World Cup 2010

burning_phoneix

45 members have voted

1. 1. Who do you think will win the World Cup?

• Spain
    • Brazil
    • Netherlands
    • Argentina
    • France
    • Germany
    • England
    • Uruguay
    • Italy
    • Portugal
    • Other (Please mention in post)

• Replies 567
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The match isn't over yet but at 70 minutes Germany is 4-0 up.

I would just like to thank the germans. Thank you for livening up the cup after the borefests Algeria-Slovenia, Uruguay-France, England-USA and Serbia-Ghana. Thank you so much.

Also thanks Australia. Even though you've been defeated by quite some margin, you put up a good fight and had some decent attacking moves. Thank you.

That match ended when Germany scored 4-0, really.

Those sneaky german bastards are using the old "don't shoot at straight at the goalie" trick. Damn huns! That's not honorable football :angry:

THOSE BARBARIANS

PLAY LIKE MEN, LIKE ENGLAND DID

Okay, how was the person who doubted Germany? They're looking better than Argentina IMO! 2 goals up at half time to Australia and they missed some huge sitters as well! It could have been 5-0 by half time.

Who would expect Germany, the disciplined organized team, to provide the goals and entertainment in this world cup?

It was me, because of the way Bayern Munich played against Inter Milan (most of the German team comes from BM), but after witnessing that...

Mueller (Ballack's replacement) I think did okay for an opening match. I mean he's got huge shoes to fill. But now the coaches should know where they need to direct him so that he can... well... be better. Lahm did a good job as captain.

But what the fuck was up with that red card? I was watching German TV and even we were like, um... What?

The Ballack replacement is Khedira. Mueller is right back and he was fucking awesome.

But what the fuck was up with that red card? I was watching German TV and even we were like, um... What?

Illegal very late tackle from behind using his knees. Yeah, Red is justified on that one.

It was me, because of the way Bayern Munich played against Inter Milan (most of the German team comes from BM), but after witnessing that...

Mueller (Ballack's replacement) I think did okay for an opening match.

Inter played better from beggining to end. There's nothing more to it.

Müller was the fucking gamebreaker, what are you saying! Although yeah, Khedira was a lamer. If he had an ounce of talent more, it could easily be more than 5-0.

Also Ozil played well, buuut wasted too many shots.

The Ballack replacement is Khedira. Mueller is right back and he was fucking awesome.

Oh, I thought Mueller was the replacement since he got the number. I thought he did alright but needs a little more control when it comes to approaching the goal.

Illegal very late tackle from behind using his knees. Yeah, Red is justified on that one.

Honestly that didn't look like a red to me, at least from the angles I saw. That looked like a yellow tops. But I guess we'll see what the papers say on that.

Inter played better from beggining to end. There's nothing more to it.

I know Inter played better. BM sucked that game. Hence me being worried.

Müller was the fucking gamebreaker, what are you saying! Although yeah, Khedira was a lamer. If he had an ounce of talent more, it could easily be more than 5-0.

Also Ozil played well, buuut wasted too many shots.

I agree on Ozil but I dunno that I'd say Mueller was the gamebreaker.

Edited by Crystal Shards

Honestly that didn't look like a red to me, at least from the angles I saw. That looked like a yellow tops. But I guess we'll see what the papers say on that.

FIFA's rules > papers.

Either way, it seems even he felt that was a bit too extreme, since he refrained from giving another red card to a guy who already had a yellow.

And Australia was going to lose anyway, so it didn't really change much.

FIFA's rules > papers.

Either way, it seems even he felt that was a bit too extreme, since he refrained from giving another red card to a guy who already had a yellow.

And Australia was going to lose anyway, so it didn't really change much.

Yeah I know FIFA's rules > papers but oftentimes the papers give interesting viewpoints on whether FIFA's rules were enforced properly. And yeah, I mean Australia seems to have been doomed before they even walked on the pitch and they were already down several points, so it wasn't like it broke them.

I agree on Ozil but I dunno that I'd say Mueller was the gamebreaker.

Müller took part in the second goal and scored the third one. He had most of the creativity in that game, IMO.

Who would expect Germany, the disciplined organized team, to provide the goals and entertainment in this world cup?

Um. I did, because teams don't really try that hard to conform to stereotypes.

We needed that loss though. Maybe we can learn from our massive failure and play better next time.It was inevitable that someone would slaughter us, it's just that I thought it'd be Ghana.

Galipoli?

Anyhow, just posting to say, hilarious howler. And the Germans are whiners, don't let them win.

I'm sorry, but we had Lucas Neill in defence! There's only so much we can do with effectively a 2.5-man back line!

As for the paper's view on that tackle by Cahill:

Many will cite the fact that he tried to pull out of the challenge' date=' but Cahill still came in late and hit the Germany midfielder above the ankle.[/quote']

http://www.goal.com/en/news/1863/world-cup-2010/2010/06/13/1973410/finished-world-cup-2010-player-ratings-germany-4-0-australia

They were aided by the harsh dismissal of Australia's key man Tim Cahill' date=' given a straight red card for a clumsy but hardly malevolent challenge on Bastian Schweinsteiger on 55 minutes.[/quote']

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport2/hi/football/world_cup_2010/matches/match_08/default.stm

It was also a night that was laced with controversy. Ten minutes into the second half the Australia midfielder Tim Cahill lunged in to try to take the ball from Bastian Schweinsteiger. The tackle was poorly timed and the German went down in a heap but there was audible disbelief in the stadium when the Mexican referee' date=' Marco Rodríguez, showed a red card. Cahill's fate will be considered by a Fifa disciplinary committee and he could conceivably be suspended for two games, if the panel finds him guilty of reckless play. On the evidence of this Australian performance that could mean his World Cup is over.[/quote']

http://www.guardian.co.uk/football/2010/jun/13/germany-australia-world-cup-match-report

Didn't deserve red card.

http://www.skysports.com/football/user_ratings/0,19768,11065_3222272,00.html

So some indecision it seems from the papers though I believe that the referee was right to send him off.

Anyway, HOLLAND V Denmark on the way today! Can't wait to see how the Oranje start this tournament!

Edited by burning_phoneix

Yeah, there's, like, our only offensive player who was both young AND competent. Gone. Fuck.

I didn't catch Serbia vs Ghana, it'll be interesting to see how we cope. (I hope we don't pull a Saudi Arabia)

I agree with the BBC's and Skyspot's portrayal of things, but I may be biased because I'm not a fan of Schweinsteiger. It was clumsy, and deserved a yellow, but to me a red card is malicious or incredibly, incredibly stupid. The foul was neither. But that's just me.

Oh gods. (Netherlands/Denmark game)

That might take some of the pressure off Green. Still, Kuyt was gonna smash it in anyway, from what I saw when I rushed in to see the replay

The last 20 minutes or so were great. The rest of the match was disappointing, to be frank, and Van Persie in particular.

I vote Elia or Van Bommel to be man of the match. Or Poulssen, depends on how you look at it. :D

Elia was the best, he and Iffayel spiced a drab match up. Persie and VDV were woeful really.

Yeah, there's, like, our only offensive player who was both young AND competent. Gone. Fuck.

I didn't catch Serbia vs Ghana, it'll be interesting to see how we cope. (I hope we don't pull a Saudi Arabia)

Trust me, Germany are by far much better than both though Ghana are the more dangerous of the two.

And cheer up, you still have Josh Kennedy! :awesome:

Japan is one goal ahead of Cameroon right now slightly against the run of play but this is shaping up to be a drab match like most of this tournament.

Also, Eto is on the right wing because Cameroon managers really like experimenting with him much to the chagrin of sane people.

Paraguay is ahead of Italy! I doubt there were many people here - including me - who expected that.

Great match so far, in my view.