FE: The Fate of Magvel

ThatGuyDownTheStreet

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The biggest suggestion is that listing ideas is kinda lame, because they actually don't show any effort, just dreaming. Concepts are cool, but actually start the work--and you'll get more people onboard.

Arch/Overtroll said that so long the name of the hack isn't "Magvellian Nights" or something similar to that, it was fine with him

XD

That's just... wow.

The biggest suggestion is that listing ideas is kinda lame, because they actually don't show any effort, just dreaming. Concepts are cool, but actually start the work--and you'll get more people onboard.

XD

That's just... wow.

I see your point, and at the time of when I made the post I forgot about what you said about the "ripoff" thing.

Another idea would be a group of individuals retreating from Carcino, or whatever that merchant nation was, once monsters really started showing up, and the rebellion thingy started taking place. There's a lot of area there that could be fleshed out that wasn't really detailed.

(I'm still of the belief that Hineass had a lot more relevancy in the early plot of the game...)

I just read that this will be a on FE7 so prepare for a lot of work. Though I'm sure you'll get help as you make more progress. Importing tilesets should not be too hard with Blazer'ss tutorial around. So if you're looking to pass ideas along you can find me on Skype if you want. I'll assist as I can but give me some time to respond due to (a) me being in Japan and (b) my new random work schedule.

...Why would you hack a "Magvellian Nights" tale onto FE7? If you're going to do this, at least use FE8 with all of it's enhanced capabilities (skills, branched promotions...).

Hell, I'd even teach you how to do the events (not on a forum, though. Get skype.)

Man, everyone is so nuts about Skype... Sucking its dick 24/7... I really suggest you do a hack of FE8. There really are very few disadvantages as to hacking FE8 at this point in the game. It also doesn't make sense to make a sequel of FE8 onto FE7. Especially considering FE8 already has monsters, the world map, all the characters in it, etc., I'm sorry man, but you're making 10x more work for you by making it on FE7, with 0 benefits. And I don't mean to be harsh, but... it's kinda the truth. Do what you want, but I'd really feel bad if you had to import all that shit... D=

If you want my thoughts on your ideas so far, here's what I got, if not, ignore:

- Telling us what each chapter is going to be about beforehand is pretty boring. Now we know what's going to happen and who's going to show up and it's highly predictable.

- So far there aren't any gameplay twists, and while I'd prefer if you DIDN'T tell us if there are going to be gaidens, bonus items/recruitments, new characters, etc., hopefully there will be, 'cuz u didn't put them in your plans =P

- as I said, sequeling FE8 on FE7 is just so much harder. maybe you heard that events for FE8 is harder, well, things have changed, it's really not. XD

- wee generic bandits, and not only are those bandits generic, but they don't really spark some greater hidden struggle within unlike how the bandit battle forced Eliwood to realize his role as a leader and fight to protect Pherae, even though he wasn't feeling well because of Eleanora's death

...Why would you hack a "Magvellian Nights" tale onto FE7? If you're going to do this, at least use FE8 with all of it's enhanced capabilities (skills, branched promotions...).

Hell, I'd even teach you how to do the events (not on a forum, though. Get skype.)

Man, everyone is so nuts about Skype... Sucking its dick 24/7... I really suggest you do a hack of FE8. There really are very few disadvantages as to hacking FE8 at this point in the game. It also doesn't make sense to make a sequel of FE8 onto FE7. Especially considering FE8 already has monsters, the world map, all the characters in it, etc., I'm sorry man, but you're making 10x more work for you by making it on FE7, with 0 benefits. And I don't mean to be harsh, but... it's kinda the truth. Do what you want, but I'd really feel bad if you had to import all that shit... D=

If you want my thoughts on your ideas so far, here's what I got, if not, ignore:

- Telling us what each chapter is going to be about beforehand is pretty boring. Now we know what's going to happen and who's going to show up and it's highly predictable.

- So far there aren't any gameplay twists, and while I'd prefer if you DIDN'T tell us if there are going to be gaidens, bonus items/recruitments, new characters, etc., hopefully there will be, 'cuz u didn't put them in your plans =P

- as I said, sequeling FE8 on FE7 is just so much harder. maybe you heard that events for FE8 is harder, well, things have changed, it's really not. XD

- wee generic bandits, and not only are those bandits generic, but they don't really spark some greater hidden struggle within unlike how the bandit battle forced Eliwood to realize his role as a leader and fight to protect Pherae, even though he wasn't feeling well because of Eleanora's death

To both of you: Ok, you two have officially persuaded me to switch to FE8. I'm glad I have people like you guys to back me up something like this.

To Cam: Just to clarify, there won't be any promoting within the hack. Hah, skills, that brings me back...

But anyway as I was reading your post I thought of something that would make this hack much easier to do on FE8, so I don't think I'll need that lesson just yet, but thanks anyway.

To Luffy: The World map will haunt me, just because that I was going to use a Menu Select chapter so you could go to all the chapters, but I guess I can work around it. Though the best part is I won't have to import every single animation, map sprite, and work out all those kinks such as those

Telling you guys about my ideas just means I can give more and more suprises within the chapter. I mainly just wanted to show what I thought was necessary, but it's ok. I was going to talk about all the stuff you didn't want me to mention, but if you feel that would just completely spoil the whole hack, I guess I can see your point. ;) As for generic bandits, well let's just say that once they're in the hack, they won't be generic, at least that's how I see it.

Edit:

New poll is up, I felt as if I wanted to hear what others thought about this.

Edited by ThatGuyDownTheStreet

I was actually about to say something like this.

1. Tilespammed.

2. Looks boring to play, as there isn't anything very interesting since it looks like just a boring plain old battle.

4. Why is there a chest down there? >_>

1. Tilespammed.

2. Looks boring to play, as there isn't anything very interesting since it looks like just a boring plain old battle.

4. Why is there a chest down there? >_>

There's no direction for the player to follow--most maps in the Fire Emblem series have a sort of "flow" to them, which guides a player along. Your map is just "there." There's nothing incentive about the map.

To: Psychedelica, when you say tilespammed I'm assuning you mean the houses, am I right?

Chest was a misclick, I'll fix that along with other stuff.

Do you have any ideas as to making it look less boring?

To: Celice

Do you know of a certain map in the GBA games that I could reference off of?

Thanks for the comments!

You're asking to be directed to most maps in the series. Most of the maps in FE7 have a good direction of flow:

http://www.fireemblemwod.net/fe7/guiafe7/capitulo11efe7.htm

Terrain is not meant to hinder the player randomly. There's intent behind the placement. The later games in the series do not fill their maps with tiles for the sake of being varied or fulfilled. They try to attain what view is meant to be accomplished.

You're asking to be directed to most maps in the series. Most of the maps in FE7 have a good direction of flow:

http://www.fireemble...itulo11efe7.htm

Terrain is not meant to hinder the player randomly. There's intent behind the placement. The later games in the series do not fill their maps with tiles for the sake of being varied or fulfilled. They try to attain what view is meant to be accomplished.

I see what you mean. You, my friend, have sparked a couple of ideas for this map. You'll see them in the next screenshot.

If you want a good map/project/anything you might want to try and recruit people who can help you to assist you with your project you're working on.

I mean, personally, I don't think I'm a great mapper, but I can definitely turn out something better than that.

If you want a good map/project/anything you might want to try and recruit people who can help you to assist you with your project you're working on.

I mean, personally, I don't think I'm a great mapper, but I can definitely turn out something better than that.

Like I said, it was a WIP, I wasn't quite finished with it yet. I just wanted to see if I could pool in some other people's ideas. Plus, I never really liked relying on too many people, I just figured it would be easier to do stuff myself. If I need help, I'll ask for how to do stuff rather than having others doing it for me. It's just really how I grew up as a person. Though I understand that other people like recruiting others much more than I do.

Edited by ThatGuyDownTheStreet