Any good place to find SNES-era sprites?

Geriba

It's no secret that the SNES Fire Emblem games have the best sprites in the series, but it's damn near impossible to find any kind of sprite hub with a detailed collection. Spriter's Resource comes up empty here, and Google's not doing much either. I know that Serenes has a decent number of map sprites, but even those are complete (eg. missing Sara's sage sprite, etc.).

So, does anyone know of a good place to find these? If not, it might be high time for someone to compile them; FE4 and 5 are too good not to receive that kind of treatment.

http://www.feplanet.net/games/4

This might have some of what you're looking for. The FE5 section is a bit lacking, though.

I thought the battle sprites were there as well, but looking now, I can't seem to find them. I know I've seen some place with some or all of them, though, so they're somewhere.

Are you talking about mugs, or just sprites in general?

Sprites in general. The mugs are easy to find; specific battle and map sprites for each character, pre- and post-promotion, are a rarity.

And that link's not bad, but there's quite a bit missing.

The reason they are rare is because the sheer number of different animations that have to be snapped off, not withstanding the weapons for each possible animation.

No one has the time to go through everything and get the pieces necessary. The easiest method would be to locate the graphics in the ROM, use the compression program available at the Binary uploader, and then arrange the sprites with the proper TSA. I already looked into it once and the sprites are fucking horrible, in terms of arrangement--it would take long for you to piece them together than it would to take a picture every frame (here's what they look like after being decompressed).

I did have a good friend who actually spent his time grabbing some for a hack of mine, several years ago. Obviously, it was too boring to keep going.

http://s37.photobucket.com/albums/e53/Eltoshen/Overworld%20Map%20Sprites/Genealogy%20of%20Holy%20War/Blue/

Here's whatever sprites I had accumulated/ripped myself

fe4sprites2em.png

fdg.png

Monshou_UNIT.png

SeisenUNIT.png

ThraciaUNIT.png

ThraciaITEM.png

SeisenITEM.png

SeisenOTHER.png

MonshouITEM.png

GaidenUNIT.png

AnkokuUNIT.png

Seisenunitdump4color_BLUE_RED_GREEN.png

AVc60.gif

The last image is from the FE9/FE10 disk.

Edited by Celice

I could grab the standing frames, but the moving ones, you're on your own. If you're feeling up to it, you could check out if they're arranged any more clearer in the RAM than they were in FE4. ZSNES savestates are uncompressed images of the RAM, and you could open it in a graphic editor and take a look.

EDIT: Ah, I had the wrong image for what they look like in-RAM. This is what they look like, in FE4, for example:

juniorlordcompiled.png

Without copying how the game puts the tiles together, it's gonna be laborious :L

Edited by Celice

Seeing as my request is somewhat related to this thread, I'm just going to ask before I go into the painful process of ripping them myself, is there any FE5 animations (Leaf's critical in particular) out there?

I made one with a background, but I want a transparent background.

leafcritical.gif

^ A bit like this (I saved the images as .BMPs which slowed down the animation a lot, I believe. Facepalm_emote_gif.gif

But with a transparent background like this:

FireEmblem5Trachia776RomVersionJ_00000.png

If there isn't a site for these, I'm sure I can take up the chore of ripping the battle animations from FE5...

(Leaf's crit animation is 152 frames .__. )

If you take the time to do it, you can edit the back-ground palette to something other than black, so at least you can have an easier time setting up transparencies (I think in FE4, some battle animations have pure black for their outlines, which can get removed 'cause the backdrop is also pure black without any layers).

That's all I can suggest though ._. Luckily with a little data editing, you can have all the classes and weapons available in the first chapter.

Seeing as my request is somewhat related to this thread, I'm just going to ask before I go into the painful process of ripping them myself, is there any FE5 animations (Leaf's critical in particular) out there?

I made one with a background, but I want a transparent background.

leafcritical.gif

^ A bit like this (I saved the images as .BMPs which slowed down the animation a lot, I believe. Facepalm_emote_gif.gif

But with a transparent background like this:

FireEmblem5Trachia776RomVersionJ_00000.png

If there isn't a site for these, I'm sure I can take up the chore of ripping the battle animations from FE5...

(Leaf's crit animation is 152 frames .__. )

This is awesome. If you do decide to take one for the FE community and rip these, be sure to keep us updated!

It might be a good idea to blank out the enemy's sprite as well, but I guess it's not a big deal if you leave the enemy there. I'm not sure how you'd pull that off though--maybe you could set all their palette colours to transparent? (For the GBA games, I just blanked the actual frames.)

Edited by VincentASM