World Cup 2010

burning_phoneix

45 members have voted

1. 1. Who do you think will win the World Cup?

• Spain
    • Brazil
    • Netherlands
    • Argentina
    • France
    • Germany
    • England
    • Uruguay
    • Italy
    • Portugal
    • Other (Please mention in post)

So does anybody think we'll ever see any of those North Korean players again before Kim Jong Il disappears them?

• Replies 567
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I really liked the second round of matches, we've seen some good goals and not just 1-0s or curbstomps like the 2-2 USA Slovenia game.

And not even all 1-0s are created equal. Chile's 1-0 win over the Swiss was very entertaining.

I wish I had seen the whole Portugal-North Korea game. That was a total curbstomp! 7-0? The harshest one in the cup so far. And yes I feel sorry for the NK players for other reasons. >_>

And Spain bring in the win with 2-0 against Honduras. Nice after their embarrassing match with Switzerland.

Nah but I'm sure the media won't be too kind, if the games are even reported. For all we know, the North Koreans don't even know there is a World Cup, or that their team qualified.

The Spain-Honduras game wasn't bad. I lol'd when they missed the penalty though. Can't bitch about Podolski anymore.

I wish I had seen the whole Portugal-North Korea game. That was a total curbstomp! 7-0? The harshest one in the cup so far. And yes I feel sorry for the NK players for other reasons. >_>

Keep in mind that the game was also broadcast live on North Korean television.

Nah but I'm sure the media won't be too kind, if the games are even reported. For all we know, the North Koreans don't even know there is a World Cup, or that their team qualified.

The Spain-Honduras game wasn't bad. I lol'd when they missed the penalty though. Can't bitch about Podolski anymore.

Trust me. They know what the world cup is and they know they qualified. Also, the stories of the Korean fans being paid chinese actors is a little off as well

http://www.bigsoccer.com/forum/blog.php?b=9148&page=5#comments

The "Chinese actors" deal came about when the DPRK sold the Chinese - who of course don't have a team in the tournament and thus don't have a big pile of tickets - 1400 or so seats at North Koreas' matches.

Some Chinese fans glommed onto the deal' date=' but are on their own dime in RSA.

What apparently happened to get the story a bit tangled up was that the Chinese fans told people that they were there supporting North Koreas' team, but it was entirely because North Korea is a neighbor, a fellow Asian Confederation team and a "freind" (of sorts).

Plus, they said, it seemed to them that since the tickets came from North Korea originally it would be impolite to do anything else. So they wave flags and cheer on the boys in red. Call it being scrupulously polite. And anyway, who else are the ChiComs going to root for - Slovenia?

It now appears that some Western reporters took this story and embellished it a bit, kind of like an Italian forward.[/quote']

BUT YOU STILL NEED TO BITCH ABOUT PODOLSKI! It's written that when germans miss penalties the end of the world is nigh! :(

Edited by burning_phoneix

Looks like France and, unfortunately, South Africa are out. France being out of the cup isn't that big a deal to me, though. They played way below my expectations.

You know what I hope? That Chile and Spain tie their next match, and that Switzerland beats Honduras, even if just for kicks.

Someone missed World Cup 2002 apparently...

Yeah. At least France managed to score once this time. And, for the record, I'm switching my allegiances to Argentina. I want Maradona to lift the Cup again while flipping off Sepp Blatter.

(Anyone else think of Nigeria as Africa's Spain?)

That, was the most epic goal ever. Not only was it last minute but the way it was setup was epic in itself.

I'm having a tough time deciding which is more epic: The 7-0 Portugal roflstomp or this goal that USA made last minute to advance.

No offence, but I don't see America going past the next round. They'll be knocked out by Germany or something. England, however, are looking like what made them close to being the favourites to win this world cup again. With Rooney and Gerrard linking up nicely and Upson and Terry being very committed brick walls at the back, our offence and defence seems sorted, now just to get the final touch perfected...

Edited by Kirsche

You believe all that because England scored a goal on Slovenia?

No because England beat Slovenia, plus from what I saw the England team was barely recognisable compared to the last two games.

No because England beat Slovenia, plus from what I saw the England team was barely recognisable compared to the last two games.

Yeah, so did the USA (three times actually--I count that goal, dammit), and they've actually played consistently well. So... How is England a favorite? I'm not saying the USA is gonna win the World Cup but there's really no way England is a favorite again.

Edited by Crystal Shards

Yeah, so did the USA (three times actually--I count that goal, dammit), and they've actually played consistently well. So... How is England a favorite? I'm not saying the USA is gonna win the World Cup but there's really no way England is a favorite again.

Well for those who managed to stay in touch with reality, they never were, but the optimists they have seen what England can do, which somehow equals the world cup.

Fun Fact: I said Beat meaning won, not beat meaning score a goal :awesome: