Ana's Art Returns!

Anacybele

Big eyes feel like a stylistic thing so I'm not really bothered by the overall size. I noted up Braviary, but i'll have some detailed notes for Ike later (and I did kind of a fun draw-over for that one... I went overboard...)

yQOswl1.jpg

If there's questions I'll try to answer them on my lunch break/commute to work or home.

• Replies 796
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yeah, they pretty much are a stylistic thing, honestly.

And no I don't have any questions, your pointers there all seem fine to me. Good to use if I end up drawing a bird again. :) So yeah, I think I understand now.

Edited by Anacybele

Big eyes feel like a stylistic thing so I'm not really bothered by the overall size.

Yeah, they pretty much are a stylistic thing, honestly.

Alright. It's just me not knowing the style then. I get a bit biased towards how I prefer my art to look when I don't know someone's style too well.

Whew, here's a bunch of notes. Sorry I was a bit late, I got sidetracked and also went way too far with this. At least I hope this ends up being useful!

xSutCro.jpg

And here is a quick redraw of your Ike image. I'm sorry I went so far with it u_U I think I was having too much fun while doing it.

Y3eCccM.jpg

Good stuff:

-Ike's face is actually really close in your original drawing. I basically only made his eyes smaller, moved down his eyebrows, made his chin a little more squared, and make his hair spikier. But it was all very small adjustments so you're on the right track.

-It's not a half bad pose with a few tweaks on the shadows.

-Overall the upper body lineart was pretty good and I followed it closely.

What did I overhaul?

-I made his upper arms a little shorter and more square. The elbow tends around the bottom of the rib cage. I also changed the wrists to make them more bent and have more overlap over the arm.

-The way I drew folds. I tried to make the cloth more naturalistic. I drew out all the curves very fast and I tend to break them apart and let them flow. My best advice is to draw a segment in one stroke, then another, then try to link them up. Don't get caught up on making a perfect curve. Instead, let it be wild! Especially with a torn up cloak, messy is good.

-My shading pass is very rough but I allow my shadows to infer some folds instead of lineart. Especially inside of the cloak. Instead of having dark shadows cast only by the leg, I just fill in nearly all of the cloak behind Ike in fully.

-Don't follow my legs I think I fell asleep doing those because I was up late whoops. They're not great <<;

-Likewise I'm gonna call Ike's shoulder guard an arm croissant from now on.

-My lineart is messy like as if I were at work, so making sure there's no linebreaks and stuff definitely takes a lot of time when you want to do clean lineart, but my best advice is really to just let your hand flow across and try to stay energetic. If you work at a high DPI and shrink down, you get more freedom to make slight imperfections with bigger brush sizes. Utilizing straight lines, but not ruler straight, and then having a curve on the other side is also very visually interesting compared to curves on everything.

No worries, I'm glad you had fun. lol And it's a good future reference to use when drawing Ike in poses like that! Thanks. :) LOL I just noticed the shoulder pauldron's resemblance to a croissant the way you drew it. XD Don't worry about it being a rough drawing, you weren't making a serious piece. :P

Anyway, I now have a finished Melanie product too. :) I'm pretty pleased with how this turned out, despite the yet again simplistic bg. I'm just not feeling like doing complicated backgrounds lately, so... Plus a blurred bg makes sense here. When you're focused on the object right in front of you, such as a person, the background will blur because it's far away.

vagabond_s_lover__melanie_by_great_aethe

I like the Tellius style. But I tend to like Tellius characters in general.

If you don't feel like complicated backgrounds, you could do simple sky type backgrounds, like either clear blue, clouds, sunsets or the like. That way you have some sort of contrast, but don't need to put too much time into something that's not meant to be focused on. In the above picture, you could keep the grass and sky, but take away the tree and house. It doesn't take away much from the overall picture, but I think that would be an example of addition by subtraction.

Me too! Tellius style is the best!

Yeah, but I felt that without things like that, it felt...well, too empty. Mel doesn't live in a big open field, she lives in a village. :P Really, I could've and probably should've made more than one house visible in the bg, but I just didn't want to go that far. Maybe she's actually on the outskirts of the village anyway.

I think it's because the house is drawn so flat on it kind of detracts from the image too. Why not a little bit of a fence and a tree? Even if it's a village, you can just do something very low in detail. Even if it's blurry I think the house is a little bit too prominent with such a dark brown and simple perspective. I honestly wouldn't mind just a plain sky BG either.

Yeah, maybe. I dunno, but I've done so much drawing lately that I want a break though. :P

Not worries, just something to think of going forward. For my own drawings, there's plenty I'm not 100% happy with, but I just try to take a bit from each going forwards.

I just doodled an idea I'd had for awhile and now it's the right time. lol

IkeJerecHalloween_zpslozxvvzn.png

It's Ike and my guy Jerec in a little Halloween comic. XD The joke is that Jerec loves rabbits and Melanie (his wife at this point) got him a bunny costume, but since rabbits are more often associated with Easter... lol

Ike is dressed as Tibarn in hawk form. I thought it fitting enough due to Ike's interest in Phoenicis at the end of PoR and the PoR memorial book saying he likes birds.

Sorry about a little bit of the image being cut off though. It turns out that my sketchbook is SLIGHTLY wider than my scanner and this particular pic took up the whole width of the page...

I think you might have an issue with pressing too hard with your pencil as evidenced by the marks still visble in the centre. You might want to consider using a softer touch on the paper until you're certain you want to commit something, that way it'll erase with ease.

I don't think she was going for quality, Shuuda. She said she just doodled the idea.

I knew someone who went as a bunny for Halloween, actually, heh.

If anything doodling is an even better to time to be loose and flowing with the pencil. I feel like I'm offering sensible advice.

Edited by Shuuda

Yeah, Shuuda's right, I do have a hard time not pressing too hard. xP I really try not to, but I'm still working on being better at this.

But surely this doesn't completely ruin the image? I mean, was it funny? That was kind of the point. :P

You forgot the second spoiler tag!

Do the people in Tellius even celebrate Halloween, or even know what Halloween is? For that matter, what about Christmas or Valentine's Day or Thanksgiving? So many questions....

Whoops, fixed. XD

Well, FE seems to have some form of Halloween if the Fates Halloween DLC is anything to go by. I actually theorize that they do have holidays SIMILAR to those you mention, maybe even near exactly the same, just with different names and different origins/reasons for celebrating them. Other forms of media have done this, actually, particularly some TV shows I know. For example, Chowder has "Kanishmas" and My Little Pony: Friendship is Magic has several holidays that mirror our own, including one that's like Halloween, and one that's like Christmas. I think there's a Valentine's Day-like one too.

I think they could even still have the same names, just for different reasons than ours!

Besides, this was just for fun. lol It'd be considered more of an AU thing than anything. :P

Edited by Anacybele

Not really, as that's just a normal white and pink bunny suit. :P Taguel look pretty different.

But Jerec would have a fondness for them, of course. lol

Edited by Anacybele

• 1 month later...

New art!

a_serenading_duo_by_great_aether-dap78di

It's Primarina and Ralph, one of my Awakening OCs! They both sing, so this works. ^^ I was going for a Lisa Frank-esque style in the rainbow background. The rainbow colors show how these two would be able to do the whole musical spectrum well!

Cool, Popplio's evolutionary line has definitely grown on me. It's pretty much the opposite of what happened with Litten's line. Is Popplio still 87.5% male, like all the other starters? Because its line is one of the most feminine looking ones we've had yet.

I almost went with Popplio, I was originally 100% going to get Litten, but I hate it's final evo, so had to pick another and went with Rowlet, since I like Ghost types.

Primarina is one of my top favorite Pokemon now, I don't care how feminine it looks, I love how beautiful it is anyway. :P And Fairy is my favorite type after Fire.

I hate Incineroar too. Why is GameFreak so allergic to making quadrupedal Fire starters stay that way lately? I was going to pick Litten at first too, thinking it could evolve into a majestic looking tiger with witch characteristics to go with that symbol on its face. All I got right was the Fire/Dark typing.

Though at the same time, if it HAD looked that good, I would've had trouble choosing between it and Primarina. :P

• 3 weeks later...

Something new! :) This is one of my couples, Jerec and Melanie, dancing together in Christmas-themed formal outfits! I'm putting a dance scene between them in the next chapter of their story, and both it and an RP I'm doing on another site with Dragoncat gave me this idea. ^^ I figure that little dance scene I came up with leads to them dancing together fairly often. Also, Melanie holding part of her dress is something I took out of Disney's Cinderella. lol

Holidaydance_zps5zw21qgv.png

Color will come soon, of course! Melanie's eye and curled hair strand will definitely get some improvement...

Edited by Anacybele