Lucius, Erk, or Canas?

108 members have voted

1. 1. Who is the better magic user?

While Canas may be overrated on other sites, Luna and Nosferatu do not come 'freaking late'. Nosferatu is in Chapter 19, and there's a Luna is in Chapter 20.

Well, they seem to save it up to Lategame and the dragon, since it's where most of the hype comes from, from what he can do to the Fire Dragon.

Nobody likes emo kids like Erk. The only thing funny about him is the conversations he has with Serra.

What about Raven. People love Raven.

Canas is easily the best of the three. In comparison to the other FE shamans/druids he's entirely different, having over-all decent stats in everything, and having access to FE7's Luna tome...I'm entirely unsurprised he managed to kill that dragon with it, unpromoted. Plus, he's a lot of fun to feed faceless mooks to.

I lol'd.

Edited by Soul

• Replies 153
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

From a purely subjective perspective of personality, Erk is one of my favorite characters in the game (then again, Eliwood is up there for me as well, so you may want to discount that). If you're a gaming gambler, go with Erk--his growths fluctuate incredibly. He can be amazing or terrible. Lucius is a lot more stable, but as has been pointed out several times, he's rather squishy. Canas is... Well, he has a cool monocle, at least.

Well, they seem to save it up to Lategame and the dragon, since it's where most of the hype comes from, from what he can do to the Fire Dragon.

Luna's weight is 12, which is pretty heavy for Canas (whose initial constitution is 7; I don't remember whether that increases after promotion), but still not as heavy as Durandal (weight 16) or even Aureola (weight 14).

I guess the real question is this: Who does more damage to the Fire Dragon (taking double-attacks into account): Lucius wielding Aureola, or Canas wielding Luna? Keep in mind that the penalty to Lucius' attack speed will be greater because of Lucius' inferior Constitution (initially 6) and Aureola's greater weight.

Edited by Paper Jam

Lucius is getting one shotted by the dragon. And why would you have either of them attack, it is much easier with Athos, or hell, even Hector.

You need as many people attacking the dragon as possible in order to bring it down in one or two turns, and Canas generally does even more damage with Luna than Athos does with Forblaze.

You need as many people attacking the dragon as possible in order to bring it down in one or two turns, and Canas generally does even more damage with Luna than Athos does with Forblaze.

Athos can use Luna, you know. 60 damage to the Dragon right there, and he ORKOs if he crits.

Don't get me wrong, I love using Canas. He's just always under or over-hyped.

Edited by Radiant Dragon

Athos doesn't double at base. Not even with 1 Body Ring (he has 19 AS with Luna vs. 16 AS).

If you use Filla's Might on him, he has 13 crit for an OHKO. You could also dance him with Nils for 2 chances at 13 crit while 4HKOing, but there's the very rare occasion to consider where Athos gets OHKO'd by the dragon.

Edited by dondon151

Athos doesn't double at base. Not even with 1 Body Ring (he has 19 AS with Luna vs. 16 AS).

If you use Filla's Might on him, he has 13 crit for an OHKO. You could also dance him with Nils for 2 chances at 13 crit while 4HKOing, but there's the very rare occasion to consider where Athos gets OHKO'd by the dragon.

Oh. I could've sworn he did. Although, can Nils reach Athos to dance him after Athos attacks the first time (I think he needs the Boots, but I've been wrong before). And how is Athos getting OHKO'd by the Dragon?

Oh. I could've sworn he did. Although, can Nils reach Athos to dance him after Athos attacks the first time (I think he needs the Boots, but I've been wrong before). And how is Athos getting OHKO'd by the Dragon?

Yeah, you're right; Nils does need the boots, which means that Filla's Might is the superior strategy. Based on the variable nature of HHM bonuses, the dragon can have 19 or 20 str before Flametongue - usually 19 str, but if he has 20 str, then +10 str and 10 MT from Flametongue is exactly an OHKO on Athos. I've had it happen to me once before, and I wasn't paying attention when I had Athos attack the dragon.

Based on the variable nature of HHM bonuses, the dragon can have 19 or 20 str before Flametongue - usually 19 str, but if he has 20 str, then +10 str and 10 MT from Flametongue is exactly an OHKO on Athos. I've had it happen to me once before, and I wasn't paying attention when I had Athos attack the dragon.

Oh, okay. The Dragon's always had 19 str in my HHM playthroughs, so I thought it was a static number.

Now that I think about it, I'm probably thinking of HNM...

Edited by Radiant Dragon

I'm amazed at how much weight those other sights put on just the final chapter of the game and Dark Magic being unique. Because the final chapter and how one measures up against the Dragon are the only things that matter when measuring a unit's value. And Dark Magic is just SOOOO cool. Right. :dry:

Why does everyone hate Erk nowadays? I thought he used to be somewhat popular back when FE7 first came out.

I don't think that's actually hate. Rather, that's more like people recognizing that he has his flaws. He's certainly not a bad unit though.

I think Erk "popularity" (if it ever existed) died down when people started seeing Pent as a viable Sage.

Didn't people always see Pent as a viable sage though? Or am I missing something?

Lucius's magic and resistance growths are incredible. the only sucky parts are his HP and Defense, but those can be fixed with a couple of stat boosting items.

Erk is more durable, which I like. Erk got out of more tight spots than Lucius did when I was playing. But when Erk and Lucius were both lvl 20 sage and bishop respectively, Lucius completely crushed Erk.

Also, I was able to beat Nergal with just Lucius back in Eliwood normal mode. Erk couldn't do that for some reason.

Edited by Jack - Keeper of the Dead

Lucius' HP is actually pretty average for a Mage. It's about thhe same as Erk's and only losing out to Canas, like every other Mage. In any case, Lucius' dreadful Luck & Def tend to be the problem.