Just a question about racism.

Nestling

I wouldn't exactly call it white privilege since not all white people are so lucky, but it is a privilege that white people enjoy disproportionately

Perhaps I phrased it poorly, but that's more along the lines of what I was trying to get at. Obviously I've lived a "privileged" life style, but that is a result of the hard work and effort my parents (my dad definitely didn't grow up all that privileged; my mom to an extent did) made before I was born and probably has very little to do with the fact that I'm white. Granted my parents grew up mostly after the civil rights movement and my concept of privilege is more a kin to things like "Oh, you're white? Here, have a free cupcake." when compared to "Oh, you grew up in a crime free neighborhood that your parents put effort into getting to? You're so lucky."

Perhaps I phrased it poorly, but that's more along the lines of what I was trying to get at. Obviously I've lived a "privileged" life style, but that is a result of the hard work and effort my parents (my dad definitely didn't grow up all that privileged; my mom to an extent did) made before I was born and probably has very little to do with the fact that I'm white. Granted my parents grew up mostly after the civil rights movement and my concept of privilege is more a kin to things like "Oh, you're white? Here, have a free cupcake." when compared to "Oh, you grew up in a crime free neighborhood that your parents put effort into getting to? You're so lucky."

But the point is that your parents did those things, not you, and even more to the point, even if your parents worked very very hard (I have no doubt they did), they still would have experienced some degree of (white) priviledge in their lives.

I mean, as a really, really fucking extreme example, in western Canada for the longest time we had "residential schools" for Native Americans, that the children were more or less forced to go to, which due to a number of factors, including the incredible abuse that went on there, but also just the way they were taught, pumped out a number of individuals who were incapable of functioning in society. Now, there are Native American people born in Canada to this day who are still significantly worse off because of this, or end up non functional, regardless of the fact that they never actually went through the system. The fact is, that if their parents were broken individuals, their chance of having the same thing happen to them is dramatically increased. By the same token, poverty and racial inequality breed poverty and racial inequality.

But the point is that your parents did those things, not you, and even more to the point, even if your parents worked very very hard (I have no doubt they did), they still would have experienced some degree of (white) priviledge in their lives.

So, you're trying to say that because my parents may have experienced white privilege, I too have experienced it because of that? I can't really say that is something I've personally experienced, but I guess that could be correct in a way.

So, you're trying to say that because my parents may have experienced white privilege, I too have experienced it because of that? I can't really say that is something I've personally experienced, but I guess that could be correct in a way.

White privilege exists in several ways, only some of which are financially related. As someone who is white, you are as less likely to be harassed by law enforcement or other officials, less likely to be perceived as "shady" or for people to think you have ulterior motives about everything, etc. You also see yourself present in media almost always as the hero/protagonist/whatever. I don't know if I'm doing a good job explaining it, so maybe someone else can help clarify.

Basically you are also experiencing white privilege, and not just because your parents benefited from it. You benefit from white privilege because the system is just built that way. You didn't do anything really to make the system like it is, but the way it is set up benefits you for no reason other than you're white.

Note that I'm white and all this applies to myself as well. Don't want anyone to think I'm just bashing on all the white bros.

It's not just that. Being white in America creates benefits others do not always have. While we like to believe racism is gone in America, it is not, and even if it is much less direct and much less severe than it has been in the past, the reality is the way you are perceived by peers, school boards, potential employers, law enforcement, potential customers/clients(If you work. I have no idea) is all different as a white American than it would be if you were a minority. This can be as minor as some guy being more friendly to you, or not looking at you in an odd way, and it can be as serious as getting a job you're less deserving/qualified for than a minority, but the point is it exists.

I just realized I don't know if you're American. I kinda assume you are, but if you arent, my fault. I don't know racial dynamics in other countries, sadly, but I assume most pre-dominantly white countries are the same. Sorry if I'm wrong, though.

When was the last time you had to worry about being followed in a nice store because you looked shady?

Can you buy Band-Aids that match your skin color without resorting to "transparent"?

What is the definition of "gifted" in your high school, in terms of test scores?

Maybe you'll understand the significance of these questions.

As someone who is white, you are as less likely to be harassed by law enforcement or other officials, less likely to be perceived as "shady" or for people to think you have ulterior motives about everything, etc.

I would say that has more to do with how people dress and whether or not they, you know, actually were committing a crime.

I just realized I don't know if you're American. I kinda assume you are, but if you arent, my fault. I don't know racial dynamics in other countries, sadly, but I assume most pre-dominantly white countries are the same. Sorry if I'm wrong, though.

I am American. My understanding of racial dynamics in other countries is that most are generally worse off than the U.S.A. is, especially in Asian countries.

When was the last time you had to worry about being followed in a nice store because you looked shady?

When was the last time I didn't have to worry about that would be a better question.

What is the definition of "gifted" in your high school, in terms of test scores?

I don't see the significance in this, but the band aid one was good, though really silly in the grand scale of things. I can't believe people would actually worry about something like what color a band aid is considering you can get them in all kinds of colors and designs.

Profiling in general happens in America, and is well supported. If you're not of the minority groups that are profiled, you are experiencing white privilege. I can pull up statistics and quotes on racial profiling's support, and its use if you really want, but I'd really rather not. It's a few google searches away if you'd like to be a little more informed, but basically, by being a white American, you escape a lot of question and suspicion. This is one example of white privilege. There are many others, but if you don't buy those, this one is pretty difficult to argue against. :/

I take it you mean that evidence of profiling is well supported? Because profiling in the U.S.A. is definitely not well supported.

http://www.rasmussenreports.com/public_content/lifestyle/general_lifestyle/november_2011/60_say_profiling_necessary_in_today_s_society

Specifically talking about airport checks, but it's the mindset that counts.

I take it you mean that evidence of profiling is well supported? Because profiling in the U.S.A. is definitely not well supported.

I'll bring up the law then that was passed in Arizona that essentially let police officers racially profile Latinos/Hispanics and assume they were all illegal immigrants, regardless of whether or not they were American born/legally immigrated/whatever. SEVERAL states also supported this. So yes, American has shown both evidence of racial profiling as well as support for it.

Also the way one dresses is not what we are talking about. There is research that shows that minority populations are accused of theft/followed in stores more. Really, white privilege exists. You don't necessarily need to feel awful about it, but the first step to reaching any sense of parity is to recognize that privilege is granted to those who are white.

I'll bring up the law then that was passed in Arizona that essentially let police officers racially profile Latinos/Hispanics and assume they were all illegal immigrants

That's not what the law does at all, but okay...

I'm surprised that there actual is wide support for profiling in law enforcement though, considering it is illegal to do so.

hahahahaha america

Considering you're from Australia, I wouldn't be laughing.

Edited by Blademaster!