Ana's Art Returns!

Anacybele

6 minutes ago, Anacybele said:

Huh, yeah, that is some weirdness right there. We also have to keep in mind that the FE world has magic though, which makes a lot of normally impossible stuff possible, like healing wounds up right away and probably better medicine too.

True, but unfortunately, it seems like a lot of people still die young, like the green bros' dad, Hector's parents, brother, and wife, Eliwood's wife, etc.

I look forward to seeing the colored version.

• Replies 796
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

4 minutes ago, Rezzy said:

True, but unfortunately, it seems like a lot of people still die young, like the green bros' dad, Hector's parents, brother, and wife, Eliwood's wife, etc.

I look forward to seeing the colored version.

Yeah, but a lot of people today die young too, sadly. It may not happen as often as it used to, but it does. And I don't think we actually know how old the Tellius brothers' dad or Hector's parents were...

But even then, all of the people you listed died from the same thing more or less: illness. Illnesses still take young lives today. Cancer is a bitch, and so are certain disorders that shorten the lifespan. And in the case of Hector's folks, the illness ran in the family, which also happens today with things like diabetes and stuff.

Edited by Anacybele

I finished coloring! :D

Spoiler

the_radiant_hero_and_his_bride_by_great_

I know the road and building bricks are a bit messy, but they don't ever look perfect in real life, right?

Ike has a kiss mark on his cheek just because. lol

Extended description here.

I'd make fun of Ike for the lavender suit, but looks nice.  I've been thinking lately about doing something special for my 5th wedding anniversary, since I had a courthouse wedding and didn't get a ceremony., but not sure if we can afford anything right now.

Cute! Reminds me of your Frederick/Robin picture from a while back :P  The only part that looks a little odd to me are Ike's legs/bottom half. His left leg is a bit too high and short (kinda missing his crotch area). If it helps, flipping the canvas can help find anatomy errors/if it looks off balance. 

• 2 weeks later...

Since you've been very sensitive about critique in the past, II'll mention first that i will probably come off as a bit harsh. If your not interested in hearing harsh critique then don't reply, and if you still wanna hear it well go ahead and read it. I'll even put it into a spoiler so you can ignore it much easier if you want.

Spoiler

ikes upper body looks way to big in comparison to his lower body if your going for a semi realistic look, also elincia kinda has noodle limbs, and the engle of her face looks off or at the very least not very exciting. Ike should probably be a head taller, maybe even two heads taller if you want to get closer to what ike typically looks like in most media depictions as he seems to be about 7 and a half heads tall in his radiant dawn incarnation well yours seems to be about six heads tall. elencias mouth also looks a bit skewed to me and on a more personal note the expressions look a bit lifeless to me. If ike is suppose to be in motion most likely running given the attempted pose then it sure as hell doesnt look like hes in motion and looks more like hes doing the can can. use a reference for the pose next time for stronger results if you feel un-confidant in drawing it. also there doesnt seem to be much of an attempt to use foreshortening thus making the image look flat. if your trying to get across the idea of ike in a running motion it would help to translate that to elencias cloths and hair seeing as those are longer and more flowing, like you kinda try it with the back head cloth thing but then its not done anywhere else on her making it look like ikes doing the most awkward and feminine walk in the world, if he even can walk as it looks like his legs are broken. the perspective also seems off to me, like i am not positive but i would recommend checking your perspective lines, especially with ike in comparison to the foreground. Well I can't really fault you on bad hands it doesn't look like they where all that well done so either you need more practice drawing hands or you need to put more effort into hands, like anatomically they look okay but they also look more like playdough then actual hands and well that might fly in a purely cartoonish style your going for semi realistic. Also the surrounding environment is very boring and I feel like you could really benefit from putting at least some more detail into the environment and the clothing as well. also the lipstick smudge could stand to be faded a bit seeing as how it looks like a smear of fresh blood to me right now but that one is completely up to you.

Sorry, but I don't see or don't agree with a lot of what you said, except Ike's height, I can see how he probably could've been a bit taller. Still, a lot of what you said are things I know I did or tried to do in this picture (foreshortening, the background looking nice, etc. There isn't anything more I can add to the background either and it looks fine to me). And it's too late to fix anything anyway.

Believe me, I appreciate your efforts, but there's nothing I can do here.

Although, I'm rather tired of hearing "no attempt at foreshortening" and other things I've heard many times before. As if people don't think I'm trying to do these things. I HAVE been trying to do it in any drawing that requires them. I've even looked at references in order to get a better grasp on them. But I guess nothing works. I'm not blaming you for anything, I'm more or less upset at myself, honestly. I wanted to major in graphics design, but if I can't improve any further and I'll just end up with people pointing out the same things over and over, what's the point? I wouldn't ever get a degree here, no matter how much I try to listen to critique or advice or whatnot. I never wanted to give up on this, art is fun and seems like a fun career, but now I feel like I'm just wasting my time...

Oh, but here's some advice for you: could you use some better spelling and grammar next time? I had trouble understanding some of what you said.

Edited by Anacybele

So, I did a lot of thinking about my artwork. I decided that maybe I just need to take a different approach to making improvements. I mean, obviously what I've been doing isn't working if I'm still getting the same critiques over and over. So...yeah.

Since my thing is emulating other styles instead of having my own, I figured I would start by pracitcing with the simplest styles I know and then working my way from there. If I can do well with things like dynamic posing, foreshortening, expressions, etc with simple styles, then I'll move onto more complicated ones again.

I started with the My Little Pony: Friendship is Magic style. I kinda wanted to pony-fy myself anyway, so I did that.

passion_star__self_insert_pony__by_great

I gave my pony form the name Passion Star because for the longest time, I wasn't sure what my main talent was. It didn't really feel like it was art or writing or anything else like that that I do and am pretty decent to pretty good in. Then it hit me. What is it that people most often praise me for? My passion and dedication! I'm loyal to a fault when it comes to things I really love, and I remembered that people most often admire me for just that, my dedication and such.

My eyelashes really are extra long, btw. lol I don't do anything to them, they're just long! XD

Read more here. :)

Edited by Anacybele

• 2 weeks later...

I doodled these in Pokemon Art Academy during the drive to where I just moved (gotta change my location on my profile here, don't I?). They're also to celebrate gen 2 finally arriving in Pokemon GO, so they're both gen 2 Pokemon. ^^

I also did them from memory and with no references since all I had for that at the time was my phone and a phone is too small for me to use a reference reliably. Small screens don't work well for me. Using the 3DS to draw while in a moving car is tough too. So these aren't masterpieces or anything. lol (also note that the backgrounds were pre-selected, so I didn't make them). Bellossom is my favorite Grass type and Houndoom is just super cool. I can't believe Bellossom isn't found in Alola! IT'S A HULA DANCER.

WVW69kGELU8U1XEmgP

WVW69kGEL3M2_BprMb

Edited by Anacybele

Yeah, idk why the oddish line/bellossom isn't in Alola either. Looks good, probably better than I can do on my phone, but then again I've never tried. Love that houndoom! From memory and you still did okay:)

Don't have time at the moment to go through the entire thread, but I like what I see. Admittedly, I used to draw as a small-time hobby so yes, many of the criticisms here have a foundation, but you seem really devoted to your creations. Few questions:

What are you using to draw nowadays?

How do you model your poses? 

Do you have any pencil sketches? Preferably non-colored. I'd take a pen and paper drawing to be more indicative of what might need improvement. 

And I say all this with the clear distinction that I'm no expert. 

3 hours ago, Locked Apple said:

Don't have time at the moment to go through the entire thread, but I like what I see. Admittedly, I used to draw as a small-time hobby so yes, many of the criticisms here have a foundation, but you seem really devoted to your creations. Few questions:

What are you using to draw nowadays?

How do you model your poses? 

Do you have any pencil sketches? Preferably non-colored. I'd take a pen and paper drawing to be more indicative of what might need improvement. 

And I say all this with the clear distinction that I'm no expert. 

Yep! Especially many of my story characters. :)

Yeah, I want to do my best to listen to criticisms, but my main issue is that I don't l like hearing the same ones over and over even though I'm trying not to repeat my mistakes. And when I do repeat them, I most often get accused of not listening to critique...

I use mainly pencil and paper, sometimes my tablet. I'm not as experienced with a tablet yet.

Mainly references and photos and stuff like that. If I can't find a good one, well, I just do my best to make do.

See above. I've done lots of pencil sketches. I make corrections to them in Photoshop because it's easier that way.

2 hours ago, Anacybele said:

Yep! Especially many of my story characters. :)

Yeah, I want to do my best to listen to criticisms, but my main issue is that I don't l like hearing the same ones over and over even though I'm trying not to repeat my mistakes. And when I do repeat them, I most often get accused of not listening to critique...

I use mainly pencil and paper, sometimes my tablet. I'm not as experienced with a tablet yet.

Mainly references and photos and stuff like that. If I can't find a good one, well, I just do my best to make do.

See above. I've done lots of pencil sketches. I make corrections to them in Photoshop because it's easier that way.

Something I'd recommend right away is to maybe give a larger time between big posts where you display your work. Improvement is a slow process in drawing so posting too much too close is obviously going to bring in the same criticisms. Of course that doesn't mean to draw less. 

Something I like to do is really look at stuff as I walk around. There are tons of unsuspecting models in real life where you can get a good idea of physics and anatomy. 

I've looked back to about last August (sorry, 27 pages across 4 years is a lot) and found... quite a few broken image links. Possibly just sketches. The ones I did see looked very clean. My sketches are very messy with tons of erasure marks because I'm never set on where that part should go or if I really like that pose after all. I also like what I call the "mirror test". Sometimes seeing your work mirrored really brings out things you might not notice otherwise. 

19 minutes ago, Locked Apple said:

Something I'd recommend right away is to maybe give a larger time between big posts where you display your work. Improvement is a slow process in drawing so posting too much too close is obviously going to bring in the same criticisms. Of course that doesn't mean to draw less. 

Something I like to do is really look at stuff as I walk around. There are tons of unsuspecting models in real life where you can get a good idea of physics and anatomy. 

I've looked back to about last August (sorry, 27 pages across 4 years is a lot) and found... quite a few broken image links. Possibly just sketches. The ones I did see looked very clean. My sketches are very messy with tons of erasure marks because I'm never set on where that part should go or if I really like that pose after all. I also like what I call the "mirror test". Sometimes seeing your work mirrored really brings out things you might not notice otherwise. 

Huh? I already have some big gaps between my works. I go like several weeks without posting something. xP If I need to go even longer, that seems a little odd to me.

True, I think I kinda do that already too. I mean, I sometimes find myself just looking at stuff and imagining what kinds of drawings could come from them.

Yeah, I delete my sketches from my Photobucket (I don't post them to DA since the colored ones go there already. I'd basically be uploading copies otherwise) to keep it from getting full. Photobucket has limited space unless you pay for it, yet I like it enough to use, so...

The mirror test...yeah, I seem to forget about that a lot. And I remember using it before too, so it's weird that I forgot about it. I should start using it again.

Edited by Anacybele

If you don't want to hear the same criticisms over and over, then your only option is to keep working on them until their no longer criticized. You may not see the problems that others do, but as long as you keep trying you're guaranteed to improve. Trust me, you've already improved a lot from when you first started posting your stuff.

1 hour ago, Kon said:

If you don't want to hear the same criticisms over and over, then your only option is to keep working on them until their no longer criticized. You may not see the problems that others do, but as long as you keep trying you're guaranteed to improve. Trust me, you've already improved a lot from when you first started posting your stuff.

Yeah, you're right. I'm not saying I won't keep working. I'm just changing up my approach, as like I said, I feel like I'm not actually improving much. I will say that playing Disney and Pokemon Art Academy has taught me some new techniques though. I'm not sure I can replicate them as well in Photoshop as I can in those games since the tools obviously work a bit differently, but I can sure try.

• 1 month later...

Easter pic time! If you remember the Halloween one I drew, this is a sort of follow-up to it. :P It featured Ike and one of my OCs, Jerec. The latter was in a pink and white bunny costume and now he's wearing it again. lol

jerec_the_easter_bunny__by_great_aether-

Click here to read more about it!

• 3 weeks later...

Nobody commented on Bunny Jerec up there. :(

Well, here's a new pic, this time of something more high-end and less cartoony! I hadn't drawn a character from my fic, Dawn of Darkness, in quite some time, so here's Marina, the last of the three Pegasus knights that appear in the story.

Marinasketch_zps7giwujm7.png

I think I nailed the dynamic posing thing this time! Or at least, I have less stiffness going on here than before, which I was really working on improving upon. That braid was a pain in the ass though, as I'd never drawn one flipping around like that (did it for more dynamic-ness). Hopefully it looks okay. But I designed Marina with a braid because...well, I don't think we have a Peg knight in the series with a braid (Tana doesn't count because the main point of her hair is her big ponytail while the tiny braids in front of her ears are kinda minor). We got a female cavalier knight with a pretty braid (Titania) before we got a Peg knight with one! :P

(And I know, I still need to be a bit better at drawing lighter lines so I don't leave eraser smudges too... xP)

Edited by Anacybele

Yeah, it kinda does I guess. But I think I can fix it. You ought to remember Marina, Dcat, from reading that Loving Like Lartz snippet! She's Lartz's love interest. :3

IIRC, Phila (the NPC Falcon Knight from Awakening) has a French braid if that counts.  And Tana has part of her hair in braids.  But yeah, for the most part it seems that Peg Knights either have long straight hair, a bob cut, or short hair.

5 hours ago, The Geek said:

IIRC, Phila (the NPC Falcon Knight from Awakening) has a French braid if that counts.  And Tana has part of her hair in braids.  But yeah, for the most part it seems that Peg Knights either have long straight hair, a bob cut, or short hair.

I only remember Phila having a small bun or something, no braids...? o.O She isn't playable anyway and is a minor character. And I said Tana didn't count because her braids are small and minor compared to her big ponytail. I meant bigger braids like Titania's or having the hair in two braids like Rebecca.

Edited by Anacybele

15 hours ago, Anacybele said:

You ought to remember Marina, Dcat, from reading that Loving Like Lartz snippet! She's Lartz's love interest. :3

Of course. Who could forget those two who act like Jerec's favorite animal because they're branded from different tribes and thus don't have to worry about unwanted pregnancies because the genes won't mix? Lol. You should so give them an adopted kid sometime. Would be interesting if it was a wolf laguz...or if not, another branded, tribe doesn't matter. The latter seems more likely. I'm sure orphanages are full of brandeds in some places.

Everyone else is going to read that and be so confused probably xD