World Cup 2010

burning_phoneix

45 members have voted

1. 1. Who do you think will win the World Cup?

• Spain
    • Brazil
    • Netherlands
    • Argentina
    • France
    • Germany
    • England
    • Uruguay
    • Italy
    • Portugal
    • Other (Please mention in post)

Germany will be a tuffer match for Argentina, I hope.

I don't want either Brazil or Argentina to win this damn Cup

• Replies 567
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Wow, this world cup has turned out to be the worst ever. Very few good games and my own team failing so abysmally that I am ashamed to call myself english. I can also take confort in teh fact that due to the aging trend of the england players that we have no hope for the next 4-8 years of winning any cups. Hooray.

Goddammit Slovakia. Not only they managed to score at the last minute, but the goalkeeper got a yellow card.

Okay, but even then it's a red. It was an obvious goal scoring opportunity. He was the defender. He committed a pretty serious foul. Still a red card by that logic.

Dempsey was too far out to the right and he even kicked the ball ahead of him to make space before he was tackled. "Obvious" means he has to be bearing down on goal with an almost sure probability of scoring.

Germany vs Argentina though? I'm wet with pre-cum just thinking about that! :newyears:

Wow, this world cup has turned out to be the worst ever. Very few good games and my own team failing so abysmally that I am ashamed to call myself english. I can also take confort in teh fact that due to the aging trend of the england players that we have no hope for the next 4-8 years of winning any cups. Hooray.

I'm actually enjoying this way more than WC2006 and 2002. HUGE upsets and goals started pouring in after the dismal first round of matches.

Dempsey was too far out to the right and he even kicked the ball ahead of him to make space before he was tackled. "Obvious" means he has to be bearing down on goal with an almost sure probability of scoring.

Still looked like a pretty obvious goal scoring opportunity to me with that definition. Even if it wasn't, he was tackled without the ball. Still deserved a red card.

I'm actually enjoying this way more than WC2006 and 2002. HUGE upsets and goals started pouring in after the dismal first round of matches.

I would be more excited of these "huge" upsets if most of them weren't propagated by horrible reffing. This is most definitely NOT better than 2002 or especially 2006.

Edited by Crystal Shards

Still looked like a pretty obvious goal scoring opportunity to me with that definition. Even if it wasn't, he was tackled without the ball. Still deserved a red card.

Of course he was tackled without the ball, that's why it was a penalty. There were other defenders in the area and Dempsey was too far out right. The yellow was correct decision.

I would be more excited of these "huge" upsets if most of them weren't propagated by horrible reffing. This is most definitely NOT better than 2002 or especially 2006.

So USA drawing England was propagated by horrible reffing? Ghana beating Serbia? Slovakia defeating Italy? Switzerland defeating Spain?

The games have had horrible reffing mistakes but I only recall two matches where the deserved victors lost due to incorrect refeering decisions: America drawing with Slovenia and Germany losing to Serbia.

Of course, Those World Cups were completely free of controversy, right? (Korea beating both Italy and Spain through ref's decisions, Australia going out due to a dive...etc)

Don't be silly. Germany bossed the game from beginning to end. You don't concede 4 goals and then say "We could have won that one"

Specially when Terry constantly fucks up and gives the Germans a number of chances to score, or do something.

So USA drawing England was propagated by horrible reffing? Ghana beating Serbia? Slovakia defeating Italy? Switzerland defeating Spain?

Not an upset (and definitely not surprising), not huge, perhaps, and not huge (or surprising, considering Switzerland has the record for longest period of time in WC play without being scored upon).

EDIT: And actually now that I think about it, there were more than a few murmurs about shitty reffing in the Ghana-Serbia game. I think I fell asleep during it, but it wasn't just Serbians complaining. So perhaps the refs helped with that, yes.

Of course, Those World Cups were completely free of controversy, right? (Korea beating both Italy and Spain through ref's decisions, Australia going out due to a dive...etc)

Who said anything about them being free of controversy? No World Cup has been without it. But counting all the refs' mistakes in this one... and well, I haven't seen reffing this bad, at least consistently, in a tournament. Sorry if that doesn't click with your opinion.

Edited by Crystal Shards

Don't be silly. Germany bossed the game from beginning to end. You don't concede 4 goals and then say "We could have won that one"

Well the third and fourth goal came from counter attacks from the German area so if England drew level then their defenders wouldn't have roamed up quite so far, it could've been a completely different game.

Although Germany were still going to win given how poorly England's defence was playing and their history when it comes to penalties.

You were watching 2006, yeah? I'll take a boring group stage with some nice upsets and an as of yet interesting knockout stage...over an interesting group stage with predictable results which then bogged down in the knockout stages. Then there's 1990. Everything about 1990. If that's the only way Ireland gets into the quarters I dunno if I even want them to.

Anyways, looking forward to seeing Argentina kill everything. And England have been crap since ... forever. Even when the team's actually any good the media kicks them in the gonads anyway.

You do if all the other teams goals came after your second goal was disallowed. I'm not going to claim they would have won, but honestly, the flow of the game would have been very different. Not only would morale be different, but England would have been playing Defense because of their lead, instead of being forced to take the offensive, which could very well have prevented them from being scored on.

You do if all the other teams goals came after your second goal was disallowed. I'm not going to claim they would have won, but honestly, the flow of the game would have been very different. Not only would morale be different, but England would have been playing Defense because of their lead, instead of being forced to take the offensive, which could very well have prevented them from being scored on.

They wouldn't have been leading. That goal would have tied things up. It was 2-0 before England even scored their first goal. And well, if that would have happened, it's not like England has a great history of penalties.

Edited by Crystal Shards

Not an upset (and definitely not surprising), not huge, perhaps, and not huge (or surprising, considering Switzerland has the record for longest period of time in WC play without being scored upon).

So the fact that this world cup is the first one where UEFA teams are outnumbered means little to you? A lot of unfancied teams made it into the knockout stages which for me makes for a really interesting World Cup that has been (first round notwithstanding) rewarding attacking football over defending football. Teams like Italy and Switzerland are out while attack minded teams like the South American nations, Germany, The Netherlands and the United States have all made it through which is

Who said anything about them being free of controversy? No World Cup has been without it. But counting all the refs' mistakes in this one... and well, I haven't seen reffing this bad, at least consistently, in a tournament. Sorry if that doesn't click with your opinion.

Can't remember when Italy had five perfectly good goals disallowed in World Cup 2002 in three straight games? Or when South Korea reached the Semis through the good graces of the referees. Or 2006 when Ukraine went to the second round through a penalty awarded for a Shevncheko dive against Tunisia (the refs also managed to miss a blatant handball by Ukraine inside their own penalty box, negating a deserved Tunisian goal).

Who can also forget when Graham Poll handed out 3 yellow cards to the same player?

At the very least the officiating in this world cup didn't cost any teams too dearly like going out in the first round for example.

So the fact that this world cup is the first one where UEFA teams are outnumbered means little to you? A lot of unfancied teams made it into the knockout stages which for me makes for a really interesting World Cup that has been (first round notwithstanding) rewarding attacking football over defending football. Teams like Italy and Switzerland are out while attack minded teams like the South American nations, Germany, The Netherlands and the United States have all made it through which is

No, it doesn't mean anything to me, actually. Who are the favorites? Brazil, Argentina, Germany, etc. Unless Japan or someone has a secret they've been hiding specifically for the knockout stages. That's the luck of the draw sometimes. The only team I would say is a potential favorite that isn't one of the typical ones is Ghana, and even then their chances are slim. I mean the only (well maybe not ONLY) reason England is out is because they happened to have to go against Germany, which isn't a typical round of 16 match. Oh well.

Can't remember when Italy had five perfectly good goals disallowed in World Cup 2002 in three straight games? Or when South Korea reached the Semis through the good graces of the referees. Or 2006 when Ukraine went to the second round through a penalty awarded for a Shevncheko dive against Tunisia (the refs also managed to miss a blatant handball by Ukraine inside their own penalty box, negating a deserved Tunisian goal).

Who can also forget when Graham Poll handed out 3 yellow cards to the same player?

At the very least the officiating in this world cup didn't cost any teams too dearly like going out in the first round for example.

No, I don't remember 2002, as I was in like 8th grade and living in a country that didn't really give a shit about football at the time, so it wasn't on television. And a lot of the stuff you're describing doesn't sound that much different from what is going on now, so I don't know why you're getting all uppity, lol.

Edited by Crystal Shards

No, I don't remember 2002, as I was in like 8th grade and living in a country that didn't really give a shit about football at the time, so it wasn't on television.

Then you can't really say that 2002 was better than this cup (really, it's hard to top 2k2 when it come to shitty refs causing upsets).

Then you can't really say that 2002 was better than this cup (really, it's hard to top 2k2 when it come to shitty refs causing upsets).

If I said as much, then I misspoke. Sorry.

Edited by Crystal Shards