally, I would have given you a verbal warning, but that's just me.

That's what I thought about. A normal warn is way too serious for something like this.

Edited by Julius

However, due to the new warn system, you might just have been a sort of role model. Someone to show the rest of us that the admins and mods are serious about this system this time.

The best thing you can do is apologize and just take it. Before they decide to warn you again.

I'm calling bullshit on this warn. He did. Not. Break. A. Rule. If the joke was in absolutely horrible taste (which is still debateable), locking the thread and giving him whatever tongue-lashing desired would have been appropriate, but an actual warn for doing something that violates no rule is not cool.

That being said, I'll understand if someone comes in and says that I need to bitch somewhere else. If so, who do I talk to about getting his warn removed?

...I feel like I'm Cynthia. Dang.

you might just have been a sort of role model
I highly doubt the staff would do something stupid like that, when there are people who are actually breaking rules to make examples out of.
It's called having common sense.
If lacking common sense was a punishable[/i] offense, there are a lot of threads that could be put before this as needing to be dealt with. But it's not, so I guess that's irrelevant.
Stating that another member has passed away, regardless of it being a joke, is just bad taste. There are certain lines you just shouldn't cross.
I can understand that, but why not just lock the thread, tell him so, and leave it at that? The staff aren't moral police too, are they? Edited by YokaiKnight

Begniongeneral, if I get more warns, I'll get suspended, because of something stupid like this.

Also, if I got warned again on the same day, I'd get suspended for 3 days. Yes, 3 days.

Edited by Julius

I'll throw my lot in with Julius, if only because a lot of people do far worse (of course, in my opinion :P) things and get off without anything here. There was no rule against it. People make tons of awful jokes, or jokes "in bad taste" in FFtF and they never seem to get warned. It just seems a little weird is all.

Whenever anybody else complains about the awful, awful Spam in FFtF, where people say moronic things, or nothing at all in their posts, we are told to "not take it that seriously". So why was this taken "that seriously"?

I don't think that warranted a warn. :/

That's just my personal opinion. You can't exactly punish somebody for breaking an "unwritten rule". Sure, you can lash at them for being stupid, but in the end, it's all just your personal morals.

If he had posted somewhere else besides FFtF, I think he'd definitely deserve a warn, but in this case he didn't do something as stupid as that.

Edited by Eltoshen

I'm not saying whether I agree with it or not, but publicly complaining about your warn usually isn't a good way to go about it. Instead, you should PM the one who warned you or just take it and bear it. If you really feel you didn't deserve it, you can probably go a while without getting warned again so that that warn can be erased, right?

Red fox is right. If you have complaints about a warn, use PMs. Also, I stand by this warn. Playing around as if someone's dead is as bad as toying with other member's emotions. It's something you just don't do, and should not have to be written as a rule for you to obey it. We have guidelines here, not rules because we've been trying to treat you guys like adults, but you seem to do nothing but slap us in the face for doing that. In any case, the warn stays. End of discussion.