Ana's Art Returns!

Anacybele

when i said the plates look like circles on the ground i meant they look like paper, not like plates, as does the meat. also don't put your faith in what a high school art teacher says even if there and actual artist, if there teaching high school art classes, there most likely not that great of an artist, a competent one sure but most likely not the greatest of artists, also art is taught poorly in the grade school curriculum so really even more reason to not have faith in high school art classes.

Oh, I didn't know you were an expert on who people should listen to when it comes to art. I've never seen you post any art here, what makes you think I should consider you a pro on the subject?

as for the perspective the table in front of the family has a completely different angle to it then the counter in the back, with the one in front we can see the top of the table and yet in the back all we can see is one of the sides of the table? it makes it look like part of the wall paper not an actual part of the house. also the background in the window looks and im sorry i have to say this, really bad, though the tree and wall are constructed well enough to be identified as such they lack any life to them, and they don't even look like there part of the landscape instead looking like cut-out stickers pasted on the wall (trees have roots and even then there usually in the ground not on top of it.) and again the way there positioned changes the angle when looking towards the horizon, colour can fix things in a drawing true it can only fix so much. also the style of the house screams more modern apartment then old timey fantasy log cabin, and it clashes with the fact there still wearing there old timey fantasy cloths.

It isn't meant to be a log cabin. That would be too small for even a family of four. It's mean to be a stone/brick house, like the ones we see in some of the FE conversation backgrounds. Also, I obviously haven't added every detail in this yet, that will come with color and shading. Lineart is supposed to just be that, outlines. Not a completed picture.

If anything just looks bad to you, well, that's your opinion. I can't stop you from thinking it.

all in all you defiantly have a concept for a drawing here but its lost by poor construction (not the worse ive ever seen but im sure you can do better dammit) and it comes off as lazy. if your really determined to turn this into a more professional looking piece id recommend redrawing it, because as it is now it comes off as lazy.

Excuse me? I spent nearly a week on this. I'm not redrawing shit in it. I'll tweak a few things, but you have some nerve coming in here and telling me to just erase this and redraw it completely after how much work I put into it. You try being an artist, drawing a complex piece like this, and then have someone tell you what you just told me. It would feel pretty shitty, wouldn't it?

Perspective have to do with everything, though. You draw a person, the way certain limbs look the way they do? Perspective. Hold their hand out in front of them? Perspective. Its importance becomes more pronounced whenever you do a piece with any sort of environment, however.

Depth can be conveyed in a line drawing using variation of line weight. Generally, you want objects that look more solid to have heavier lines, while lighter objects with lighter lines. Googling up some tutorials would be more help more than me if you want to look further into this subject, since I'm more of a painter--though in painting we have a similar idea: closer edges of an object tend to be more sharply defined while further edges tend to be more blended.

Oh. Well, I hadn't realized that.

As for depth, yeah, I was taught about line weight and all by Samias, I think. Somebody on this site, anyway. I'm still learning to understand where lines should be thicker and thinner.

But thanks, I'll check out a tutorial in the morning. It's really late here and I must get to bed.

Edited by Anacybele

• Replies 796
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It would feel pretty shitty, wouldn't it?

Not really

I know my boyfriend has gotten things like this in the past, and he's just redrawn stuff

you don't have to, but it's not something that makes a lot of artists feel shitty, at least not around here

most people just do it again and then it looks better and everything is hunky dory \ '3'/

again, you don't have to, and I don't expect you will, but it's really not as rude, towards most people, as you might think

also P.S. I am sure you'll disagree but that's fine, I wasn't expecting you to agree, lol, just adding my two cents because I know from speaking to a lot of the artists on SF, that they're mostly fine with this ideology. Also personal experience with my own art, eheheh.

Edited by I have opinions

Oh, I didn't know you were an expert on who people should listen to when it comes to art. I've never seen you post any art here, what makes you think I should consider you a pro on the subject?

im not a professional and you dont have to listen to me, im just suggesting what i think might improve your picture, and hell you dont even have to listen to me when it comes to who to listen to, if you want to go ahead and swallow the public school systems crap, im just saying a warning that amounts to hot air to some i guess. as for my own art ork i have a sprite gallery on serenes that i barely update, and my own sketches i dont feel comfortable in sharing via the internet, being as most what i do is bullshit doodles really.

It isn't meant to be a log cabin. That would be too small for even a family of four. It's mean to be a stone/brick house, like the ones we see in some of the FE conversation backgrounds. Also, I obviously haven't added every detail in this yet, that will come with color and shading. Lineart is supposed to just be that, outlines. Not a completed picture.

If anything just looks bad to you, well, that's your opinion. I can't stop you from thinking it.

then it doesn't look like a stone cabin, give some stone like quality's to that back wall don't just leave it as is, because as is it looks like an apartment wall. yes its an outline but since you seem to be going into detail with the brick wall and the cloths so then there shouldn't be a problem now should there.

Excuse me? I spent nearly a week on this. I'm not redrawing shit in it. I'll tweak a few things, but you have some nerve coming in here and telling me to just erase this and redraw it completely after how much work I put into it. You try being an artist, drawing a complex piece like this, and then have someone tell you what you just told me. It would feel pretty shitty, wouldn't it?

yes it does but its something that is going to happen many times in your life, i know this from personal experience and it feels shitty but the end result is worth it. hell if you didn't redraw pictures multiple times to get it perfect then i would say you weren't a very committed artist, but you dont have to listen to me so go ahead and continue but as it is it looks lazy.

bold is the responses, and late is the night. at this point i care little if you consider anything i say because i doubt im even saying anything. damn thee nightly disillusion's, you make my head swim with thoughts of insanity.

Looking good with the background. I knew those were ribs right away. A spine lol...I mean I'm guilty of yelling "good boy" at the TV when Ike killed a big armor knight in PoR, but that's the closest to dog he'll be. He's not going to gnaw on bones unless they have meat on them xD

Yeah, I assume since it's fantasy, they can be a bit more technologically advanced. They might even have indoor plumbing. That was invented by the ancient romans irl, so yeah. And there's toilets in a few Zelda games. But anyway, as long as you don't decide to throw a microwave in, you're good.

EDIT - Wow drama again... *slinks away slowly*

Edited by Dragoncat

bold is the responses, and late is the night. at this point i care little if you consider anything i say because i doubt im even saying anything. damn thee nightly disillusion's, you make my head swim with thoughts of insanity.

Just to point out, I don't think you're attacking me. I learned not to come to this conclusion a lot. You're just trying to help. But I don't think you're doing it the right way.

If there's problems with the perspective, as you say, I'll fix that. But I don't think I need to redraw the entire picture. You said the characters looked fine enough, didn't you? The problem is only the background.

I'm thinking that I need to go back to the technique for perspective that I learned in school from my teacher. Which I haven't been using, that might be my problem. She taught us to first put a dot on the paper to use as a "vanishing point" of sorts. Where all the lines would eventually meet if they were connected. I haven't been doing this because I never felt that it was necessary in the pieces I was making. I thought I wasn't doing perspective drawing. But I guess I'm wrong here and that I need to use the dot again.

But a few things to keep in mind: you only see the front of the counter because it's higher than the table. I only drew the front of the cabinet on the wall because the viewer is looking at it from the front. But I can easily tweak them for better perspective and go look at a tutorial like Thor suggested if needed. As for the window and outside, as I said, not all the details are there. The tree roots going into the ground, the grass, the leaves on the bush, that'll come with the color and shading. Maybe even a little more lineart too.

I'm aware that artists redraw things. But I've never heard of any of them doing so for a piece they just did. I've only seen them redraw something they made like two or three years before. Maybe just one year. I've even done that since I had redrawn the character art for Azura (which kind of needs redrawn again though lol).

Believe me, I'm going to fix things you say need fixing. I just won't completely redraw anything.

Looking good with the background. I knew those were ribs right away. A spine lol...I mean I'm guilty of yelling "good boy" at the TV when Ike killed a big armor knight in PoR, but that's the closest to dog he'll be. He's not going to gnaw on bones unless they have meat on them xD

Yeah, I assume since it's fantasy, they can be a bit more technologically advanced. They might even have indoor plumbing. That was invented by the ancient romans irl, so yeah. And there's toilets in a few Zelda games. But anyway, as long as you don't decide to throw a microwave in, you're good.

EDIT - Wow drama again... *slinks away slowly*

Haha, well, looking at it again I can see how it also resembles a spine. lol Silly me. Gonna have to fix that. It IS kinda creepy. XD I'll look at a picture of ribs.

I actually came up with a sort of system similar to plumbing in my Elibe fic. There's a well beneath the kitchen and bathroom, and a pump is used to bring the water in it to the surface so it can be used inside the house without having to go out into the cold to get it (it takes place in Ilia).

Yeah, and now Awakening has candy, inner tubes, and party hats. lol

This kind of thing happens on occasion here. Someone gives harsh critique, I get upset and think they're attacking me or something, yadda yadda. Difference is now though, I'm not accusing anyone of attacking me anymore. I've learned to be better than that.

Edited by Anacybele

Alright, fixed the perspective up. Though it's probably still not perfect, I actually once again didn't use that "vanishing point" dot technique. I just wasn't sure where I would put the dot at this point. But the BG should still look better now.

IkeElinciafamily10thWIP_zpstryiqv2t.png

Also made the ribs look a bit more like ribs, hopefully, after looking at a picture of some. :P Still unsure about what to do with the plates and steaks though. Color and shading might fix them. The stuff in the window will be fixed when I do that too.

I started throwing in color too, as you can see, though no shading yet still. I save that for last. Kael got his dad's messy blue hair syndrome. lol And if this here was canon, Kael would be the only blue-haired main character in the series that doesn't also have blue eyes, I think. Lalita has Ike's blue eyes though, btw.

I finally finished it! ^^ And adjusted a few more little things in the process. :)

happy_10th_anniversary__by_great_aether-

"Daddy! Daddy! Carry me on your shoulder again!"

"Heh, alright, little princess. Up you go!"

"Wee! You're so strong!"

"Alright! Ribs and steaks! You're amazing, Mom!"

"Hee hee, he is very much your son, Ike."

"Ha, that he is. We've raised quite a family here, haven't we?"

"That we have! I told you that you would be a wonderful father."

"It does seem that I underestimated myself there. Although it took me some doing to get the hang of it."

"Yet it paid off in the end. Happy anniversary, dear."

"Happy anniversary to you too, hun."

Edited by Anacybele

didn't Ike pretty much walk off into the sunset never to be seen or heard from again?

to me the perspective the ribs look kind of off ie they dont look like they're on a plate on the counter but more just kinda pasted there

Ana, could you please change your avatar? It makes me cringe every time I see it.

Seconding this, nipple lord of the tatas isn't exactly the thing I want people seeing when they're looking over my shoulder (which is fairly often).

Sorry, but I'm not changing my avatar just because some people dislike it. Now please leave it alone. Also, you best stay away from pools and beaches if you don't like seeing men's nipples.

I was just asking you to be more modest. Not sure how to describe the etiquette of when and when not to know when certain things are appropriate and at what level of broadcasting. I come from a very conservative background so my browsing threshold is very low for things that even appear to be leading towards erotica (nothing hints that it's something more contexually acceptable like being at the beach or performing a workout routine). I like being able to control when/how long I see it, like in a sig or a single post, but it can't be controlled and it's very prevalent when it's an avatar.

Except Ike is clearly not naked or anything since he's wearing pants. He's probably just working out or something as you said. Nothing wrong with that. Also, if you think my avy is problematic, you should see how many people on here have sigs of females in their underwear or extremely revealing clothing or some such. My avy is at least showing something more normal. Plenty of men take their shirts off every now and then in front of others.

Also, this thread is about my artwork, not my spritework.

Edited by Anacybele

Except Ike is clearly not naked or anything since he's wearing pants. He's probably just working out or something as you said. Nothing wrong with that. Also, if you think my avy is problematic, you should see how many people on here have sigs of females in their underwear or extremely revealing clothing or some such. My avy is at least showing something more normal. Plenty of men take their shirts off every now and then in front of others.

Signatures on SF can be turned off. Avatars, on the other hand, cannot. And I'm not gonna lie, on first glance it does kind of look like Ike is naked because not everyone is going to, uh, gravitate to his … bottom.

Well, the point is that he isn't, so there's still no issue. And again, if anyone wants to complain to me about this further, please take it to PM or my sprite thread. This isn't the place for it.

Are people still arguing about the shirtless Ike? Nipple lord of the tatas lol...

Idk. It doesn't bug me, but if it bugs some people, I'm sorry but I think it should be changed. Either that or endure people complaining about it for who knows how long. Sometimes you've got to pick your battles.

You too, Dragoncat? Gods, this isn't your fault, but I'm honestly getting tired of people telling me to change my avatar after I've stated more than once that I will not do so. It's silly to get rid of something just because a few others don't like it. I like it, so I want to keep it.

I will only change it if a mod tells me to, and no mods seem to have a problem with it.

Edited by Anacybele

It's not a matter of some people just not liking it. Lenh explained that she comes from a very conservative background and has a low threshold for things like your avatar. He may not be naked but not everyone will notice it at first glance. I've been looking at your avatar for a while now and I only noticed the pants after you mentioned that he was wearing them.

No one is forcing you to change your avatar, they just asked that you would because your avatar is really bothering them.

I just suggested that it would be better to avoid conflict...up to you though. Like I said it doesnt bother me. But I do agree that if somebody looked over my shoulder and saw it it would be a little awkward.

It's not a matter of some people just not liking it. Lenh explained that she comes from a very conservative background and has a low threshold for things like your avatar. He may not be naked but not everyone will notice it at first glance. I've been looking at your avatar for a while now and I only noticed the pants after you mentioned that he was wearing them.

No one is forcing you to change your avatar, they just asked that you would because your avatar is really bothering them.

Yeah, I know, that means Lenh doesn't like it. And Lenh is just one person. I don't think it'd make any sense to base a rule of no shirtless guy avatars off of one person's background.

And exactly, just because it bothers them and it's not to their tastes. Other people's avatars on this site have bothered me, but I don't ask them to change it.

I just suggested that it would be better to avoid conflict...up to you though. Like I said it doesnt bother me. But I do agree that if somebody looked over my shoulder and saw it it would be a little awkward.

Maybe, but sometimes awkward moments happen.

That means it was making her uncomfortable. Being bothered by something doesn't automatically mean that someone just doesn't like it. Your avatar genuinely makes me feel uncomfortable, and I'm not someone who's usually so bothered by things like this.

Yes, like I said, some avatars and such on here make me uncomfortable too. But I do my best to ignore them rather than ask their owners to change them.

Not to point fingers, but Raven has scantly clad girls in his sig with big boobs and nobody complains, so you have a point, BUT like was said, sigs can be turned off. Avatars can't...

I guess the way to solve it would be to move it to your sig? But that's full already. Idk.

Makaze was kind enough to fulfill my request for a script that customizes avatars. The only changes are on your end and does not in any way affect those whose avatar's you changed. You can also apply the changes to your own avatar without affecting whatever you normally have set.

I think one of the best alternatives is changing your avatar normally and keeping your shirtless Ike avatar through the custom script. You can ogle your shirtless Ike as much as you want and people will stop asking you to change your avatar.

I can provide a link to the script if you want

I don't know a single thing about script though, so I wouldn't be able to do that, I'm afraid. Plus, it sounds way more complicated than just going to the change avatar setting on your profile options. A better option, imo, would to make avys like sigs and enable them to be turned off.

And yeah, Dragoncat, my sig is pretty full. It would also probably look kind of disorganized if I threw that shirtless Ike sprite in there.

Edited by Anacybele