World Cup 2010

burning_phoneix

45 members have voted

1. 1. Who do you think will win the World Cup?

• Spain
    • Brazil
    • Netherlands
    • Argentina
    • France
    • Germany
    • England
    • Uruguay
    • Italy
    • Portugal
    • Other (Please mention in post)

I didn't say they played well. I said they played better.

Which, you know, is a comparison. They had more possession of the ball, attacked more and more dangerously.

Of course, they failed exactly where it mattered, but that's how football works.

I'm not an idiot, thank you very much. They didn't play better than the US. Possession and shots mean nothing if the possession and shots are worthless.

Edited by Crystal Shards

• Replies 567
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm not an idiot, thank you very much.

Then make sure your replies show you understood the other poster's point.

They didn't play better than the US. Possession and shots mean nothing if the possession and shots are worthless.

You should be able to remember that US's goal derived from a worthless shot (seriously), while their worthy shots had no results. Like the one Joey mentioned. (Actually, it's the only one I remember.)

Moreover, saying England's shots were worthless would also mean Howard had no work to do. Yet, you say he "handled the pressure quite well." What pressure? England's attacks were no good, after all.

"Playing better" doesn't necessarily mean "scoring more goals," even though they usually go together.

Edited by TheEnd

When England made the first goal at the beginning, I was like "and here we go", but then...nothing else happened. Americans put up a better fight then expected. 1-1, good for USA, not so good for England.

Also, this may be late but lolGreece.

I'm surprised nobody has bought up how pissed Capello looked the whole game. I could imagine him just furiously shouting at the entire team, especially Green Hensky after the game.

Fixed. Worst person on the field since Green saved what I thought was an absolute goal late in the second half. Yeah he made a mistake, but he didn't make constant stupid ones like Hensky.

I loved watching this game. I watched it a pub which was slam packed. It was very interesting because I never thought I'd see such a gathering of American's cheering for USA. When Dempsey scored, the restaurant went wild. I think both teams could've played better. They missed a lot of opportunities, and made a lot of minor errors here and there.

Then make sure your replies show you understood the other poster's point.

You should be able to remember that US's goal derived from a worthless shot (seriously), while their worthy shots had no results. Like the one Joey mentioned. (Actually, it's the only one I remember.)

Moreover, saying England's shots were worthless would also mean Howard had no work to do. Yet, you say he "handled the pressure quite well." What pressure? England's attacks were no good, after all.

"Playing better" doesn't necessarily mean "scoring more goals," even though they usually go together.

Absolutely no reason to be a dick.

Anyway, a shot is a shot, and it's pressure for anyone. I was a goalkeeper, I know. Even if the shots themselves went straight to Howard, it's still pressure. Besides, their attacks, overall, were no good. That doesn't mean there wasn't one or two decent shots.

To each his or her own I guess.

Edited by Crystal Shards

Very late; but if Green hadn't made that epic save in the second half US woulda scored anyway. If you have Joe Satisfactory in goal, 1-1 regardless, and the US deserved better really. It was also great because I never thought I'd hear myself say "I hope the US smash in a couple more goals, for Green's sake." England were rubbish, and I hope Algeria relive... that tournament where they got 2 wins in the first round (but still were knocked out. I think it was in the 80's. Other teams were Austria, W Germany and...someone else.)

Heh, Greece.

Argentina vs. Nigeria was a stunning game. Loved how Maradona juggled the ball to throw-in takers.

Edited by Furetchen Arrowroot

Very late; but if Green hadn't made that epic save in the second half US woulda scored anyway. If you have Joe Satisfactory in goal, 1-1 regardless, and the US deserved better really. It was also great because I never thought I'd hear myself say "I hope the US smash in a couple more goals, for Green's sake." England were rubbish, and I hope Algeria relive... that tournament where they got 2 wins in the first round (but still were knocked out. I think it was in the 80's. Other teams were Austria, W Germany and...someone else.)

Heh, Greece.

Argentina vs. Nigeria was a stunning game. Loved how Maradona juggled the ball to throw-in takers.

I agree. And the other team was Chile. It was 1982. They beat Chile and West Germany but lost to Austria. It was actually the goal difference that made it so they didn't advance; they were tied points with Austria and West Germany points-wise.

Absolutely no reason to be a dick.

Consider it an advice.

To each his or her own I guess.

Not really.

But I see where this is going, so.

Very late; but if Green hadn't made that epic save in the second half US woulda scored anyway.

The way I see it, Green's "epic save" was almost a failure; the post saved him.

Unless we're talking about something else.

Consider it an advice.

I don't need advice from assholes. Thanks for the offer though. And yeah, it really is to each his or her own.

Anyway, I hope Algeria wins but I'm not expecting anything above a tie. I also hope that Serbia wins today. I think that'll be a good game either way though. Normally I'd say Germany should beat Australia with relative ease, but I saw Bayern Munich (where most of the German national team players come from, if I remember correctly) vs. Inter Milan and it wasn't their greatest of games, and of course Ballack is injured, which affects their midfield pretty heavily. Still, Australia isn't that great of a team. I still say Germany will win but we'll see.

Edited by Crystal Shards

The way I see it, Green's "epic save" was almost a failure; the post saved him.

Yeah...were there no post, it would've been a corner. On account of there being no goddamn post to guide the ball into the net.

Don't expect much of Australia. Expect far less of New Zealand.

Well, Australia aren't so much cannon fodder as an ancient, boring team that relies too much on a striker for whom a broken tooth is a career-ending injury, with an unimaginative arrogant coach dragging on Hiddink's coattails, but will grind out results by not conceding and waiting for Cahill to do things. It depends on how good Serbia is, how well Germany cope, and how climate affects the teams that aren't Ghana.

And these guys pretty much always beat the (insert sheep joke here)s.

To me, Serbia looked like the better team, but now they're unlikely to advance because they have to beat Germany and Australia.Also, I filled in a bracket. I forgot about this at first, so I have a bit of an advantage.

bracket.jpg?t=1276450107

Edited by Core

Okay, how was the person who doubted Germany? They're looking better than Argentina IMO! 2 goals up at half time to Australia and they missed some huge sitters as well! It could have been 5-0 by half time.

Who would expect Germany, the disciplined organized team, to provide the goals and entertainment in this world cup?

Who would expect Germany, the disciplined organized team, to provide the goals and entertainment in this world cup?

I sure as hell didn't, and was pleasantly surprised.

Best game so far.

The match isn't over yet but at 70 minutes Germany is 4-0 up.

I would just like to thank the germans. Thank you for livening up the cup after the borefests Algeria-Slovenia, Uruguay-France, England-USA and Serbia-Ghana. Thank you so much.

Also thanks Australia. Even though you've been defeated by quite some margin, you put up a good fight and had some decent attacking moves. Thank you.

I sure as hell didn't, and was pleasantly surprised.

Best game so far.

Same here.It's looking like 2002 with those large results.