Ana's Art Returns!

Anacybele

I just finished this! It's a sketch of five out of the six ladies in my fic FE: Dawn of Darkness that get marriage endings (the sixth is excluded because she's spoilerific). They're not the only ones that get paired endings, they're just the only ones where marriage is mentioned. :P Anyway, I did it not just cause it was fun, but also to practice dynamic posing, different eye shapes and body features, and that kind of thing.

DoDswimsuitladies_zpsturkueqb.png

From left to right: Elincia, Faline, Azura, Leona, Kiara. Azura was created waaaay before Fates Azura, I swear. Anyway, the final version will also have a box with their men at the bottom of the image going all O.O with Ranulf drooling because he's Ranulf. lol

Any advice is appreciated, and of course, little improvements will be made in Photoshop.

EDIT: ...I just noticed I forgot Kiara's collarbone. Dang it. xP

Edited by Anacybele

• Replies 796
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I just finished this! It's a sketch of five out of the six ladies in my fic FE: Dawn of Darkness that get marriage endings (the sixth is excluded because she's spoilerific). They're not the only ones that get paired endings, they're just the only ones where marriage is mentioned. :P Anyway, I did it not just cause it was fun, but also to practice dynamic posing, different eye shapes and body features, and that kind of thing.

DoDswimsuitladies_zpsturkueqb.png

From left to right: Elincia, Faline, Azura, Leona, Kiara. Azura was created waaaay before Fates Azura, I swear. Anyway, the final version will also have a box with their men at the bottom of the image going all O.O with Ranulf drooling because he's Ranulf. lol

Any advice is appreciated, and of course, little improvements will be made in Photoshop.

EDIT: ...I just noticed I forgot Kiara's collarbone. Dang it. xP

Very nice, I really like your poses. I've found swimsuit drawing is a nice way to practice anatomy. Is that Elincia the same from Tellius? Since Fire Emblem has such huge casts, pretty much every name will get used eventually. My whole immediate family has a FE doppleganger, except me, if you don't think L'arachel isn't close enough to Rachel. I also have this weird coincidence, where my Dad's name is Mark, and I married a Robin.

All this swim suit stuff really puts me in the mood to swim, but I don't think I even have a suit that fits right now. I've put on weight.

Was this hand drawn, then scanned, or all done on computer? I've tried to start doing my stuff on computer, since my scanner didn't want to pick up pencil well.

Thanks, Rezzy! Yup, same Elincia, with Ike as her man/husband. :)

And yup, this is definitely a great way to practice anatomy without having to draw naked people. I kinda don't want to draw naked people. lol

And yeah, there are so many FE characters that you're bound to meet at least ONE person who has the same name as one of them. I've met somebody named Kieran before, for instance. Only one person in my family shares a name with an FE character tho, and that's my cousin Amelia. I was going to be named Amelia myself until my mom changed her mind at the mast minute.xP

Yeah, that sucks about pregnancy. You can't really wear swimsuits because of the weight gain... I mean, I never see maternity swimsuits. And this is coming from someone that works a clothes hanging job in a department store.

This was drawn by hand! This is how I start off most of my pieces. I save backgrounds and little extras for Photoshop.

While I'm not one for looking at girls in swimsuits, I agree that drawing them in swimwear/underwear/nude is a good way to get the proportions down. They all look great!

Kiara didn't need that collarbone, anyway.

Thanks, Rezzy! Yup, same Elincia, with Ike as her man/husband. :)

And yup, this is definitely a great way to practice anatomy without having to draw naked people. I kinda don't want to draw naked people. lol

And yeah, there are so many FE characters that you're bound to meet at least ONE person who has the same name as one of them. I've met somebody named Kieran before, for instance. Only one person in my family shares a name with an FE character tho, and that's my cousin Amelia. I was going to be named Amelia myself until my mom changed her mind at the mast minute.xP

Yeah, that sucks about pregnancy. You can't really wear swimsuits because of the weight gain... I mean, I never see maternity swimsuits. And this is coming from someone that works a clothes hanging job in a department store.

This was drawn by hand! This is how I start off most of my pieces. I save backgrounds and little extras for Photoshop.

I don't mind drawing nudes per se. I actually think the nude human form is a work of art itself, but it's not a piece of art you can share without getting slapped with a mature label.

I'm looking forward to being able to fit in my clothes again. Speaking of retail, I wish more stores had those self-checkout lanes. I always feel like I'm being judged when the cashier scans my stuff, particularly clothing.

I love hand drawn art, and find it easier to draw that way, but it's a lot easier to edit and make changes once it's drawn on a tablet. I made so many erasures that my end product often had lines residue that wouldn't erase.

Yeah, but it's the mature label thing. :P

I like the self-checkouts too, so I don't have to deal with rude cashiers.

Same here, but I also find it easier to color and correct mistakes in Photoshop, so that's why I do those things there.

That's very good. It's the sort of thing I might have hung on my wall about 15 years ago or so.

I think the quality is very nice, my only suggestion for next time would maybe be on the middle girl's abs. It's hard to place, but they seem to be a bit narrow. Looking at other examples, it looks like the lateral aspect of the muscle lines up with the nipple. But that's the only real criticism I can think of.

It reminds me a bit of a picture I saw with the second gen Awakening girls.

I need to go work some more on my own stuff, but unfortunately, it's been hard to find the time the last couple weeks.

Too bad no orange bikini on Elincia. I like to rock the orange.

Edited by Rezzy

I like the added expressions from the boys XD

Very well done! Looks much better from the concept art! I like the shading done in the hair, but that's probably because that's something I myself need to work on :P

Hey, you gave Kiara her collarbone back!

Really? I thought females had smaller ab muscles than males... Well, I think I can fix it in the future anyway.

But thanks, guys! Yeah, I enjoyed drawing the guys' expressions, especially Ike's. XD

Really? I thought females had smaller ab muscles than males... Well, I think I can fix it in the future anyway.

But thanks, guys! Yeah, I enjoyed drawing the guys' expressions, especially Ike's. XD

Slightly smaller, but not overly so. All muscles originate and insert in the same spots in males and females, (really, the only place you see huge differences between the sexes are in the pelvis), they're usually just less pronounced in females.

Ohhh, okay then, gotcha.

Yep, no problem. I'm pretty good at having knowledge of anatomy, by virtue of having dissected numerous cadavers and surgical experience. Transferring that knowledge to paper can be tougher than it sounds, though, and various art styles have different levels of being true to anatomy, but it's something that I've been trying to improve on.

There's also some variability from person to person. There's some muscles that a percentage of the population don't even have. Around 10-15% (including me) of the population has no palmaris longus, for example. It's a muscle in the forearm that crosses the wrist.

Yeah, I bet! I tried to take a class on anatomy once, and I was just terrible in it. lol It was too much memorization! xP And this is coming from someone that generally has a good memory. It's why my mom suggested it, actually. But it wound up being too much even for me.

Anyway, I see what you mean. Thanks! And wow, interesting. I had no idea that some people had a certain muscle and some didn't. o.o

• 4 weeks later...

Heya, I made my Halloween costume for this year. ^^

14237714_1158436437554306_49142688228339

It's Flareon! I decided to make a full costume to go with the hat. I bought the shirt and pants, but made the tail and neck fur. That's right, I have some sewing skills as well as drawing skills. ^^ Though I'm still much better at drawing. lol I really can't stitch anything well except basic pillows and quilts and that kind of stuff. lol So it was good for me that Flareon is a simple design to do a costume of.

My Flareon hat didn't originally have the same fabric on it, btw, I glued it on so it matched the rest of the costume more. The neck fur also isn't attached to the shirt, I left it separate because I thought this would make the shirt easier to put on.

You should take a selfie of yourself wearing it, to get a better idea of how it looks. It can be hard to judge free-standing clothing.

I wish I could sew worth anything. There's all sorts of medieval era dresses I'd like to wear, but they cost hundreds of dollars online.

I will eventually, don't worry. I just don't have a good place to take a full body selfie right now. xP

And yeah, that stuff is pretty expensive. But making your own costumes can be expensive too. That fabric I used to make that tail and neck fur? It and the stuffing I bought together wound up totaling to $40. It was worth it in the end, but still. Due to how expensive fabrics and other materials can be, I don't think it'd be much cheaper to make costumes instead of buying them.

Oh wow, thanks, Nym. ^^; *blushes*

That Mario throw blanket or the comforter under it, Power Master? lol either way, awesome. XD And thanks! And as I said, I definitely will also do a pic of me wearing it, but that won't be until Halloween itself. I mean, it would kinda ruin the fun of doing an actual Halloween photo otherwise. :P

• 3 weeks later...

Next pic! I got this idea some time ago and Kirokan's PoR book translations only made me want to draw it more, so I did. :P

IkeandBraviarysketch_zps1iqzutwq.png

It's Ike with a Braviary! I swear this fits so well it hurts. XD

- THEY BOTH FIGHT FOR THEIR FRIENDS. No joke, Braviary's Pokedex entry for ORAS literally says this. lol (I realize that for Ike this is only a localization thing, but I don't care. :P)
- They're both American styled, or at least in Ike's case, he's implied to be. Braviary is based off of the bald eagle, the US's national bird.
- Ike also likes birds! (this is in the PoR book) He'd definitely have as many bird Pokemon as he could, I bet. Rowlet line, Talonflame, and Swanna would be in his team for a bit of type variety (Grass, Fire, and Water as well as Flying)
- Both are patriotic. Because the bald eagle is the US's national bird, that automatically makes it a patriotic symbol. Ike is referred to as a patriotic hero sometimes according to the PoR overview/memorial book.
- Both are very strong physically. Ike has big muscles and a high strength stat and Braviary has a high attack stat.
- Both are male! Braviary is never female. Manliness ftw.
- Lastly, Braviary's inspiration, the bald eagle, is a bird of prey, meaning it eats meat. Ike loves it too!

I hope Braviary doesn't look too big or too small compared to his trainer here. XD Braviary's Pokedex entry says it's exactly my height, 4'11" and I theorize RD Ike here to be around 6'2"-6'3". So I think I got their heights relative to one another close at least. (also, I belatedly noticed I forgot a line across Braviary's rear, so I'll fix that in the coloring phase)

Edited by Anacybele