Swine Flu

Inactive Account

Having had about fifty people from my school (at least two people I know personally) be sent to quarantine for swine flu (and maybe getting it myself) I've decided that all the panic that's going on is insane. Most of the symptoms here have been milder than regular flu.

Now why have people been so panicked over it? Discuss.

So many topics about this.

One of the only reasons this can be a problem is that it can live through the summer, while other flu viruses can't (H1N1 bird flu).

Because it can survive better, it has a better chance to kill and mutate to an even deadlier disease. Maybe one that will be stronger than the bird flu. Thus far, the bird flu (which is a Type A influenza virus IIRC) is the strongest flu we have. We also have -plenty?- of immunizations and antiviral medications to keep it calmed.

Edited by Old Snake

I might have to agree with you. The only people who could seriously die from H1N1 virus are old people and really young children, but there have been some in between who have been considered serious, too.

IIRC the most efficient way to prevent the flu from being prevalent is to wash your hands. Sigh

Why can't people just learn to wash their hands once in a while?

Why can't people just learn to wash their hands once in a while?

People are disgusting creatures, that's why.

Really, though, I think it's hitting young people so much because we're all going back to school. Even without swine flu, people get sick a lot when moving into a place like college, because there's different strains of everything coming in from all over. We freshman can wash our hands all we like, and still some of us will get sick.

But nobody's gotten sick in a particularly panic-worthy way yet.

It is a good point that new strains may evolve, though; those could be worrisome. That doesn't explain the wholesale panic over the current strain, though.

I blame the media for overhyping the disease. At first, it was reported on the news that the CMO for England and Wales said that there were going to be as much as 200,000 deaths due to swine flu. Two months later, he revised that to a much, much lower figure (I can't remember the exact revised figure, but it was significantly less than the initial 200,000 estimate).

Also, this overhyping by the media has reportedly led to people hoarding Tamiflu 'just in case', taking away treatment to those people who really need it.

So yeah, I blame both the media and the UK government's health advisors.

Early into the panic, my mom got the flu. To this day we don't know if it was swine flu or not-- because the doctor was too afraid to get close enough to test her.

I call that an epic fail, courtesy of the OH MY GOSH PANIC media.

Make sure that man loses his job.

It is a good point that new strains may evolve, though; those could be worrisome. That doesn't explain the wholesale panic over the current strain, though.

One of the only reasons this can be a problem is that it can live through the summer, while other flu viruses can't (H1N1 bird flu).

Clearing that up for ya.

For now, there is no reason to panic. This is made especially true because panicking leads to stress. Stress has shown that it leads to damn near every-fucking-thing a lowered immune system response. Which can be harmful in the future. I say they should do all they can in creating an immunization for this, though.

I had the flu and had a fever up to 103.9. But I'm okay now. :]

Yeah, it's like I said before. Swine flu isn't supposed to kill you unless you're in an extreme circumstance (i.e. too old or too young).

Swine flu is like any other flu. It should be treated the same way as any other flu, and I might have to agree with one of the poster above when that poster said that the media's overhyping it.

• 2 weeks later...

Oh right, and those damn vaccines.(MiniMes of H1N1)

I think I'll take my chances with the full blown version rather than running the risk of getting it "twice". Vaccines just don't work for me, and they kind of hurt, what with needles and all. Plus I'd have to pay for it and that's reason enough not to. There's plenty of ways to avoid getting the flu, and I've got a lot of options.

I think I'll take my chances with the full blown version rather than running the risk of getting it "twice". Vaccines just don't work for me, and they kind of hurt, what with needles and all. Plus I'd have to pay for it and that's reason enough not to. There's plenty of ways to avoid getting the flu, and I've got a lot of options.

Do you actually have any clue about how vaccines work? You sound like you don't.

I never cared about the Swine Flu when the media first reported it, and I still don't give a damn about it right now. After having seen how much the media blows things like these out of proportion, I've simply learned to not care anymore. I mean, even if one would happen to catch it, it's not like the death risk would be very high, and if you happen to die from it - well, shit happens. Every year, thousands of people die in completely random household accidents, but does the media ever report those, or does anyone consider their home dangerous because of that? That's right, the answer is "no". It's about the same with the Swine Flu. One can happen to get it, and one can happen to not get it. It's the same like most other illnesses - there are some that you can actually die from, and some of them actually even happen somewhat frequently (e.g. the measles, IIRC). Does anyone give two shits about it? Not really.

So no matter how much it's hyped by the media just to put the wind up people and make them do stupid things, there's hardly anything I could possibly care less about.

Edited by Raymond

Do you actually have any clue about how vaccines work? You sound like you don't.

Of course it does, but caring how you perceive my posts is going to influence me in a bad way, so I don't care.

Vaccines seem to work for a lot of people, which is probably why they're so strongly encouraged, but I still don't want'em.

Pros of Vaccines: It MIGHT... just MIGHT prevent me from getting the serious/real/stronger version of H1N1.

Cons: Needles

Cold shaky doctor hands holding needles

Must pay for it myself

Have to go ALL THE WAY to the clinic to get the NEEDLE

May still get sick, possibly even from the vaccine itself

Vaccines are like fads, I'm not going to do it just because everyone else is

Just don't want to

Of course it does, but caring how you perceive my posts is going to influence me in a bad way, so I don't care.

Vaccines seem to work for a lot of people, which is probably why they're so strongly encouraged, but I still don't want'em.

Pros of Vaccines: It MIGHT... just MIGHT prevent me from getting the serious/real/stronger version of H1N1.

Must pay for it myself

Just don't want to

You're twisting it quite a bit. Needles really aren't that bad at all. Also, you have a much stronger chance to stay healthy after a vaccine shot because you've been exposed to the virus. You wanna know why you feel sick afterward (I'm not exactly sure on this answer, but it's a good guess)? When being exposed to a new disease, your immune system goes through the necessary responses. These responses are what make you feel sick; the disease does not cause a fever, your body does. Therefore, when you get a vaccine shot, your body is going through the routine of protecting you, but the symptoms should fade fairly quickly (because the virus is already dead/controllable amount).

Lol @ vaccines being fads.

Must pay for it myself

Just don't want to

So yeah, you don't know what you're talking about.

I say its all a conspiracy the media make a huge fuss hospitals have to get heaps of vaccine, people buy vaccine and media/medical split earnings 50/50. what do you know their both rich. they just blame it on a new animal every few years it was bird than equine and now pig I vote for sheep next.