Wearing hats indoors, why is it rude?

Darros

35 members have voted

1. 1. Wearing Hats Indoors...

• I think it's fine
    • I think it's rude

So, recently I've been given a bit of flak because I've been wearing ball caps at school. Whenever I leave my house, I always have my ball cap on unless I'm eating dinner at a restaurant or I'm at a formal occasion. I was recently informed that wearing hats indoors is rude, and I was told to google why it is. I did, and the reasons I came up with were either "it's rude because it is" or "it's because of old-fashioned reasons about tipping hats for politeness".

So, concerning hats indoors, why is it considered rude? Is there a real reason today or it it just something from tradition that's been carried on. And what's your stance on wearing hats indoors, okay or not?

Personally, I wear mostly wear hats only when I'm spending a lot of time outside, so as to either avoid too much exposure, which could lead to sunburn and, later, skin cancer, or just to bundle up in cold/precipitous weather. I don't usually consider somebody rude for wearing a hat indoors, I just don't myself because I don't actually like how I look or feel with one. Same deal when I wear sunglasses, in that regard.

As for other people, dunno. Fashion faux pas maybe? (bullshitting past this point) People worried you're hiding something? "I don't get to wear one so neither do you" maybe? Maybe it's like taking shoes and/or coats off when in somebody's house. But then I always do that for the sake of comfort (again), so hmm

I've never heard of this and have been around plenty of people (usually ages 18-20) wearing hats indoors. Of course there are certain occasions where some forms of attire are inappropriate, including most hats.

I'd say it's a tradition thing. Often new generations form new views on such subjective topics - like how a number of older people despise how today's youth uses technology or supports homosexuality (compared to older demographics).

To me, I've never seen anything wrong with wearing hats indoors - I view it as another way for one to identify his or herself.

Military aside (and groups that have their own rules which are known by people before even joining them), having people think its rude is ridiculous to be honest. In no way is it affecting anyone in the room you are with. If they are bothered by it then they have deeper problems. Problems which removing your hat isn't going to solve, so you might as well keep wearing it.

Interesting topic. =) I find something unsettling about it, and I'm not sure why. A couple guys at my college wear baseball caps in class. It doesn't bother me enough to bring it up (or usually to think twice), but I sometimes get an "...Ugh" first impression. I suppose it can come off as apathetic or arrogant. I usually get that vibe if there are other subconscious cues, like the person's body language, resting facial expression, tone of voice, etc.

Anyway, if you enjoy wearing it, it's really not a big deal. If someone wants to engage with you, they'll be able to see past the hat. :P:

I'm not sure why it was once considered vulgar. I tried to google it, but came up with no consensus. I suppose it's just an odd custom that persisted into the present day, kind of like putting one's elbows on a table.

Edited by Paulina

It is a fairly common cultural nicety to remove a hat indoors for a multitude of reasons, but it's mostly because of the fact that it conveys disrespect to the person that owns the room/building. Hats are commonly an item of protection, either from the extremities outside or from others' prying eyes. By entering someone else's abode you're accepting their hospitality, and so remove your hat to show respect and trust towards them. You're indicating that you are accepting their kindness by partially letting down your defenses. This tradition is the leftover of times past, but I think it holds well today. I generally am not set off by someone that is wearing a tight-fitting cap, but when I see someone in a classroom wearing a big ol' cowboy hat, I want to saunter on over and karate chop them in the neck.

This also helps explain why it is so prevalent everywhere; it's not an entirely learned behavior.

I remember in school we couldn't wear hats because it was disrespectful to the people sitting behind you by distracting them and blocking their field of vision. Plus, they shade your eyes which I imagine is annoying to teachers. Generally the aversion to hats indoors is that hats distract people from making eye contact. However I find in most setting a tight-fitting cap is fairly non-offensive especially when I have friends who are majorly balding and don't want to wear a wig or toupee or embrace the baldness.

It is a fairly common cultural nicety to remove a hat indoors for a multitude of reasons, but it's mostly because of the fact that it conveys disrespect to the person that owns the room/building. Hats are commonly an item of protection, either from the extremities outside or from others' prying eyes. By entering someone else's abode you're accepting their hospitality, and so remove your hat to show respect and trust towards them. You're indicating that you are accepting their kindness by partially letting down your defenses. This tradition is the leftover of times past, but I think it holds well today. I generally am not set off by someone that is wearing a tight-fitting cap, but when I see someone in a classroom wearing a big ol' cowboy hat, I want to saunter on over and karate chop them in the neck.

This also helps explain why it is so prevalent everywhere; it's not an entirely learned behavior.

This is a good post.

Have to say I am pretty annoyed if I have guests wearing hats in my house, lol. It might be a little irrational, but I just don't like it.

I think wearing hats indoors is fine. I myself am not much of a hat person but many people around my university wear hats indoors and I don't see anything wrong with it. Even if I have a friend over and they're wearing a hat, I think it is fine. I mean, I want them to be comfortable and welcome in my home, and if that's what makes them comfortable or whatever then it is okay with me!

I guess it could be part of a lingering sense of rebellion from elementary and high school where teachers were adamant about not allowing students to wear hats because "they said so".

Still, I do think that it's not always appropriate, like at a funeral or formal event.

Don't know that this is exclusively a military thing. Remember, people have been wearing hats for various reasons since time in memoriam. I've found a few different reasons:

1. It was more common for men men to wear hats when outdoors. They were expected to "uncover" themselves when inside a church or at a religious place.
  2. This tradition dates back to when people often wore helms/helmets: removing the helm when in another's home showed trust in your guest (you didn't feel a need to protect yourself around them). By leaving it on, you were telling your guest that you would take advantage of their hospitality but didn't trust them enough to expose yourself to them. Might be related to the military reason also
  3. In America, people wore hats to protect themselves from the sun, dirt, and wind from outdoors. Wearing a hat in someone's home was implying their home was dirty or "outdoorsy" for lack of a better word
  4. On a related note, most people wear hats outdoors. The hat can get dirty and sweaty, so it would be considered polite to remove the hat upon entering another's home and leave it in a closet or space for outdoor shoes, coats, etc. I grew up on a horse ranch, and my house had a "muck-room" for leaving muddy shoes, work gloves, coveralls, etc that would get dirty from working with horses, cleaning out stalls, maintaining fences, sheds, etc.
  5. As much as you may not like it, a very common answer is that a person is simply expected to. Most books on etiquette say it is proper to do so, but don't go in to any real detail as to why. Still, there was a time in many countries (namely US and Western Europe) where everyone wanted to show how civilized they were, so books that said it was not proper to wear hats in doors would be a major factor in shaping social attitudes towards it. If the literate upper class practiced it, I can see many lower class individuals adopting similar practices to show they were civilized.
  6. Also remember, hats with low brims (such as many types of baseball cap) interfere with eye contact when speaking to people. You have an excuse to wear it outside in the sun, but wearing it indoors might give the impression you are trying to avoid eye contact. That's a very common nonverbal hint that someone has something to hide.

With all that said, I think we also need to look at the context. The immediate problems I can see with wearing a hat in school are:

1. It makes it harder for teachers to see if students are keeping their eyes on their own paper during exams
  2. Part of public school's function is to promote social/communication skills development. "Hiding" behind the brim of a hat when talking to people could interfere with that.
  3. I've heard some teachers say that hats are a distraction. Not sure if I believe that, but I'll list that too. I guess some people play with their hats in class.
  4. It might simply be against school dress code. Even if a school doesn't have an official uniform, it still has a dress code and hats may be prohibited.

Even with all that said, this really varies from place to place. I went to school in a very rural, agricultural part of the US. It wasn't uncommon for students to wear caps in class in high school and most teachers didn't care at that point either. I guess they figured if someone was old enough to drive themselves to school, they were old enough to handle wearing a hat like a rational human being. Wow, I kinda rambled. Sorry for the long post, hehehe.

Edited by Sheik

I can see why it's considered rude, although it doesn't bother me at all and I always disregarded it. I mean, I felt like a jerk ignoring it but I was Touhou-level obsessed with wearing at least something on my head for years.