Did Roy have some Oedipus Complex? (possible spoiler)

Apollocles

Obviously Roy and Lilina are half siblings because lyn is option for their mother

Can't obtain Lyn/Hector A and Lyn/Eliwood A on the same playthrough. Unless one of them was conceived out of wedlock in some crazy Lord threesome or something.

So where's the problem?

You're talking about FE fans, Momo. They're fucked up.

JUST because this topic needs more fuel.

ASupportFuel.png

Edited by shadowofchaos

I just noticed that Eliwood have the same possible couples than Roy.

So, Did Roy have some Oedipus Complex. Let's see that.

Eliwood possible mate: Ninian, Lyn, Fiora

Roy possible mate: Thany, Sue, Lilina, Lalum, Cecilia, Sophia.

1-Cecilia is Lilina and Roy teacher and above she is a motherly figure for them...

2-Sue is a Sacaen nomade noble (chief grand-daughter), like Lyn.

3-Thany is a Pegasus Knight for Illia, like Fiora.

4-Lalum is a Dancer like Ninian (by the way it's said than Eliwood's mother is an excellent dancer too... double Oedipus!)

5-Sophia is an half dragon, and Ninian too!

6-Lilina is the best choise? Not so sure since Roy and Lilina should be 1st degree cousins!

What do you think about it?

No, because FE6 came out first, so all of your similarities are coincidences/laziness on ISs part.

1. No, you just made that part up

6. ..What?

All of the choices in between don't make any sense and I don't think you understand what the Oedipus Complex really is.

The possibility that Roy and Lilina are cousins still exists, though. Eliwood has the option of marrying Fiora, while Hector can marry Florina or Farina.

Fire Emblem 6 came out before FE7 when you could theoritically make Roy/Lilina related. I'm pretty sure IS did not intend that to happen when they made FE6.

You're talking about FE fans, Momo. They're fucked up.

Honestly, what's up with the glorification of incest? The last time I checked, incest is not a good thing!

Fire Emblem 6 came out before FE7 when you could theoritically make Roy/Lilina related. I'm pretty sure IS did not intend that to happen when they made FE6.

I'm well aware of this, and it doesn't change anything. IS created the possibility when they made FE7 regardless of their intentions when they made FE6.

Of course, the one born out of wedlock might not have their true parentage revealed anyway because that would be a pretty big political scandal.

Well, Zephiel and Guinevere weren't shy about the fact that they were half-siblings, and that would have caused even bigger political turmoil.

But why would Eliwood go to Ilia to pick a flower for Lyn? Fiora or Ninian would appreciate the gesture more than Lyn would.

But why would Eliwood go to Ilia to pick a flower for Lyn? Fiora or Ninian would appreciate the gesture more than Lyn would.

I'm not from Germany. My favorite meads are.

A favorite thing can be exotic, it doesn't necessarily have to be from home.

It's the fetish for something forbidden. Not really that unheard of.

actually, wasn't it a rather normal situation in the old days? they did it to keep the royal bloodlines royal, right?

other than that, I don't believe there's anything incest-like going on in any FE since FE6 (dunno about the earlier ones, I heard stories)

I'm not from Germany. My favorite meads are.

A favorite thing can be exotic, it doesn't necessarily have to be from home.

And then there's the "in game beginning of the chapter, not in supports nor in talk events" that Lyn was taking a shot at Hector for being dense and not noticing Eliwood liked Ninian.

This topic is pointless because the OP used the "Oedipus Complex" incorrectly.

Oedipus/Electra Complex: A complex that develops in the Phallic Stage of development, in which the child develops desires that mimic sexual ones in which they compete with their father/mother for their mother/father's attention and love. They see the same-sex parent as the enemy. This happens when the child is usually in early preschool age.

Roy having an Oedipal Complex may still exist but it is not in the way the OP described.

actually, wasn't it a rather normal situation in the old days? they did it to keep the royal bloodlines royal, right?

other than that, I don't believe there's anything incest-like going on in any FE since FE6 (dunno about the earlier ones, I heard stories)

Fans of the series want these relationships to fulfill some incest fantasies of their own though, not just because of history.

Also, there's Priscilla and Raven, even if it was one sided.

People usually go for someone who resembles one parent or the other; after all, our parents are usually our first introduction to the way humans are, or the way humans should be.

But Roy has the same potential with all of those girls regardless of who his mother is. He could go for Thany whether Fiora is his mother or not; he could go for Sophia whether Ninian is his mother or not; he could go for Sue whether Lyn is his mother or not.

And Lilina, Lalam, and Cecilia don't have much in common with any of Eliwood's potential wives. Sure, Ninian and Lalam are both dancers, but that's about the only thing they have in common.

Edited by Paper Jam

Poor Roy. He's so freaking cute though. >w<

--

I personally think Fiora is Roy's mother. Something about her personality and appearance coupled with Eliwood's feels like the right combination to produce a character like Roy, not to mention, I really just think that they would function well as a couple. They're both extremely dutiful and modest, which I personally see instilled in Roy. And I know that this is purely coincidence, but something about Fiora's face reminds me of Roy. XD

With Lyn, there was never really any chemistry between her and Eliwood, and they were nothing more than good friends. As for Ninian, as much as I dislike her, I can't deny that there was definitely a spark, and that Eliwood/Ninian was heavily implied to be canon, but I think both of them would have realize fairly quickly that any relationship between them would be doomed. (Ninian's shortened existence and her... heritage.) I can see them mutually agreeing to let each other go for the sake of each others happiness.

As for the actual topic at hand, I don't think Roy has an Oedipus Complex. You might be on to something else, but unless I'm mistaken, to have an Oedipus Complex means you actually desire your mother, not just someone who somewhat resembles her for whatever reason. I think if nothing else, Roy holds his memories of his mother in high regard and wants to seek the same happiness in his own marriage that was also enjoyed by his parents.

Also, thanks to shadowofchaos for mentioning Lilina and Marcus' B support about the Ilian flowers. I read it. Adorable. *A*

• 5 months later...

Sorry, couldn't resist bumping

I find the naming of the Oedipus Complex somewhat odd itself, because in the play

[spoiler= on the off chance somebody would be disappointed by having Oedipus spoiled for them]Oedipus didn't know his wife was his mother when he married her, he originally reacts to rumor/prophecy that his wife is actually his mother with shock (to put it lightly), and when the fact is revealed at the climax, he gouges out his own eyes in horror and dismay (albeit he does that as he hears other terrible, news as well)

I don't know if it could be argued that there's evidence he really did have a thing for his mom anyway, but I at least think he'd be pretty unhappy about having the complex named after him.

Was that Freud? Silly Freud.

Edited by Rehab

• 6 months later...

Hmm, doesn't the Oedipus Complex involve hatred/dislike for the father(or father figure) as well as overly strong attachement (that may seem sexual) to the mother?

Roy neithr hates/dislikes his father and I think he doesn't remember his mother at all. So he doesn't have a Oedipus complex but may or may not have similar taste in women like his father (depending on who Roy gets A support with)

On the topic of Roy pairings, I pair him with Cecilia.

Eliwood + Ninian = 1/4 Dragon!Roy

Wouldn't Eliwood have hinted at that at some point while SoS!Roy runs around and slaughters dragons?

Just Saiyan