Fei Mao

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Most hyped: Uhh.... Sedgar

Least: Wendy

Whoops, looks like I missed that round.

#What? Sedgar is the best unit in Shadow Dragon and everyone knows that.

Wendy isn't a good character. Generals are for tanking. Look at your Wendy's tiny defense.

Most hyped: Uhh.... Sedgar

Least: Wendy

Whoops, looks like I missed that round.

#What? Sedgar is the best unit in Shadow Dragon and everyone knows that.

Wendy isn't a good character. Generals are for tanking. Look at your Wendy's tiny defense.

And people keep saying it too, which is hype.

Most: FE10 Soren. Soren's below average in FE10 (in HM at least) and people make him out to be a god.

Least: Syrene. Pretty much everyone thinks she sucks, and while they aren't completely wrong, she's sort of salavagable.

Edited by -Cynthia-

Nominate Best/Worst magic user.

*prepares for a war between Levin, Yuria and FE5 Sety*

What about Artur[Levin] and Sety[Levin]?

And while Soren(fe9) isn't even in their league, expect him to get votes for best.

Fair enough...

Okay, since people seem to be missing the definition of overrate:

To overrate is to "overestimate the merits of an object/person". In this case, to hold an opinion that a generally bad or mediocre character is very good and/or better than any other character of their type, i.e. Lillina/Nino/etc. Ergo, Sedgar gets BALANCED hype since he is very good. And Wendy gets NEGATIVE hype, yet it is balanced, because she is very bad. NOT because of how often they are mentioned, but because of how good they are.

Now underrated is a synonym to underestimate; basically a good unit that gets little or even no attention. Like Gonzales.

So now that I have that cleared up, can we please make sensible votes now?

That's the core of tanking, though. If you can't take damage efficiently, you can't tank, no matter what other criteria you define and that the unit fulfills.

Going to have to jump on the bandwagon here:

Most Hyped: Lilina

Least Hyped: Eliwood

Um, it says most/least hyped. Nowhere that I read does it say the hype has to be unmerited. As for least hyped, again it just has to be the least hyped unit. This could even by Lyre, as long as nobody has been seen hyping her.

Um, it says most/least hyped. Nowhere that I read does it say the hype has to be unmerited. As for least hyped, again it just has to be the least hyped unit. This could even by Lyre, as long as nobody has been seen hyping her.

You do know that overrate/underrate to overhype/underhype is almost parallel in definition anyway?

Overhype is to promote something in excess.

Overrate is to rate something higher than its worth.

Totally unsimilar, amirite?

You do know that overrate/underrate to overhype/underhype is almost parallel in definition anyway?

Those are different. I mean, really, how do you not see that? For overhyping, the hype can be merited. Overrated means the hype is not merited.

Example: Sedgar is hyped a lot. However, the hype has merit; He really is that good, so he's not overrated. Lilina is hyped a lot. She's not that good, so she is overrated.

And if they had used the word "over", you might be on to something. Unfortunately for you, they didn't. It says "most hyped". Nothing about over. Nothing about too much hype. Nothing about hyping to excess. No, despite what you have apparently read from nowhere, it says "Most/Least" hyped. Where did you get the word "over" from? I love your closing line, considering how flawed your entire argument is.

(And like Red Fox of Fire said, even if they had used the word "over", it isn't technically the same. Thing is, again, they didn't, such is life.)

Edited by Narga_Rocks

Eh... fine. I still have an issue with it, but that won't be for today.

To be perfectly honest, I wonder whether my interpretation is even related to the intent of the person that nominated it. I do wonder what the point would be in identifying the character that receives the most hype if we don't care whether or not it is justified. Also the least hyped simply becomes the least talked about regardless of ability. So I understand wanting it to be more than it is, but the words themselves don't indicate anything more.