Round 58 SF Splicing Competition

Vampire Elf

• Replies 80
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

They aren't "lesser spriters." They're perfectly legitimate spriters who are simply "less experienced."

Personally, I wouldn't mind having a more advanced spriting contest, myself, but who are you to judge who is "elite" or not? It's entirely subjective.

Hmm..... Maybe there should be a special competition once a month for only the best. The "Elite Splicing Competition." Complete with harder rules and fewer sprites.

Only problem I can see is that not everyone that would be considered "elite" would be up for it.

Also, fewer sprites? 2 sprites? Or 1 and a half?

I would like to see a more advanced competition that would just let anyone who wanted to join, join. Like, 5 mugs for splicing, or "Make this out of this" types of competitions ' 3'

I second Trent's idea. It'd be more interesting and won't be exclusive. Like AK said, "elite" is too subjective of a criteria for one person to decide.

Many spriters who are decent, good, or even great today started off in these competitions, so it's not about winning but just challenging yourself and improving your own skills.

I should try something this week, hmhm.

Vamp, Anon, Amelia, Char, etc.

Having you guys in the comps tends to kill chances for lesser spriters. :p

Many spriters who are decent, good, or even great today started off in these competitions, so it's not about winning but just challenging yourself and improving your own skills.

Yeah, the thing is Nayr, more often than not people don't go in to win this stuff, they go in for the fun of it? The challenge etc- Not everyone shares your mentality.

I think that most spriters who like the normal slice comp would be interested in the 'different' comp, and to make a blanket statement: I'd say the 'less experienced spriters would be be even more interested than the 'more experienced spriters', as a lot of the time it's newer and fresher rather than 'stale' and something been done for years and years.

Yeah, the thing is Nayr, more often than not people don't go in to win this stuff, they go in for the fun of it? The challenge etc- Not everyone shares your mentality.

I think that most spriters who like the normal slice comp would be interested in the 'different' comp, and to make a blanket statement: I'd say the 'less experienced spriters would be be even more interested than the 'more experienced spriters', as a lot of the time it's newer and fresher rather than 'stale' and something been done for years and years.

It's more about fairness than ambition to win If even one of you guys is in the contest, it's like letting Superman play in the Super Bowl. Every team in America could play against him and he'd win every time.

Plus I've pretty much lost interest in splicing competitions. So I wouldn't be entering either way. A spriting contest between the best, with harder rules and 1 less sprite to use for materials, would pose a curious challenge with interesting results.

Edited by The Illusive Man

It's more about fairness than ambition to win If even one of you guys is in the contest, it's like letting Superman play in the Super Bowl. Every team in America could play against him and he'd win every time.

Plus I've pretty much lost interest in splicing competitions. So I wouldn't be entering either way. A spriting contest between the best, with harder rules and 1 less sprite to use for materials, would pose a curious challenge with interesting results.

These contests are not about winning. They are about having fun and trying your best to make cool splices. If you enter these contests to win, you're not entering for the right reasons. You get nothing if you win, and get nothing if you lose. The only thing the winner gets is to choose the next set, which is of no consequence. Your superman analogy is way too extreme, because the good spriters here are not THAT high above the less experienced ones, and while the football teams would never be able to match superman, people here can learn to sprite better, get more experience, and eventually get on par with the good spriters.

No contest should have limitations on who can join. That alienates people from wanting to sprite. Any contest that gets made should be open to anyone who wants to join, not a subjective list of the "best" spriters.

They aren't "lesser spriters." They're perfectly legitimate spriters who are simply "less experienced."

Personally, I wouldn't mind having a more advanced spriting contest, myself, but who are you to judge who is "elite" or not? It's entirely subjective.

Precisely. Hence why lesser was in quotes. A lot of these guys are actually better than i am or just more creative.

I would like to see a more advanced competition that would just let anyone who wanted to join, join. Like, 5 mugs for splicing, or "Make this out of this" types of competitions ' 3'

Yeah totes. Sometimes, only three mugs is a bit restrictive to splice out of. But it would be cool to have like a three mug splicing thing where you go "MAKE AN ARMOR KNIGHT OUT OF THIS!" and shiz like that. I like the five mug idea a lot!

Fairness? 99% of the time, people arent joining these to win. They join for shits and giggles and for fun. Or they join to learn to get better at spriting! (like that one kid that was just a total newb but learned how to splice like a bawss in only like a couple of days or some junk. What was his name...)

dealwithityoshi08.gif

Nayr, I'm a person, not a superhero, I've lost spriting competitions before too!

It's not like everything I make is perfectly flawless, especially not on my first run through with a sprite, which is about as far as I go with splices.

It's unfair to say someone is too good(or too bad for that matter) to enter a splice contest.

Week after week people join these things and you seem to be the only one discouraged or upset about the fact, you've said yourself you've lost interest in this, so why bother QQ'ing about it in here?

All you're doing is frustrating the experienced spriters and undermining the new or less experienced spriters.

You need a bit of a reality check mate, and should take a serious look at your manners when you've got some spare time.

Probably gonna be a completely repetitive post because too much text when about to go to bed Heehee yeah splicing competitions are pretty good at helping new spriters improve. I should go search through my older entries that I put in these XD But the cool thing for me to think about is that since I still have lots of room to improve in, I will only just keep getting better with these~

The other reason that isn't trying to win that I hope doesn't only apply to me... I often have trouble coming up with ideas for spriting and since I'm lazy I let others do my work for me XD People will just put up a set of mugs and I come to check out the topic to see if anything clicks in my mind.

While I'm fairly artistic I seem to have an "Artist's Block" like 97% of the time or something x3 But since I'm never really interested in anything else that isn't artistic and also don't have a life otherwise I'm also in the mood for nothing else, so I end up constantly in the mood to do something creative... with nothing to do because my mind always comes up blank.

It's sad ;~;

Using Limstella as a base is too mainstream, gonna genderbend Geitz instead

what the fuck was I doing

2isjy9d.jpg

How dare you post a good sprite, you're not one of the elite listed below.

Vamp, Anon, Amelia, Char, etc.

JUST WANTED TO CLARIFY I'M KIDDING AND NOT TRYING TO START AN ARGUEMENT.

All jokes aside, I really love it, I was planning fur too! I just needa get off my ass an do it.

Using Limstella as a base is too mainstream, gonna genderbend Geitz instead

what the fuck was I doing

2isjy9d.jpg

Yes! You joined! NO ONE CAN DENY MY KITTY POWAH~

Now, Vampie, get working already. >w>

Edit: Also Lumi, there's few scattered pixels lying around, you should clean it up more. o3o

Edited by Amelia

No harm in entering~ most of us aren't geniuses, we just had a lot of practice.

So enter more and get better :D

@Amely: kk~ back to PS I goooooo

@ Vamp: Yes fur join us in the fluffiness

Edited by Luminescent Blade

I didn't know anyone used photoshop for these mugs! I'm fascinated by your setup. That's a custom palette? Are you able to limit colors? Also you have so many layers... :v I'm on Mac too so I'm not able to use Paint or anything, I've been using Pixen but now that I know photoshop is do-able, I may look into this more. Pixen's kind of rough around the edges, but it handles files well. In PS I have a very hard time saving colors properly--my first ever sprite had like 150 colors I think because I made it in ps and because I was the biggest noob. Yay me

Oh, and your mug is gorgeous of course -u-

Edited by Mewiyev

I didn't know anyone used photoshop for these mugs! I'm fascinated by your setup. That's a custom palette? Are you able to limit colors? Also you have so many layers... :v I'm on Mac too so I'm not able to use Paint or anything, I've been using Pixen but now that I know photoshop is do-able, I may look into this more. Pixen's kind of rough around the edges, but it handles files well. In PS I have a very hard time saving colors properly--my first ever sprite had like 150 colors I think because I made it in ps and because I was the biggest noob. Yay me

Oh, and your mug is gorgeous of course -u-

Most people don't mainly because they don't have PS or prefer a less bulky program (ex: PdN, GG, MSP).

Colors can be limited by indexing, although you can always just check with Usenti if you don't want to bother with indexing.

@Free - But irony isn't about inside jokes?