Blademaster's gallery

Blademaster!

I was surprised to find that it appears I never made a gallery here. Whatever, most of my work is crap anyway. This is gallery has most (if not all of the mugs) I have ever made, along with some maps. Most of it is stuff I made... 3-4 years ago, and I never really practiced spriting so I have never really gotten any better.

shanamftt4.png

gashilamafgo0.pnglehran2tp6.png

sleufffe7.pngamaldafqj8.png

bartsfjn7.pngshananf.png

charactersheet1.pngprolougemap.gif

screenhunter01oct312037.gifcharactersheet3.png

charactersheet12.pngchapter2.gif

comparisonw.pngcharactersheet4.png

chapter3.gifcharactersheet5.png

chapter4.gifscreenhunter02feb072341.gif

astreacomparison.png

This last one is what I am currently working on. I'm trying to think of which facial position is the best. It's still a WIP obviously.

And I obviously didn't make the Ninian sprite. It just happens to be in a group image.

Feel free to make fun of everything as much as you want. And if by some odd change you want to use some mug I have made, feel free to do so unless stated otherwise.

I've got a quirk about your maps, they are way too cut and dry. Square, without much variation, makes them look boring IMO. Check out some normal FE maps as a ref, should help spice up your maps.

For me it's how..perfect they are. Like not technically, but everything is just edged off and in perfect shape...no personality! I'm no mapper, but that's what I dislike looking at the maps :P.

I think it kind of works for the desert one though, oddly enough.

For the most recent splice, you might want to choose another face to work with. Echidna and Eirika's faces are on two different angles, so they aren't going to work well together.

I was thinking the same thing, which is why I had the four different versions. This is more of what I final product looked like:

demo1l.png

(NOTE: I thought the odd colored hair one looked interesting at the time I made it, and I was unsure about which of the two I like more.)

I kinda want to add more to this mug, but I'm trying to keep it looking similar too Erika's prototype sprite. I also want to add some kind of hair design to her since it looks a bit dull in my opinion atm. The right shoulder pad is also likely too large, our poorly angled. I should probably give it different eyes though, or maybe change the nose. Even still, part of me likes the unique look it gives off.

I've got a quirk about your maps, they are way too cut and dry. Square, without much variation, makes them look boring IMO. Check out some normal FE maps as a ref, should help spice up your maps.

So they need more... obstacles? Most of these maps are based off of FE4 maps (from an old hack of mine), and for the three that aren't (desert, swamp, and the one next to the swamp), The desert one seems pretty decent compared to something like the FE7 one, and the FE6 and FE8 ones are much larger than mine. The swamp one just doesn't have much to work with though as it has a small tileset (It's like a worse version of an indoor map with more interesting background stuff that adds an aesthetic look). The one next to the swamp on does look pretty dull though. But it was designed as an early chapter, and most early chapters don't have much substance to them.

For me it's how..perfect they are. Like not technically, but everything is just edged off and in perfect shape...no personality! I'm no mapper, but that's what I dislike looking at the maps :P.

Aren't all FE maps like that though (Assuming I know what you are talking about. I don't fully understand, but it has to do with how I shape things like... mountains or grass patches yes?)? And even then, is that really all that bad?

Edited by Blademaster!

I guess I mean it just doesn't look organic to me, it looks manufactured. Lemme use an example from FE7 to explain my opinion:

RnK25H.gif

In this map things look a lot more organic; the southwest part of the map has a heavily forested area like some of yours, but it doesn't have them cut into big, perfect shapes. This one in particular looks a little ridiculous to me, especially the northeast tree cluster on a perfect 90 degree angle:

chapter4.gif

Maybe I am the only one who has a problem with this, I dunno. It just looks unrealistic to me for such a large amount of tree tiles to be in cookie cutter shape like that. The landscape kind of does this too.

I guess I mean it just doesn't look organic to me, it looks manufactured. Lemme use an example from FE7 to explain my opinion:

RnK25H.gif

In this map things look a lot more organic; the southwest part of the map has a heavily forested area like some of yours, but it doesn't have them cut into big, perfect shapes. This one in particular looks a little ridiculous to me, especially the northeast tree cluster on a perfect 90 degree angle:

chapter4.gif

Maybe I am the only one who has a problem with this, I dunno. It just looks unrealistic to me for such a large amount of tree tiles to be in cookie cutter shape like that. The landscape kind of does this too.

Ah, I see what you mean now. That makes sense.

You mention that you're basing these on FE4 maps, but, FE4 was horrid when it came to forests. You really should be referencing FE6/7/8 for GBA maps.

I mean that they were meant to be recreations of said maps from FE4. But obviously my experience with such maps must have rubbed off on me in that way. I also imagine forests as being clustered together. It's not like you would normally go out and see forest not very clustered together.

And after finishing looking at every map in FE6-8, the only ones that come close to being more like real forests are these ones, but even they don't follow such patterns:

Chapter18A.pngChapter21.png

20.png

And I have to say, FE8's maps suck. FE6's are all amazing though.

chapter4opinion.gif

Red: Needs more variation on the grass (Optional), but what's the justification for the sand? It's just... there in a big chunk.

Pink: Forest tiles on the edges are meant for inside. And the random other trees you put in aren't... fitting. Hmm... what map is good as an example... I think that Chapter where you fight Uhai would be a good example (the one with the Fog of War) of when you're supposed to use those tree tiles. It goes into the bottom right edge of the map, where the forest is setting the pattern of it getting thicker.

Green: Err... Not really any justification for it. That like a border customs or something where they have to have so many forts?

Purple: Too rectangular for a pattern. Usually Mountain tiles are arranged along the edge of the map, or along the edge of peaks. Then again, there are exceptions such as the chapter in Lyn mode where you get Erk and Serra, but they're not bunched up together in a huge rectangle.

Gray: Grass shading needs more irregularity.

Orange: ...That path doesn't make sense. If you want it to go to the right, seemingly going off-map, fix the tiles in the middle to not have the "green" grass blending while in the middle of the road tiles. From what I've seen, if you want to make a "degraded" road, use FE6 as a reference and mix some sand tiles here and there.

Behold! My latest works! They are all for my new hack, so comments and critiques would be greatly appreciated! And as such, know that nothing is in a final form as of yet.

010203scrn.png

This is the prologue map. It is meant to take place out side of one of "The Guild's" (For those who don't know, in my new hack "The Guild" is a secret group in Merc that acted as a secret police/government) many hideouts that are hidden across Merc. The hole in the mountain is meant to be the entrance to the hideout, and the lake is supposed to be a nearby body of water used as a water source. The destroyed village is there to show how Merc has been affected by the 10 years of constant war, and show that people are no longer able to safely build homes, and are forced to live in caves, as such is at the moment more functional and conservative.

The main purpose of the first map is meant to be a training session, hence the reason why the sand in the map is made to be shaped like some kind of arena. It is a man made area.

showcase1.png

As of this moment, these are the characters who will be showing up in the first chapter. I may add one or two more in, but they would not be playable during the chapter.

From top left row, down the row, and then the next row:

[1][5][7]

[2][6]

[3]

[4]

[1]: The main character of the hack, Astrea. She holds the new class (uses Erika's battle animation though) Fencer. She is meant to be about 23 years old.

Things I think I should fix: Armor and armor design. Palette may be a bit awkward.

[2]: Ulysses, a journeyman(this isn't a traine class anymore, and is instead like the fighters of FE5 aka a axe wielding mercenary). He is meant to be about 25.

Things I think I should fix: Left eye. Left shoulder/arm. May be some shading problems.

[3]: Katherine, a myrmidon. She's supposed to be Nick and Kat's daughter from the previous hack (Essentially the daughter of Noah and Fir). She uses Noah's hair color, but Fir's skin color, clothing color, and eyes. She is supposed to be about 17.

Things I think I should fix: Hair should be made to look less like Karel's maybe. Eye should probably be looking more towards the other direction it's currently in. Shading problems in clothes.

[4]: Jorwell, a priest. He is supposed to be a doctor, but since there is no doctor class... He is supposed to be about 24.

Things I think I should fix: ...A lot.

[5]: Nerid, a hero. She is meant to be the daughter of Froid and Erika (Essentially Dart and Echidna). She uses Echidna's hair and face, along with hair color since Dart doesn't really have hair. She has Dart's skin color though. Meant to be about 27.

Things I think I should fix: Nothing really. Looks pretty good. Best one here IMO.

[6]: Alice, a master knight (Erika's mounted class). She is supposed to be Astrea's mother. About 48 years old.

Things I think I should fix: Nothing really. Doesn't look perfect, but I can't think of anything.

[7]: Sol, a mercenary. He is meant to be 26 years old.

Things I should fix: Hair and eyes. He still looks to similar to Ephraim and Hugh.

The biggest problem with the new map is that it is far too symmetrical. Since you've got a reason for the symmetric sand, I can partially let that slide (though, in all honesty, even if it was man-made, it would still have variances in it and would almost never be perfect). However, the positions of the trees, the lake's dimensions, the path extending from the arena, etc. are all far too square and exact. You say that this is a hideout for a secret group, so I would think that you would want the area to look as inconspicuous as possible, furthering the need to have surroundings that don't look altered by man.

• 3 months later...

Update. Yay...

showcase11.png

showcase12.png

showcase13.png

showcase21.png

showcase3.png

showcase31.png

showcase5.png

I plan on reworking on a bunch of these mugs to make them look (hopefully) better (like Nicole). The ones I currently plan on doing major overhauls on are Clea, Dexithea, Sol, Relina, and the Rennac looking one. I'd like to do a major overhaul on Astrea (since she's the protagonist of my hack) but I can't think of anything...

mapscrn.png

I feel like this map may be a bit to empty.

mapscrn.png

Same with this one. And I wish the castle tiles matched up with the map better...

mapscrn.png

I wanted an indoor "shrine" like chapter with this tile set, and this was the result. Feels kinda small. I don't know what else to really add since indoor chapters generally seem kinda empty (maybe?).

mapscrn.png

I drew inspiration from my favorite chapter of FE8 for this one: Chapter 19. Only this time, it isn't a defense chapter. I have some interesting plans for this chapter actually...

Yeah...

For your maps:

Grass doesn't grow in a square shape. Unfortunately all of your light grass is very square and has straight lines. Try smoothing it out, there are plenty of tiles to help you do so.

Those mountains lack a smooth transition from light to shadow. You should be using those rounded peak tiles for that.

Your indoor maps are still missing lots of shading. Walls and chests should be shaded on both the bottom and right-hand sides. The pillars on the last map just look weird. They should only be two tiles, the actual pillar and the base. They also need shading on the right-hand side.

The third map has some weird floor tiles going on. You're using shaded tiles where there's nothing to be shaded and it looks funky. The same can be said for the lower outer wall. And that entry way is a bit messy.

I'm not really in a position to critique portraits so I'll let more experienced people do that.

Grass doesn't grow in a square shape. Unfortunately all of your light grass is very square and has straight lines. Try smoothing it out, there are plenty of tiles to help you do so.

I find it odd that straight lines aren't smooth but okay...

Is this any better?

mapscrn.png

map2scrn.png

map2scrn.png

map2scrn.png

Rounding it out may have been a better choice of words. Grass that has been rounded out gives a smoother, more natural transition from lighter grass to darker grass. Either way it looks a lot better.

Map 1: Some of the shadowed parts at the top are cut off because they don't have a cap. The peaks running vertically aren't aligned well and some of those are cut off too.

Map 2: Seems fine, though that green shading around the castle looks really odd. I suspect that's the tileset's fault though.

Map 3: Perhaps you should stick with a single circle design in the middle of the entry way. It looks even messier now IMO. And those side rooms are kind of empty. Chests also need shading on the bottom part where applicable.

Map 4: Many of your pillars need shading. Also, having an all carpet throne room doesn't look too good. This is because there aren't any carpet tiles with shading on them in existence, giving the room a flat look. I suggest having at least a one tile border using stone tiles around the carpet.

Some of them are quiet good, while some of the others aren't. The head doesn't fit he 3rd one, the 4th's chin is weirdblink.gif, and with the 5th I've found that Valter is very hard to splice while making it look good, the bottom of the hair isn't consistent with the top.

I thought the fourth one had a weird chin too at first, but then I realized that isn't his chin, its the trim on the mask/face guard thing. I think what makes it look weird is that its the only place where the trim isn't colored the same as the armor, and its the only trim on the helmet.

• 3 weeks later...

Here's the rough draft version of the "new" Hero sword animation.

I think the critical frames are decent, and obviously the dodge frames are fine. The regular attack frames need some kind of work done to them though.

Does that mean it doesn't jump high enough?

It means the jump is choppy as hell.

You need more frames. I know it's WIP, but those amounts of frames are not gonna cut it. Frame speed =/= smoothness.

Edited by shadowofchaos